U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2019, 08:12 AM
 
9,521 posts, read 5,715,882 times
Reputation: 2256

Advertisements

Hi, my Wife and I plan to move further down in the U.S.

Going to ask this same question on a few other forums on this site as well.

My Wife and I want to move South as a way to jumpstart our careers. Becoming an RN up North is an expensive journey and no guarantee of every being accepted into a program. We know people who made the venture South and graduated came back up North as a RN.

For us though we plan to stay South. Less Winter. Humidity isn't that awful. Food is good in the South. Lots more activities for children, with one on the way. Taxes are less. Food is less. Gas is less.

Yes with lower living pay is less will be a change in lifestyle.

We hope to find work prior coming down. However, few years back we tried didn't work out well. Had to figure ways to make the schedule flexible and head down for interviews. My Wife had some school stuff going on and our MIL was still working.

Plan to bulk up our savings make it a cushion. Might have to make the leap without jobs and obtain jobs when down there.

Our main goal is first find a place to rent. Want to find affordable rent that is going to be around $1,000 or less for a 2bdrm. Where in SC do you think we be more prone to finding rentals in that range?

Secondly for work my Wife is an LPN. I figure healthcare jobs shouldn't be an issue for her. She is hoping to find work that is associated with an hospital in the area even if an outpatient clinic just due to the plus of benefits. Myself have worked in healthcare for almost 10 years and wearing various hats. Right now work in Psych as a counselor/tech and working on obtaining my EMT cert. Where we end up want to be in proximity to area hospitals.

Thirdly we want to try to be near schools that offer nursing program's.

Any recommendations on areas in SC to check out? Have family in Conway should mention.

Probably going to just make the jump without taking a look at an area. With renting it is only temporary and can make drives to other areas in the South see where we like and don't like.

Thanks & Appreciate the feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
 
9,521 posts, read 5,715,882 times
Reputation: 2256
Hi, so doing my due diligence with regards to taxes and other various fees. Income tax seems lower in NC compared to SC by $900-$1000 a year. Probably varies but calculated it out by using a salary of $32,000 for comparison.

However, property tax is much less overall in SC than NC.

Sales tax is lower in NC. However, combined with most Counties in NC sales tax the rate is higher than SC.

Gas appears to be cheaper in SC by 40 cents and gas tax is 14 cents less.

Difficult to asses which State has the lower home values.

Public higher education tuition is much higher in SC $150 more a credit.

This one is hard to asses. The jobs in the fields my Wife and are looking at pay about $2 more an hour in SC.

As far as rents again it varies. Trying to keep below that $1100 (More $1,000 or less) for a 2 bed 1 bath apartment.

As we are looking to rent in an area where there is hospitals and schools looking at the towns and cities you hear a lot about.

For NC looking at Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham, and Charlotte.

With SC looking at Greenville County area, Fort Mill/Rock Hill, Columbia, and Conway.

Also not a huge issue as of yet. Hopefully when all is said and done for school for my Wife and I our daughter will be in Kindergarten. By that time should hopefully find a location plan on staying in.

As far as ranking school districts any idea where those towns, Cities, and Counties stand in comparison?

With daycare it's about the same for both Carolina's averaging around $10,000.

Appreciate any insight or feedback can give on these 2 States? Where would you recommend moving to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM
 
2,784 posts, read 2,621,834 times
Reputation: 2134
With sales tax, you need to keep in mind that the local part of the sales tax in NC covers pretty much everything. In SC, for the most part, groceries aren't subject to any sales tax.

SC also has a lottery tuition reimbursement that covers most courses towards a degree at technical colleges, which brings the amount paid for SC residents down significantly. Greenville tech gives an example for their tuition here:
https://www.gvltec.edu/admissions_ai...nts/index.html

For our family, we found the overall tax burden in SC to be a bit less than in NC but a lot of that will depend on your individual situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM
 
9,521 posts, read 5,715,882 times
Reputation: 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
With sales tax, you need to keep in mind that the local part of the sales tax in NC covers pretty much everything. In SC, for the most part, groceries aren't subject to any sales tax.

SC also has a lottery tuition reimbursement that covers most courses towards a degree at technical colleges, which brings the amount paid for SC residents down significantly. Greenville tech gives an example for their tuition here:
https://www.gvltec.edu/admissions_ai...nts/index.html

For our family, we found the overall tax burden in SC to be a bit less than in NC but a lot of that will depend on your individual situation.
Yes I saw both of those and that is a huge consideration.

Outside of the Triangle and Charlotte from what I have researched South Carolina rents in their larger towns and Cities appear to have higher rents compared to Cities like Greensboro NC.

I think we are leaning g more towards SC. Specifically Greenville & Suburbs, Columbia & Suburbs, and Conway (Have family in Conway).

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-31-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 03:10 PM
 
1,082 posts, read 686,039 times
Reputation: 916
Doesn't Greenville Tech have an RN nursing program that doesn't require a four year degree?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 2,621,834 times
Reputation: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Doesn't Greenville Tech have an RN nursing program that doesn't require a four year degree?
There are still technically some Associate degree RN programs but you will need about a year's worth of credits in college level math, science, and pre-nursing to have enough points to get into the 2 year nursing program. By the time you get your RN you will have 3 years invested. It's the same for most of the other medical technology associate programs at Greenville Tech (Dental Hygenistst, X-ray, Ultrasound, Surgical, and other similar Technologists).

After that 3 years, if you get your RN and get a job in a hospital they will put you on a timer to get your BS degree in nursing as they require their career nurses to have a 4 year degree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM
 
1,082 posts, read 686,039 times
Reputation: 916
Good clarification Vol.Thats what these folks need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Aiken, South Carolina, US of A
1,793 posts, read 4,303,391 times
Reputation: 3652
RunD1987,
Take a look at Aiken, SC.
Aiken Technical College is VERY inexpensive, has an RN program, even a program especially designed for LPN, I think it may be as little as a year to get an RN.
Aiken is only 14 miles to a major city in Georgia, Augusta, if you are looking for work, and Aiken itself has many opportunities for RN's. There is very good health care in Aiken.
Aiken has a small town feel, great to raise a family in.
You really should just visit, and see. There is also USC here too, right across the street from the hospital, if you want to continue your education.
You will have no problem finding a place to rent at 1,000.00 a month. You can get a nice apartment here for that.
I recommend you rent anyway, until you decide where you want to live.
Good Luck to you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 08:33 PM
 
9,521 posts, read 5,715,882 times
Reputation: 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are still technically some Associate degree RN programs but you will need about a year's worth of credits in college level math, science, and pre-nursing to have enough points to get into the 2 year nursing program. By the time you get your RN you will have 3 years invested. It's the same for most of the other medical technology associate programs at Greenville Tech (Dental Hygenistst, X-ray, Ultrasound, Surgical, and other similar Technologists).

After that 3 years, if you get your RN and get a job in a hospital they will put you on a timer to get your BS degree in nursing as they require their career nurses to have a 4 year degree.
True my issue up North is prerequisite expire. The programs here are 60 students and there a 6 Tech/Community College programs. They only accept admissions for the Fall. You really need to have to have a 4.0 A&P 1 grade and 80 on the TEAS or your not getting in. Because it is all by lotto. They have about 15 to 20 slots reserved for LPNs and then the rest are via lottery.

I prefer a point system way better almost got into the one program in the State that does it. However, it was a private college and $60K for the program in total. So I decided to not go any further.

Then life took over and been out of school for a year.

Do agree kind of need a BSN now a days if you want to work in the hospital.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-31-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Detroit
680 posts, read 303,162 times
Reputation: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
True my issue up North is prerequisite expire. The programs here are 60 students and there a 6 Tech/Community College programs. They only accept admissions for the Fall. You really need to have to have a 4.0 A&P 1 grade and 80 on the TEAS or your not getting in. Because it is all by lotto. They have about 15 to 20 slots reserved for LPNs and then the rest are via lottery.

I prefer a point system way better almost got into the one program in the State that does it. However, it was a private college and $60K for the program in total. So I decided to not go any further.

Then life took over and been out of school for a year.

Do agree kind of need a BSN now a days if you want to work in the hospital.
Sounds similar to me. My wife and I grew tired of living in a northern state(Michigan). Decided on Greenville, SC. I work at a hospital doing something like what you're doing. There's pros and cons to moving. The biggest pro for us was the weather. Being born and raised in MI, I couldn't take the cold and gloomy weather anymore, we both needed a change. We've been here a month now, and love it. Took 2 trips to Charleston, went to the beach. Take date nights in downtown Greenville. Certain things are cheaper, and some more expensive, it all balances out I believe or comes close to it. To get into more details, I found gas is cheaper, food prices the same, income taxes higher(7% compared to 4.25% in MI), property taxes are low(but you do pay property taxes on cars in SC), wages and benefits are generally lower than northern states. Nurses where I worked in MI made $27-$40 an hour and were given thousands in gift cards for picking up shifts, nurses in upstate SC make $21-$31 with almost no perks/less supplemental pay. You have to weigh the pros and cons, and be willing to accept the cons. We thought about FL....it has no income tax and higher wages, but ruled that out, been there enough to know we didn't want to live there. I like the mountains and ocean, SC offers both, and you still get all four seasons. Greenville is near the foothills of the mountains and has less humidity than Columbia or Charleston, winters are mild.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 06-02-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top