Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times

Advertisements

I'm not quite sure SC high-speed rail would work well. Unless of course there was a Greenville-Columbia-Charleston route, taking people right to the beach. A route like that would take traffic off of I-385 and I-26. Between Greenville and Columbia it is almost a straight shot via CSX's CN&L Subdivision up to Laurens, getting to downtown Greenville from there might be an issue because the current line between the two is a 'shortline' (locally owned, speed limit 15mph). From Columbia via Norfolk Southern to downtown Charleston or build an extension out to Isle of Palms or something like that. If you could get the speed limits on the corridor up to 79mph like they were made for then you have a feasible route for vacationers.

Amtrak is crappy service, and their hours are inconvenient. If this corridor is to work, it would need to be locally and state sponsored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I once rode The Piedmont from Charlotte to Raleigh because I thought that it would be fun. I was wrong. Between getting to and from the train stations and the 3+ hour ride time, Amtrack took what should have been a 2.5 hour trip and turned it into a 4+ hour journey.

That is unfortunate. I often ride Amtrak's Palmetto to/from Florence to Baltimore. I usualy get a ride to Florence because the train leaves there at 12pm and arrives in Baltimore at 9pm scheduled though it is often 1hr to 1hr 30min late. Coming down it leaves Baltimore at 9am and arrives by 6pm in Florence. I do not ride out of Columbia because the train leaves and arrives in the early am. The Silver Star that runs through Columbia also runs between NY and Miami.. which gives it plenty of opportunity to get delayed. The Palmetto is a medium haul train that runs from NY to Savannah. It is frequented by tourists going to the GA and SC Coast in addition to many College Students traveling to and from School. Amtrak had indicated their delays are caused by freight traffic from the freight companies who own the rails that Amtrak uses. I am not sure if that is the case in NC with the Piedmont but it would not surprise me. Amtraks delays are nine times of out ten because of freight trains. The highspeed rail corridor as I understand it would be independent of Freight Traffic as is most of the NE Corridor between Boston and DC which would cut down on delays. It would also be grade separated to reduce the possiblity of crashes with vehicles. It will probably take decades to build and billions of dollars to finance..most of us will be retired by the time its built.. though it is sorely needed.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Amtrak's delays are caused by freight traffic, but it would be the same way if trucking companies owned the Interstates. The average 'hot' (high-priority) Intermodal train probably has a net value of $350,000. An Amtrak passenger train would be no where near that amount. It is basic economics. Not to mention the fact that most freight carriers can't be bothered to allow passenger trains over their rails due to legal reasons.

As freight traffic increases, passenger trains will constantly be pushed down on the Priority totem-pole, at the moment they aren't even superior to Local Freight Service (the lowest of the low priority in freight). This is why Amtrak needs its own tracks, plus they could build them for speed, in the 70's railroads in the Carolinas were gearing their passenger trains for 129mph. After the passenger control was Socialized (given to the government) there was no more incentive to keep the trains on time. In 1979, Amtrak cut its route map in half, even some of the more productive routes were canceled.

To answer the original poster's question - No. South Carolinians would most likely not use Commuter rail, unless you provided them with 'front door' service so to speak. People tend to commute based on convenience.

If I had the money, I'd revive the Auto-Train service in SC. Basically, you put your car on the same train you ride, when you get to Charleston (or any other place) you unload your car and use it instead of renting one. Cut your travel time in half, and save gas in the process . It would take under an hour from Columbia to Charleston, and less than 2 hours from Greenville to Charleston.

Last edited by Frankie117; 06-18-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,349 times
I think this would be a wonderful idea and instead of sending Charlottes light rail or soon be subway to Rock Hill why not develop a high speed commuter to from Charlotte to points southward?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
It may make sense for SC residents.. though apparently none of the politicians are pushing for it. The most recent regional rail plans show Columbia aligning with Raleigh and Charlotte more so with Greenville, Spartanburg and Atlanta. Other than local rail service from Charlotte into Rock Hill.. it may not get any further south than that.

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

A study by SCDOT found that they would almost have to build a whole new RR and aquire new Right of Way to build highspeed rail from Charlotte to Columbia. The current track's max speed is like 45 to 55mph given the curves and numerous crossings that would have to be eliminated. But I guess since most of the big cities in SC Greenville, Spartanburg, and Columbia will get some service through some of the optoins proposed under the SE Highspeed Corridors.. there may be no political will to connect Columbia to Charlotte specifically. There had been talk about connnecting Greenville, Columbia and Charleston as part of an SCDOT effort.. but I am not sure if it has any momentum. I am surprised that Charleston has not screamed over being left out of the highspeed rail network. Apprently they would still have Amtrak Service though it won't be of the highspeed nature.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I'm not quite sure SC high-speed rail would work well. Unless of course there was a Greenville-Columbia-Charleston route, taking people right to the beach. From Columbia via Norfolk Southern to downtown Charleston or build an extension out to Isle of Palms or something like that. If you could get the speed limits on the corridor up to 79mph like they were made for then you have a feasible route for vacationers.

Amtrak is crappy service, and their hours are inconvenient. If this corridor is to work, it would need to be locally and state sponsored.
I would definitely ride the rail if there were one running to IOP or any beach near Charleston, as long as it got there in under 3 hours and ran frequent enough. Even if it cost $30-$40 it would be worth it to not pay the gas and wear & tear on car.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times
I'm gonna have to cast my vote as a wouldn't ride. Gas would have to be a lot more expensive and the roads much more congested to give up the personal freedom of commuting by car.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You guys
This is why I would not want a commuter rail. North Carolina has a train and we can see how diluted their culture has gotten. But hey, if materials are all everyone wants then I feel sorry for them.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
This is why I would not want a commuter rail. North Carolina has a train and we can see how diluted their culture has gotten. But hey, if materials are all everyone wants then I feel sorry for them.
What does commuter rail have to do with diluting culture?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina