Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Even though this map is 3 years old, it can give you an idea on what the state is thinking about concerning commuter rail (shown in red):

Source: Rail line wouldn't be cheap | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
Would love to see even half of this happen. But, I am not sure SC has the votes to get transit dollars passed until gas hits at least $5/$6 per gallon. In all SC cities, transit agencies are struggling for financing. Columbia needs a permanent funding source (almost happened) and Greenville's system is almost non existent (10-20 buses for a county of 450k). Greenville's system also need a permanent funding source. From what I read, the prevailing thought is either that gas will not hit $5/6 for 15 years or we can build a ton of hybrids, which are currently just a spec in the annual sales figures of automobiles.

The Charlotte - Columbia - Charleston line would be well used, especially when HSR connects Charlotte to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The Charlotte - Columbia - Charleston line would be well used, especially when HSR connects Charlotte to DC.
Which of those commuter rail lines could you see be well used?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
A train connecting the main cities of Charlotte - Greenville - Columbia - Charleston - Atlanta would be great.

Problem in SC is that it has always been one of the states that is the slowest to change. Most people do not see the value in having this type of service. The other issue is that many in SC are opposed to paying higher taxes for things even when those things would be an improvement.....and any transportation plan will need the support of residents.

A couple of weeks ago there was a discussion in the Greenville forum about a plan to expand the bus service to include the suburbs (Simpsonville & Mauldin) that surround Greenville. There were some who were opposed to that and all that was being discussed was expansion of a local bus route!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Which of those commuter rail lines could you see be well used?
Of the commuter lines shown and an odd chance that this would ever happen in the somewhat near future while setups remain the same, I think the Greenville-Spartanburg route would stand the best chance of being well-used, as there is already significant population on both ends, plus significant employers located between the two.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Of the commuter lines shown and an odd chance that this would ever happen in the somewhat near future while setups remain the same, I think the Greenville-Spartanburg route would stand the best chance of being well-used, as there is already significant population on both ends, plus significant employers located between the two.
I am not too sure about that Myrtle Beach line though. Maybe for seasonal use. You probably know the area better than I do.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I am not too sure about that Myrtle Beach line though. Maybe for seasonal use. You probably know the area better than I do.
Out of the commuter lines, I think Charleston has the best chance for success, although small. Because of the geography, Charleston has a dense business district with the primary route of I26 into the city. Because of this, I think this option has a better chance but, it still would have little chance for success in getting built unless oil prices go up significantly.

For inter city rail, I like the Charlotte - Columbia - Charleston route.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
For inter city rail, I like the Charlotte - Columbia - Charleston route.
Is that for the sole purpose of vacationers reaching Charleston?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Is that for the sole purpose of vacationers reaching Charleston?
That would be an added benefit. And, that has to be part of the equation. Charleston gets millions of visitors each year. Connecting Charlotte with a metro in excess of 2m/CSA of 2.6, RDU with a total CSA of 1.7m and Greensboro with over 1.3m residents, you have a built in market of 5.5m residents who have easy access to a top vacation destination (connecting through Charlotte's Gateway Station). Charleston should also experience a good deal of growth over the next decade. So, connecting the new businesses to a national financial center is not unreasonable. Combined with the access to the midlands, this route would provide another transportation alternative to an easy 1.5m SC residents depending on how you draw the market areas, easily 1/3 of the state could be served by this line. Another side bonus is for the larger number of Charlotte residents attending school at USC but, that is another story.

Do I believe this will happen....not under the current circumstances. HSR is coming to NC but, I doubt the politicians in SC have any desire for HSR.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
in my opinion, South Carolina's cities need better mass transit systems before the state starts spending money connecting them together with passenger rail.

for the most part, SC's cities aren't even making baby steps towards that goal... so i don't see this happening.

Last edited by le roi; 08-01-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

130 posts, read 266,573 times
Default No!

Spent many years involved with transportation in SC. SCDOT will not really support it and the Republican/Tea Party state legislature sure as heck won't.
It would cost BILLIONS just to build a 10 mile line around any of the major cities.
And then, nobody would use it.
BTW, I am a member of NARP and believe in passenger trains and commuter rail, but people in SC are tied to automobiles. Sad, but true.
The interstate between Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia and Charleston eliminates the need for high speed, much less commuter rail. There used to be passenger trains between Spartanburg, Columbia and Charleston, but the automobile, planes and interstates killed them.
Wouldn't high speed rail be counterproductive to all the efforts to get SouthWest airlines in Charleston and Greenville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina