Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Jobs would be the number one reason. Charleston and Greenville have experienced more successful recoveries from the Great Recession, particularly in the manufacturing sector and both metro areas have a mutually beneficial economic relationship due to manufacturing in the Upstate and Charleston's port. Greenville has also done pretty good landing some back office operations and call centers and of course, you've got healthcare in Charleston as well as the addition of smaller tech and pharmaceutical firms.

It will be interesting to see how this current pandemic shakes things up. An analysis from the Brookings Institute shows Columbia as the SC metro least affected by the current economic downturn, at least when it comes to sectors that are initially impacted.
Thats because its more government offices than anything and they arent getting laid off like these people at bars ect..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 07:50 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Thats because its more government offices than anything and they arent getting laid off like these people at bars ect..
Not exactly; to be more specific, it's because a smaller share of Columbia's workforce comprises the five industries deemed high risk by the study, namely mining/oil and gas, transportation, employment services, travel arrangements, and leisure and hospitality. As we continue to slip into recession, other industries will surely become affected as well, including government.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:39 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
I'm a bit surprised Newberry has lost population (-3). I understand it's not going to be growing like any other up and coming county in Columbias MSA like, say, Kershaw county; but I excepted to see an increase of several hundred in growth at least.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm a bit surprised Newberry has lost population (-3). I understand it's not going to be growing like any other up and coming county in Columbias MSA like, say, Kershaw county; but I excepted to see an increase of several hundred in growth at least.
More people probably leaving to Lexington, Richland, and the Upstate, etc than coming into Newberry. Newberry's birthrate is also probably low.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
More people probably leaving to Lexington, Richland, and the Upstate, etc than coming into Newberry. Newberry's birthrate is also probably low.
Anecdotally, this seems to all be true. I do know a lot of lakefront property developing in Newberry as well. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Newberry is just out of reach it seems of having large neighborhoods built for Columbias metro sprawl.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 AM

Also, I feel like I ask this every year because I forget... But the reorganizing of counties in MSA's will happen in time for next years count, correct? So by this time next year we'll be discussing possible new counties entering or leaving South Carolina MSA's...

If I were to make a solid bet, Georgetown gets lumped into Myrtle Beaches MSA. It'd be cool if Brunswick county in NC remained.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Also, I feel like I ask this every year because I forget... But the reorganizing of counties in MSA's will happen in time for next years count, correct? So by this time next year we'll be discussing possible new counties entering or leaving South Carolina MSA's...

If I were to make a solid bet, Georgetown gets lumped into Myrtle Beaches MSA. It'd be cool if Brunswick county in NC remained.
And a recombination of Greenville and Spartanburg. Greenville has sprawled into neighboring counties.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:45 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
And a recombination of Greenville and Spartanburg. Greenville has sprawled into neighboring counties.
And Newberry and probably Sumter joining Columbia. They were both right on the cusp of the new guidelines last time. Which if Sumter and Newberry did join it wouldn’t be just the Columbia MSA anymore. It’d be the Columbia-Sumter-Newberry Metropolitan area because Sumter is already it’s own MSA and Newberry is a MiSA.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:

Actually that happens with more frequency in between official Census years now. The last time new delineations were released was September 2018.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
While, I agree that Greenville's growth has substantially spilled over into Spartanburg County, I actually like the designations being kept separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina