Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 125,512 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Greenville and was looking at the feasibility of building a summer vacation home on a lake. My knowledge of lake Greenwood is limited, but Keowee seems to be pretty populated so I think I would get more for my money at Lake Greenwood. My ideal plan would be to purchase a lot and build a dock on it and in the coming years hopefully build a lake home on the lot. However, I don't know if this is feasible or even allowed.

I was looking at lots on the east side of the lake and was wondering if anyone had any information regarding this lake and that area? Any reasons you would not do what I am planning to do? Are there better options out there that I am overlooking? Are there variables that I am overlooking?

Any information or opinions you could provide are greatly appreciated. It's hard to find good information regarding lake homes it seems. At least relatively to other real estate. Thanks ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,447 times
I live in the area and can recommend an honest, no-pressure broker who can take you around the lake and give you an overview of the best areas based upon restrictions. She won't push you towards a higher end spend or neighborhoods she represents in order to maximize commission. I've learned over the years how to evaluate and use realtors to shorten my information curve while not being manipulated. Hope this helps. Check out Bea Walker with ReMax in Greenwood, SC. Depending upon your budget and how "rural" a feeling you are looking for, you may want to expand your search all the way down into Newberry county. The lake is quite shallow and runs muddy, at least in certain areas, with rain run off. I'm a fan of Lake Murray but that's where my grandparents kept their lake home. It's nice and deep, the fishing was great but because it was so popular, it may be overcrowded at this point. Lake Keowee is amazingly beautiful. The nuclear reactor makes me kind of nervous and it is an expensive area but I've considered property up that way. Good luck in your hunt!

Old 05-08-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I live in the area and can recommend an honest, no-pressure broker who can take you around the lake and give you an overview of the best areas based upon restrictions. She won't push you towards a higher end spend or neighborhoods she represents in order to maximize commission. I've learned over the years how to evaluate and use realtors to shorten my information curve while not being manipulated. Hope this helps. Check out Bea Walker with ReMax in Greenwood, SC. Depending upon your budget and how "rural" a feeling you are looking for, you may want to expand your search all the way down into Newberry county. The lake is quite shallow and runs muddy, at least in certain areas, with rain run off. I'm a fan of Lake Murray but that's where my grandparents kept their lake home. It's nice and deep, the fishing was great but because it was so popular, it may be overcrowded at this point. Lake Keowee is amazingly beautiful. The nuclear reactor makes me kind of nervous and it is an expensive area but I've considered property up that way. Good luck in your hunt!
Thanks for the information. You share the same concerns I have about the other lakes, but I did not consider greenwood's shallowness. I keep going back and forth about lake Keowee due to that power plant as well. Back to the drawing board haha.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,081 times
For for a number of reasons, lake Greenwood is the least desirable lake in the upstate.Hartwell is even superior.A close friend has a lake house on Hartwell in Clemson, way nicer and closer and not in the boonies.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:57 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
I too would be looking toward Clemson area. Problem with the mountain lakes is the varying water depths. I don't know if floating docks and boathouses are required, but they're really not preferred.

Too bad that Lake Burton over in NE Georgia is so expensive. A 100 foot lot might set you back $450K. And there are homes there that run 15,000-20,000 square feet. And it's a bunch of them that large. I've never seen so much wealth in one place in the South. What do their main homes look like in Buckhead? It's a lovely place and not too far from Greenville.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:07 PM

Respectfully disagree about mt lakes, they are plenty deep. Don’t look at lakes where you are competing with Atlanta money like Burton or Rabun. As a sailor I know all about the issues of skinny water.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:27 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,435 times
Wateree is my lake of choice. Reasonable home/land value. Not crowded. Plenty deep. Plenty of shoreline.

Been going there for 30+ years.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
For for a number of reasons, lake Greenwood is the least desirable lake in the upstate.Hartwell is even superior.A close friend has a lake house on Hartwell in Clemson, way nicer and closer and not in the boonies.
What are some of those reasons? I heard Hartwell's water level changes a lot which makes it less desirable, is that not true?

Old 05-12-2020, 03:18 PM

It depends. Water quality is more important than level, at least to me and it is plenty big,and being closer counts for a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina