Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM

11 posts, read 44,910 times

Advertisements

[quote=Summering;3593700]Any alligator we have seen, were in the state parks or the areas they were expected to be. So far none has come upon our little dog.....and we stay with a water area behind us. Plus there is a small lake in the community. Only ducks and turtles are in it.

Trust me on this. I know many people who have lost their dogs to gators. It depends on where you want to live. If you live around the ocean, you probably won't see as many alligators. If you live out away from the towns, they are everywhere. I know. I see them. My husband sees them everyday. An out-of-town family lost their black lab to an alligator while visiting near Georgetown during Christmas vacation. The children were devastated as they watch helplessly in disbelief. Just want you to know that you cannot assume they are not around because you have not seen them. http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/272684.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:02 PM

245 posts, read 758,939 times
As far as meth goes...it is everywhere.Big Cities to rural towns.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 PM

106 posts, read 511,860 times
I love the weather year round and that's what keeps me here. I don't like the overwhelming amount of hispanics all over the place (not used to that where i'm from). The people here are not any nicer than those up north which was a shock. I don't like paying a state AND county sales tax...I think that's ridiculous. I don't like having to renew my tags every year and paying a personal property tax.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 PM

106 posts, read 511,860 times
[quote=locallady;3689084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Any alligator we have seen, were in the state parks or the areas they were expected to be. So far none has come upon our little dog.....and we stay with a water area behind us. Plus there is a small lake in the community. Only ducks and turtles are in it.

Trust me on this. I know many people who have lost their dogs to gators. It depends on where you want to live. If you live around the ocean, you probably won't see as many alligators. If you live out away from the towns, they are everywhere. I know. I see them. My husband sees them everyday. An out-of-town family lost their black lab to an alligator while visiting near Georgetown during Christmas vacation. The children were devastated as they watch helplessly in disbelief. Just want you to know that you cannot assume they are not around because you have not seen them. http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/272684.html
There are tons of alligators on the Naval Weapons Station and one ate a dog last month down at Marrington Plantation. If you leave them alone they won't bother you.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 23,117 times
Default South Carolina Really is a great place to live

What do you love about the lowcountry? Is it the weather? The people?

After traveling to only a few parts of the United States, I have always wanted to come back home after only a few days because SC really is the best of both worlds. The weather here is great, however in the summer time the humidity is kind of bad. We very seldomly have snow, it rain's often in the summer, but overall it is great. Have you ever heard the term "Southern Hospitality, well that sums it up. Most everyone is really friendly and would offer to lend a helping hand in most cases.

What do you hate about it? Are there a lot of mosquitos (or tourists) in the summer or something else that makes you wish you had moved elsewhere?

Mosquitos, lol. Yeah, we have them however once you are hear it something that you get use to. If you live near the river or in a swampie area they are bad, but if you live in town they really are not that bad. I have not been bitten by a mosquito this year. LOL.

This is a very broad, open question. Anything you feel like mentioning would be appreciated. I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for what it's like down there. Internet research isn't exactly limitless.

South Carolina really is a great place to move, I live in Walterboro, SC which is located close to most everything. Charleston is about 45 minutes away, Columbia is about and hour, Myrtle Beach is about 2 hours.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-27-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: solicitation

Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
It is a nice place to live. We have lived here 4 years now from the St. Louis area. The only thing I really dont like is the SAND GNATS! They will eat you alive in the spring. Other than that I can handle the heat and all theat stuff.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM

543 posts, read 2,357,791 times
Growing up in SC all my life, I have experienced many different areas of SC. There is something so unique about the lowcountry. It's the laid back atmosphere, the beautiful sunsets, the creek, the tide, the salty air, the shrimping and fishing boats pulling in, the people walking along picking up shells, and the taste of fresh seafood as it has just been caught and cooked that very same day.

There are a thousand reasons to love the lowcountry. I cannot think of one reason not to love it.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM

549 posts, read 1,734,265 times
Love: coast, history, cusine.
Hate: tourists, yankee transplants, hurricanes.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 PM

543 posts, read 2,357,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Love: coast, history, cusine.
Hate: tourists, yankee transplants, hurricanes.
gotta love the brutal honesty!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,734,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
gotta love the brutal honesty!
Ask a question. Get an answer. I pull no punches and expect the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina