Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM

82 posts, read 315,601 times

Advertisements

I've tried to go back and read as many existing threads as I possibly could. I've never been to South Carolina and I've learned quite a bit from this forum. My husband and I are ready to start a family and are just "spinning the wheel" to see where we land. I can't help but mention that my favorite book is Prince of Tides so I am romantically drawn to the lowcountry. (Not the greatest reason to want to move somewhere, I know, but I am hopelessly spontaneous.) My question is geared mostly toward the locals or past residents:

What do you love about the lowcountry? Is it the weather? The people?

What do you hate about it? Are there a lot of mosquitos (or tourists) in the summer or something else that makes you wish you had moved elsewhere?

This is a very broad, open question. Anything you feel like mentioning would be appreciated. I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for what it's like down there. Internet research isn't exactly limitless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 45,097 times
Default Love the Low Country

Where to start?
I think most Southerners feel a very real attachement to the land and its surroundings. It's something that is hard to explain. Sitting on a screened porch in a warm afternoon breeze touches your soul. If you are one of the fortunate ones, that would include watching the boats go by, the tide come in and go out or simply the spanish moss waving in the live oaks. Most everyone who grows up in the South finds their way back home occassionally. They just have to come back for a "re-fill" once in awhile. I cannot think of a better place to settle down and raise a family. Bring your flip-flops. We wear them year round.
The weather is great. We usually have some freezing temps in January and February. Sometimes it even gets down into the twenties. Don't count on seeing another white Christmas unless you go back to Minnisota. I cannot really say that we have a typical December. The temps are up and down. On the other hand, June, July (especially July) and August are always unbearably hot. Outside activities often have to be limited to early morning and late evening. The grass starts to turn brown quickly if not watered regularly. If you happen to be fortunate enough to live around water, the mosquitos are especially bad. Alligators are another real pest if you live around water in the low country. You cannot let a water loving dog roam free. I think the Beaufort area is my favorite. Many of those wonderful Southern movies were filmed in or around Beaufort......The Big Chill is another good one to watch... St. Helena's Island was the scene of the boat wreck in Forest Gumpp. The movie Steel Magnolias was much like our own daughter's wedding (minus all the drama)....as well as many of her friend's weddings.
The tourist problem is mostly in the Grand Strand (Cherry Grove to Georgetown) Charleston and Hilton Head areas. Hope this helps

Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank you, that was very helpful. I'd take unbearably hot over 30 below zero any day. I used to live in Central America so the heat is not a problem. Minnesota's 6-month winters? A whole different story.

I am slightly concerned about the alligators. I would like to have a dog in the family someday. But perhaps we will find a way to work around that. I suppose the kids swimming in anything other than a pool is a big no-no? So much for rope swings over the lake.

Mosquitos aren't my favorite thing in the world but I can live. What about snakes and ticks? Those are higher on my heeby-jeeby meter.

After looking through the MLS listings for several different states, my husband and I are very excited to try SC. Where would be the best place to rent an apartment while we shop for a house? Does Beauford have decent rentals?

Thanks again for all your input! The south sounds as alluring as it does in my favorite novels.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
As a longtime resident of SC and a frequent vacationer in the Lowcountry, here is a small offering from my perspective. There are many good things to say about the Lowcountry, all of which I am sure others will fill you in on, so I will share one of the major negatives I feel about the region. Geographically it is much too flat for my taste. There are certainly plenty of unique elements to be found, but in my personal opinion, the flat coastal plain runs out of natural appeal long before the foothills and mountains of the Carolinas.

In case I did not communicate it clearly, this is just an opinion.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
What I love..........as a winter resident of South Carolina.
I love being close to the ocean.......its a soothing place to reside.
I love the weather. I am not one for tons of snow, and teen temps. Below zero, I couldn't deal with at all. So, being where you can golf in the winter months with just a light jacket on, at most, is thrilling.
Being able to walk around in the outdoor locations like Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot landing in Jan and Feb. is fantastic. By Feb. the flower beds are in full bloom.......flowers in the winter months!
Yes, I do love the southern people........I hope they never change. So friendly, and enjoyable to talk with.
There is so much to do and see, and you will never be bored.
Any alligator we have seen, were in the state parks or the areas they were expected to be. So far none has come upon our little dog.....and we stay with a water area behind us. Plus there is a small lake in the community. Only ducks and turtles are in it.
I have not been to Buford, but Murrells Inlet has some nice homes too.
To live full time, I'd head to one of the towns with less tourist though........so Buford might be a good place to try.
You won't regret the weather change, the people are great, and like you I love summers. I'd just sit my chair right in th ocean and smile

Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Skyliner, I appreciate your honest opinion. I'm a Colorado mountain girl myself and have found it very difficult to adjust to the flatlands, so I would probably tend to share your sentiments. After living in so many states in such a small amount of time, however, I feel like I'm finally willing to compromise my mountains if I can just get some freakin' sunshine and a nice backyard for my kids!

Summering, thanks also for your wonderful descriptions. I hadn't heard of Murrells Inlet so now I have something new to take a peek at. But you say it has high tourist traffic? I don't really mind tourists as long as they aren't all the party-til-you-puke-in-the-streets types.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Also, is there a place in South Carolina that has the best of both worlds? (A little coast, a little foothills?) I heard something about Greenville being nice. I don't think I'll have the opportunity to check out many of the towns for myself, unfortunately.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 AM

91 posts, read 378,509 times
Default Lowcountry for the North-Country

The low country, which to me means a coastal environment with sea islands and tidal marshes,and with "creeks" winding through them. It extends from about Murrells Inlet (google it) all the way down the S.C.and Georgia coast (Golden Isles). It has an interesting history and a unique beauty.

Many of the tourists, who come for golf and weather don't know about it unless they take an Eco-tour of some sort. I am interested that you even heard about it, but you mention Pat Conroy (who lives near Beaufort) does write poetically about it. Don't know if you read "The Water is Wide". It is a true story, which became a movie, and it was about a sea island near Savannah, in the 50s. I think it was his first book. The low-country lifestyles, however, are disappearing, although many of the small ports have some shrimp boats.

We enjoy all of the outdoors, including the mountains, which are a few hours from the coast, but choose to live near the coast.
As I had my morning coffee, I watched egrets, ospreys and geese. It would not be unusual to see an Eagle or any number of marsh and sea creatures.

The low country would be easily accessible from a number of places. I would group them as Beaufort/ Hilton Head/ Savannah and Charleston/Summerville/Mt Pleasant and Georgetown/Waccamaw Neck areas.
If you want to be close to some very beautiful mountains as well see Greenville. There are some great photos on the Greenville board.

Since you like to read, see if Barnes and Noble has "South Carolina", a Fodor Guide by Henry Liefermann. I have read it several times.

There are some websites like:Discover South Carolina - Birding in South Carolina (http://discoversouthcarolina.com/outdoor-activities/birding.aspx - broken link)
Lowcountry Companion, a Nature-based Guide to Georgetown County on Elowcountry.com
South Carolina tourism official site - South Carolina vacations
d40 Picturetown (http://www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown/ - broken link)
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Southeast Region Red River NWR
and just google everything you can think of.

The bugs and gators are not an issue. Hilton Head is very popular and it has a lot of both. Mosquitoes are worse in the north. The marshes are salty and tidal. Its the fresh waters that get buggy.

The other thing is that we often are able to dine outdoors on Thanksgiving and Christmas. And we watched porpoises from the beach yesterday. (On the other hand the snow mobiling and skiing is somewhat lacking.)

Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
Also, is there a place in South Carolina that has the best of both worlds? (A little coast, a little foothills?) I heard something about Greenville being nice. I don't think I'll have the opportunity to check out many of the towns for myself, unfortunately.
Greenville has no coastal flavor! It is a nice little town,mainly mass merchants, and chain stores.It has neither the wonderful flavor of the mountains nor that of the coast. But you are right about the coast of SC, it is an area that is inspiring in it's lush diversity. We are right now rejoicing because the time of our unfortunate incarnation in greenville is nearly over,at least that is what my wife calls our time in Greenville. we are in the process of moving to Mt Pleasant. We like that area,because it is a wonderful area to raise our family,be near the beach,and it is centrally located for exploring the coast. We have found the lowcountry citizens are warm,and genuinely welcoming,while the uplanders seem to be welcoming more on a surface level. they will say hello,but don't really want anything to do with you,where in the Lowcountry strangers in restaurants have given us their phone numbers and people in the neighborhoods have invited us in to their lives.
There are so many wonderful towns up and down the coast,one will be the corect haven for you to raise your family.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Question This is good information

Please, please, please do not be misled by southerngetlman's extremely prejudiced negativity toward the Upstate! He is among a very small group who think that way. Since this thread is dedicated to discussion about the Lowcountry, let's all honor the original questions and not let this thread slip into a region bashing fest like others have in the past because of posts like the one above.

Kayaklin, if you want to live on the coast, you are looking in the right place. If you would like to research information about vibrant and beautiful Greenville and the Upstate, we have a fairly active subforum with loads of good information from a diverse group of newcomers and longtime residents, along with a tiny bit of misleading information from a few members without a healthy or balanced outlook on life. You can usually quickly isolate the few who post bad information. I would recommend that if your options are open, Greenville is definitely worth closely checking out. It is a very nice place to live and raise a family. People are genuine, friendly and honest, unlike the bad info given above. For a small glimpse, click here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina