U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 13,390 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I'll check it out. I appreciate your good wishes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 05:05 AM

4,812 posts, read 6,807,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenwings View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. I appreciate your good wishes.
As I said, I don’t know much about Orangeburg/Bamberg specifically but I’ve lived in different states, cities, suburbs over the years. One thing to remember if people become negative about any city. ALL cities have “good” areas and ALL cities have “bad” areas to avoid. It’s a fact of life and always has been.

There are doctors, nurses, lawyers, business owners, teachers, police officers, firefighters, plumbers, electricians, etc everywhere and the good people out number the bad people everywhere.

It’s not easy to relocate after a lifetime (I did it) but having family close will make all the difference. Moving has been one of the best things we ever did. I hope it works for you.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:46 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,140,532 times
Doreenwings if what you are looking for is a mostly affordable, quiet, safe and welcoming place to spend a few years Orangeburg or Bamberg will do just fine. At either place getting around will not be a big hassle. Even with no public transportation there are taxis...both commercial and off the books type that are available 24/7 for rides.

While neither offers a great selection of retail you probably don’t need it and both towns are close to the Regional Medical Center so health care is covered.

Come on down and don’t look back. South Carolina is the friendliest state that you will ever know. You’ll kick yourself for not coming sooner.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 AM

Let’s be blunt — some posters are racists and will turn their noses up at both cities because of large black populations and historically black colleges and universities located there.

They’ll tiptoe around it but racism still exists . . . If it’s a problem for you, move on. If it’s not a problem, I’m confident you’ll meet some wonderful new friends and neighbors. As LexingtonDad above said, South Carolina is, by far, the friendliest place we’ve ever lived.

And I frequently am told “Have a Blessed Day.” . . . Usually from a black person.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:27 PM

5,340 posts, read 3,820,621 times
Well, I wouldn't live in Orangeburg for anything. Sure, there are good people everywhere, but crime in Orangeburg is off the charts.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 03-31-2021 at 01:04 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 05:19 PM

Crime is everywhere.

Columbia? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Spartanburg? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site (I can tell you I’m in a beautiful area, have never had a single problem and go downtown on a regular basis to entertainment). Do I go into dangerous areas late at night? Hell no.

Greenville? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Charleston?Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Does Orangeburg have a higher rate? Probably. But also related to the lack of job opportunities. More incentives to get manufacturing etc into that area might help a lot.

Let me know when/where you find utopia.

Last edited by Yac; 03-31-2021 at 01:05 AM..

Old 03-27-2021, 06:26 AM

Funny that you’ve chosen Orangeburg to defend. It’s a complete dump. They’ve tried to bring manufacturers there. All have had a hard time finding employees.

Also, you must not have read my link. Orangeburg is at the worst rate of violent crime on a per capita national average.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Funny that you’ve chosen Orangeburg to defend. It’s a complete dump. They’ve tried to bring manufacturers there. All have had a hard time finding employees.

Also, you must not have read my link. Orangeburg is at the worst rate of violent crime on a per capita national average.
I’ve said before—I don’t know Orangeburg specifically but crime is an issue EVERYWHERE. The OP has made it clear, they desire to be closer to family in Bamberg. There HAS to be areas of Orangeburg that will fit their needs.

I’m not sure why you’ve decided to denigrate Orangeburg. Are we to just throw up our hands, ignore it and give up?

Old 03-27-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I’ve said before—I don’t know Orangeburg specifically but crime is an issue EVERYWHERE. The OP has made it clear, they desire to be closer to family in Bamberg. There HAS to be areas of Orangeburg that will fit their needs.

I’m not sure why you’ve decided to denigrate Orangeburg. Are we to just throw up our hands, ignore it and give up?
Pure silliness. Have you even ever set foot in Orangeburg? Go try it.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:58 AM

Violent crime rate for the following cities:

Charleston 3.79
Greenville 5.79
Columbia 7.91
Spartanburg 12.03
Orangeburg 14.62

I've lived in Spartanburg. Primarily in Converse Heights. But there are incredibly dangerous areas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina