Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 02:52 AM

346 posts, read 302,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
I never understood this platitude about southerners not being on the go. Life down south just as fast paced as anywhere else, just a little less traffic than the north.

THIS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 12:11 PM

50,012 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Friends moved to Florence, which is about an hour west of Myrtle Beach. You couldn’t pay me to live there. There are a few decent restaurants, but that’s about it. They have not been happy with the medical care so far.

SC, NC and GA share the same geography, which is miles of tan colored nothing, with a few palmettos thrown in.

Any of these states have nice areas, but you need to stay near the bigger cities, or you’ll find it boring.

There is a town that came to mind with your criteria, although it’s not near the ocean and it’s in NC. Check out Southern Pines, NC. It’s is a charming little town.

If you insist on SC, try Bluffton/Beaufort/Hilton Head areas. They are vibrant, near the ocean and just across the Savannah River from Savannah, which always has something going on. Otherwise, stick close to Charleston.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:15 PM

8,696 posts, read 4,938,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Eagle View Post
Cultural events do not exist in the way you are used to being from the north. You will struggle with the culture in SC. SC has what they consider culture, but stuggle to include "Yankees" (ecspecially a Charming town due to small size town mentallity). Our neighbors are from NH and CNY. They are both moving back as soon as they find employement. They have been here 6 and 7 1/2 years. They feel that the south is not all it is hyped to be. We personally have met good people and not so good, but often get the cold treatment from the locals if they discover you are a norhterner.
MEDICAL--Be careful with this. I can give you many examples of very poor health care here. We are exposed to the health care industry with many of our business clients and they have shared it is only a profit business here and has lost the care for the patient approach.
I will say however that you will like the weather if you hate snow and like bugs.
Good luck.
We came to SC from MA. We had more bugs in MA. We have very good health care here in SC. People are very friendly. The food though is better up north.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,388,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
We came to SC from MA. We had more bugs in MA. We have very good health care here in SC. People are very friendly. The food though is better up north.
Northern v Southern food: I do miss Chesapeake Bay style crab cakes but I’ll take the low country boils, oyster roasts, bbq, shrimp & grits, collard greens (yes, I’m new them and really like them), cornbread, banana pudding and on and on.

Other than preferred style of pizza, what northern foods do you miss?

Old 05-19-2021, 10:38 AM

396 posts, read 412,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Northern v Southern food: I do miss Chesapeake Bay style crab cakes but I’ll take the low country boils, oyster roasts, bbq, shrimp & grits, collard greens (yes, I’m new them and really like them), cornbread, banana pudding and on and on.

I find it hilarious when northerners complain about the food here, seeing how there's no native food culture up north. It's all foreign derived (Italian, Chinese, etc.) unlike the homegrown food cultures in Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, etc. where local people (including slaves) created the dishes.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:49 AM

8,696 posts, read 4,938,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

I miss lobsters and steamers! Restaurants are better up north too!

Old 05-19-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You're hilarious.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:11 PM

50,012 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
I find it hilarious when northerners complain about the food here, seeing how there's no native food culture up north. It's all foreign derived (Italian, Chinese, etc.) unlike the homegrown food cultures in Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, etc. where local people (including slaves) created the dishes.
You proved his point. Up north there is an ethnic salad with a lot of variety. Down south its all shrimp, grits, collards, fried chicken, bbq, and mac n cheese.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You proved his point.
I don't believe so. The dishes here are uniquely Southern; found nowhere else on Earth. You can go anywhere for Italian.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:06 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,388,938 times
Quote:
I like lobsters but . . . I grew up in an area where being a snob about EVERYTHING was a birthright . . . Right there on the birth certificate. I’m very happy with the choices here — people, food, wine, beer, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina