Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:09 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Rural prosperity is not much of a thing in SC. We left our rural areas behind. The closest things to me would be sea island communities like Pawleys, Fripp, Daufuskie, Edisto, etc. Kiawah is too built up in my opinion. Secluded =/= rural, and Hilton Head is not rural in the slightest. It's heavily suburban and is its own functioning city with a commercial airport, a mall, nightlife, a tolled highway, and 40,000 people.

Not all of SC's rural areas are the same: the rural towns around I85 seem to have held up better than the ones along I95. Some towns are dying more and more every year, while some are just going on about their business, but none are really Mayberry esque wealthy enclaves like you'd see in a place like Connecticut or New Hampshire, though there's some quaint, well preserved towns, just not uber wealthy.

Camden and Chapin are a couple rural town though that could be somewhat like youve asked, though Chapin is slowly growing more exurban.
Thanks for the answer. Overall, are the wealthiest communities in SC regardless of rural/urban on the coast like Kiawah and Hilton Head? The more second home/vacation house/retirement destination type places?

Charleston's South of Broad seems like a forerunner for affluent coastal locales too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:25 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
If there is anything that needs data, there is someone collecting that data. This is based on a simple search for median income in SC by zip code.

Not speaking for the data set itself, I didn't collect it: https://www.zipdatamaps.com/economic...south-carolina

Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 PM

192 posts, read 207,075 times
Pendleton for sure. However, it is starting to have some growth and will be the town where the growth of Anderson north and clemson south will meet.

It is not overly wealthy but it seems to have a good deal of it.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Thanks for the answer. Overall, are the wealthiest communities in SC regardless of rural/urban on the coast like Kiawah and Hilton Head? The more second home/vacation house/retirement destination type places?

Charleston's South of Broad seems like a forerunner for affluent coastal locales too.
Yeah the wealthiest parts of SC are along the coast on the sea islands, and peninsular Charleston, which is pretty sure the most expensive place in the state. Homes there easily go over $1 million. Forest Acres in Columbia is also regarded as pretty wealthy, as well as intown Greenville and the Five Forks community, and Mount Pleasant and York County near Charlotte. But in general, it is the islands and Charleston and Beaufort County along the coast and waterways.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
#14, Columbia surprises me. I am also surprised Lexington is not among the top 25.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
One list a bit different:

https://namecensus.com/money/wealth/..._CAROLINA.html

Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
The original poster asked for upscale “rural”, not places like Mount Pleasant or coastal resort towns!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
There's nothing rural about Mt Pleasant. It's a functioning city of 92,000 people. Awendaw above it is actual rural.

Aiken isn't rural either. Maybe back in the day, not in 2020.
Ah, good point. I was focused more on the "wealthy" part of the question rather than the "rural."

Old 09-25-2020, 08:20 AM

738 posts, read 416,185 times
Greenwood has some nice neighborhoods out around the lake , and golf or tennis/swim communities away from the lake.

There are a lot of nice houses and neighborhoods around highway 81 in Anderson and Powdersville.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:10 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
FWIW- when a lot of the wealth was found in rural areas it was in no way a robust upper class. Their was very much a top tear of planter society and everyone else fell behind (if they were even functionally or even literally free.) You would have fabulously wealthy people living in poor areas. I still see a lot of that in smaller towns where successful business or land owners do very, very well while the area as a whole is depressed. Sometimes it is in the form of rich families that maintain farms/hunting land-cabins as their 2nd/3rd homes.

Last edited by mrpeatie; 09-25-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina