Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times

Advertisements

Hoping my City-Data members in South Carolina can enlighten me some here about this recent news of a plan to widen Highway 9 from two to four lanes from Interstate 95 to the Grand Strand (actually more like widen the part from I-95 to where the two lanes go to four a few miles before crossing 701 heading to Loris). Apparently on Feb. 25, S.C. State Rep. William Bailey told Governor Henry McMaster that he is in discussions with members of the General Assembly about a plan for the widening. My question is, why?

First, the article states that "The number one tourism provider for the Grand Strand is the state of North Carolina. Other key provider states include NY, NJ, PA, and OH. The quickest exit for all northern visitors would be the Highway 9 exit at Dillon, S.C." Not true, and I know this as a North Carolina resident (Raleigh-Durham specifically) who frequently goes to North Myrtle Beach from I-95 but uses the I-74 interchange at Exit 14 in North Carolina for 26 miles, then get off onto Highway 410 at Chadbourn for 15 miles and finally Highway 701 at Tabor City for nearly 6 miles before getting onto Highway 9 just north of Loris. Going down I-95 to catch 9 in Dillon would not only be lengthier but also take longer due to having to slow down going through Dillon, Lake View and Nichols. Which brings up another issue ...

Nowhere in this article does it say whether the proposed 9 widening would involve the current route going through Dillon, Lake View and Nichols. If that's the case, it's going to cause some construction residents of these communities. But if it bypasses them, it's hard to see how much economic benefits they could reap from such a rerouting if people are in a hurry to and from the beach.

And finally, has anyone seen an updated traffic count to justify this widening? Is 9 from Dillon to Loris in heavy use by traffic up north, as claimed? Or is it mainly just local traffic, as I'm inclined to believe, in which case it's not really much traffic at all.

To me, S.C. legislators would be wiser in widening the 4 miles or so of 401 between the state line and Highway 9 bypass. Besides being much less expensive, it could possibly serve as an alternative to the apparently unlikely current routing planned for I-73 on or near Highway 38. I-73 already runs in conjunction with I-74 for a part in North Carolina. It could easily be extended and rerouted to be near or replace highways 410 and 701 in Chadbourn and Tabor City in North Carolina and connect to this widened part in South Carolina, assuming that the widened road is built to interstate standards, of course. That way, South Carolina could boast of having an interstate highway only a half hour drive from the Grand Strand. Heck, you could even upgrade part of 9 that's four lanes on the way to the beach to interstate standards and extend that new I-73 to end closer to the beach. Makes much more sense to me than what's being planned here now.

Anyway, that's my thoughts about this. Take a look at the story in the link and please let me know your opinion as well as any information I may have wrong or have overlooked.

https://myrtlebeachsc.com/sc-legisla...-lane-to-i-95/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Two reasons why South Carolina Highway 9 needs to be widened to four lanes from Green Sea in Horry County to Interstate 95 in Dillon County would be continuing growth in Horry, Dillon, and Marion counties and better evacuation routes with Atlantic storms moving north along the Atlantic coast. Plan on bypasses around Nichols, Lake View, and Dillon. The farthest I could see South Carolina Highway 9 being widened is to Bennettsville.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
While I would love for South Carolina to build out I-73 like planned, reading the article it does bring up a good point about cost.

Do you spend $2.4 to $5 Billion on I-73, or a faction of that on upgrading SC-9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina