Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 AM

53 posts, read 68,567 times

Advertisements

[Note - thread moved from Charleston Area Forum to General SC Forum as suggested (https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...houghts.html)]

Hello all, my wife and I are at that "let's get out of upstate NY and into a nicer climate for the retirement" stage and we're considering both SC and Florida. As an accountant, I'm totally into the gathering of way, WAY too much numerical data (taxes, cost of living, etc.) but ran across this site and wondered if I could gather more first hand thoughts. As a little background, we're an upper middle class, relatively active couple, enjoy some culture but enjoy biking, hiking, a day at the beach or an afternoon in front of a barbeque with friends as well. Real estate goal would be a single family or large condo (aiming at maybe 2k sf or so) with a small yard. Suburbs but somewhat close to a large town or city. 30 - 60 minutes to the coast would be preferable. Been looking at 55+ communities for the included maintenance but I also realize that that comes with a cost. Budget might be somewhere in the $300 - $350k range but that could shift up or down as I see what the potential is. Specifically I'm looking at the Bluffton, SC and Sarasota, FL areas to see what potential they might have. Hope that all helps but feel free to ask more if you think it might help.

Side note to the realtors that have pm'd me. I do appreciate the attention but I think I'm a little more interested in the larger picture at this point. If I do come to a conclusion that SC is the place for me, at that point I'll be opening up a little more targeted search for a new home and I will certainly consider your assistance. Again, your contact information is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 12:21 PM

And, out of curiosity, what is a typical cost of a round of golf at an average public course? Up here, we see costs anywhere between $40 and $70 for a nice public course (without any GolfNow coupons or similar). Private or top level public courses are obviously higher.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
From the criteria you've given, Tampa would check those boxes very well. Thing about these "vs" threads is its not easy to blanket places. Florida and South Carolina arent as similar as people think, and Florida can be a massive culture shock depending on where you go.

But from what you said, Tampa Bay, specially outer Tampa - Pasco County, western Polk County, Manatee County, and NW Hillsborough County - would be the best bet imo. You mentioned Sarasota, that could work as well, but I think Tampa would be a little better bet for your criteria. Tampa and Sarasota are an hour apart, but its a quick hour, still apart of the same region.

Sun City Center is a 55+ community in exurban Tampa, but I personally don't think you need a 55+ neighborhood to be happy. Seems like a waste and it just limits yourself, especially considering what you can get nearby.

You could look at St Johns County outside of Jacksonville as well. It's pretty Bluffton-esque, but more amenities, easier beach access, and you get the added bonus of St Augustine. Jacksonville has anything you may need in terms of restaurants, shops, services. And its a well priced area and not as hot as Tampa. Lower Duval County, which is Jax proper, has a lot of that newer, Bluffton-esque build as well.

And it also depends on what you consider a "large city." Tampa and Jacksonville are two of the largest cities in the southeast. Bluffton...is not. Savannah is nearby, but Savannah is not large - though its still a great day trip escape, and has a few things you cant get in Bluffton/HHI. Florida will also win in culture, imo, but it also depends on what your personal definition of culture is.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:57 AM

Appreciate the response and opinions, J. I have visited both areas but certainly not enough to say I know them well and, without a doubt, more visits are going to be necessary before any decision is made. I've spent more time in FL (Bradenton and St Augustine specifically) so I know those areas a bit but really only from a "vacationers" view and I think we can all appreciate the difference between spending a week somewhere and actually moving there.

Some good points you bring up. Again, much appreciated.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaserP View Post
Appreciate the response and opinions, J. I have visited both areas but certainly not enough to say I know them well and, without a doubt, more visits are going to be necessary before any decision is made. I've spent more time in FL (Bradenton and St Augustine specifically) so I know those areas a bit but really only from a "vacationers" view and I think we can all appreciate the difference between spending a week somewhere and actually moving there.

Some good points you bring up. Again, much appreciated.
I grew up in SC and live in FL now, so I feel like I can give some fair assessments from a locals POV. Just let me know what you need.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:17 AM

738 posts, read 416,533 times
I recommend Greenville and western SC if you like to hike and bike. There's more variety in SC for outdoors stuff than Florida.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:36 AM

Thanks, J. As I get deeper into my research, I just may take you up on that.

Good to know that as well, Huckleberry. We do quite a bit of both.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaserP View Post
Thanks, J. As I get deeper into my research, I just may take you up on that.

Good to know that as well, Huckleberry. We do quite a bit of both.
Avoid Greenville unless you want a 4 hour drive to the beach. The mountains and scenery are great, but you did specify Bluffton.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:28 PM

396 posts, read 417,411 times
Just leave that blue state stuff back at home and adopt/adapt to the local ways, wherever you go.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:52 PM

308 posts, read 469,486 times
Or form your own opinions because there sure are Red state ways you want to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina