U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:31 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,789,315 times

Advertisements

Hunting Island, is not a public access beach, its a secluded state park that costs $8/adult and $4/child to visit. Its not a "beach day" type of beach, it is meant to be explored and camped, not lounged on. Not even considering the beach is covered in branches and trees.

The beach is not close. Port Royal is an hour. Ridgeland is an hour. Nothing above 30 minutes will be found above Okatie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 09:03 PM

12,039 posts, read 17,069,777 times
Okatie appears to be the definition of cookie cutter IMO based on zooming in and scoping it on Street View. Hardeeville looks like an area more so than a town IMO. The Main Street doesn’t look like one. Maybe Beaufort somewhere around the southern periphery would be worth checking out.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:07 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,068,828 times
Look at the area between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. The geography south of Charleston with all the winding marshes means either you live right on the beach or an hour away. For example look at area around Georgetown. Just minutes away Pawleys Island, great beach. Affordable area. 45-60 min to Charleston.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:19 PM

OP, if you come back, the outer Okatie area is indeed worth checking out, along with the Hardeeville area, and Pritchardville - which is not an actual town, but you may be able to find some wide open land there.

That part of the SC coast is full of uninhabited marsh, wildlife preserves and barrier islands. Even though there is 55 miles of coast from Seabrook (Charleston) to GA, the only actual public beaches are on Hilton Head, Fripp, and Edisto Island, which doesn't fit your criteria. So really Hilton Head. That is a big reason why finding what you want within 30 minutes is difficult. The geography doesn't allow it.

Like I said, if you really want a rural experience, your drive to the beach will at least be 40 to hour+, and amenities will not be close and will not be generally great. If you can handle exurban and come in a little closer, you'll see a good improvement. You can still find land in Okatie and Bluffton. It is not all stacked suburbs. I've spend a good deal of time in that area, its a very nice area and actually pretty good for kids, but what you want will require some wiggle room.

Lobeco and Laurel Bay are worth looking at as well for the rural aspect. Not too far from Beaufort, but still an hour from the beach. And you could go north of Charleston and look at the outer parts of Horry County like Loris and Aynor.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 7,686 times
Thank you all very much. This provides good perspective on the area, and the commute time. I will research the various locations mentioned, and take another look at the towns initially dismissed.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:30 AM

5,340 posts, read 3,822,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawguy View Post
Thank you all very much. This provides good perspective on the area, and the commute time. I will research the various locations mentioned, and take another look at the towns initially dismissed.
You need to start with some simple parameters.

1. How much can you spend?
2. Do you want really good schools?
3. Will you be working remote?
4. By shore, do you mean beach?
5. Have you ever been to the area.

1. You can get an acre very near Bluffton ,Beaufort, or even HHI. But you will be very limited depending on budget. A house on HHI is currently contingent @$635K https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M62677-19319

2. The more rural you get in SC, the greater the chance the schools won't be good. Ridgeland was a specifically horrible sugestion based on the schools. https://www.greatschools.org/south-c...and/jasper-01/

3. Also, the more rural you get, the greater chance you won't have great internet access.

4. The beach will mostly mean HHI, but Hunting Island is one of SC's best kept secrets.

We have good friends from NYC who are currently looking in Bluffton. The market is tight in their price range, but they have found some possibilities.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Research Ridgeland. The school system public vs. private might need a close look. Don’t know. But it probably has bigger lots and is close to the shore and Beaufort-HH.
Why in the world would you recommend a place you don't know about?

The schools are crap. The drive is way too far.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 7,686 times
1. We're looking to stay between 500-600k. 3 bed, 2 bath. Sq footage isn't a huge concern, though preferably over 1500k.

2. We homeschool, so school systems are not a concern at the moment. Though the option for a good private school(s) as they get older or if situations change would be a bonus.

3. Yes, I work remote. My job requires good internet access.

4. The beach would be ideal.

5. We have never been, though we are looking to narrow down the areas to explore as we plan to head down later this year.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
1. We're looking to stay between 500-600k. 3 bed, 2 bath. Sq footage isn't a huge concern, though preferably over 1500k.

2. We homeschool, so school systems are not a concern at the moment. Though the option for a good private school(s) as they get older or if situations change would be a bonus.

5. We have never been, though we are looking to narrow down the areas to explore as we plan to head down later this year.
School is the biggest thing. The Bluffton area has very good schools, both public and private. Jasper County, does not, but if youre homeschooling them I guess it doesnt matter.

Like I said, the beaches will be found on Hilton Head. Many of them are private or require resident passes or pay parking though, but still good stretches of public. Coligny Beach is the main public beach. Free parking, buzzing atmosphere, and its a very good beach for families.

With that budget I'll stick with my initial suggestions: Hardeeville, Pritchardville, Okatie, Bluffton. In no particular order, though that is in order of how far to close you'll be to the beach. Be advised there's only one road on and off Hilton Head - US 278. Traffic can be no joke, especially during the tourist season. You wont be an hour from the beach, but wont be 10 minutes either.

I dont know much about CT rural, but image its not an apples comparison to SC rural. Like i said before, the rural choice will get you space, but you'll seriously lack amenities, and that includes good internet like M1 said. Get more into Bluffton and it gets better. I believe Spectrum Charter is the main ISP there, so def research them. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Awesome. Much easier.

One of the things you need to be careful about around these parts is finding that great place that has some really bad areas close by. We found a great lot on the Intercoastal north of Mount Pleasant that you had to drive by 5 meth houses.

If I were you, I'd schedule a trip as soon as possible.

I'm biased towards Beaufort as I like to visit the city. But it does limit your easy access to the beach to Hunting Island. A state park passport is only $99 annually. If you look in that area, take note that Fripp is, for all intents, private.

Bluffton is you other realistic choice. But it's growing like crazy. A lot of the big builders own a lot of the property. Search within this sub for "Bluffton". There are a significant number of transplants in that area. There is nothing wrong with Okatie, but you will primarily find the cookie cutter lots.

Are you at all interest in building? That way you find the lot you like and can build just what you need.

One final note, beaches are great and I love them. But you will probably fall in love with the marshy areas. Kayaking is incredible around there and especially in the ACE Basin.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina