Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 24,979 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum... I am a 21 y/o female looking to make my first move by myself... I currently live in FL and am looking at moving to Charleston or Charlotte. Charleston seemed good to me because it is on the water and i'm definitely used to that. I have family in the Carolinas and am just looking for change and to get out of here.. I do like it, but want something new. Any suggestions? I'm trying to do research but am a little lost. I'm actually going up to the Carolinas in a couple of weeks to check it out myself, I've been there before but not much. I figured that was the best research there is but I guess getting people's opinions is good too.

I guess my question is does anyone have any tips for me.. and/or opinions on which is better? Charlotte or Charleston?

Thanks for your time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 05:47 AM

291 posts, read 1,782,019 times
They are totally different. Night and day. Charlotte is larger, 3hours from the Atlantic beaches,and much more a typical modern city. Charleston has a charm that is hard to find. Charleston is much more expensive. You get a lot more house/apartment for the money in Charlotte. The winters are cooler in Charlotte being inland.The economies in both places are good but I would give the edge in more diverse jobs to Charlotte. Charleston has a tropical feel to it Charlotte doesn't have. Palmettos and the like. Both are nice places with good opportunities. It depends on personal taste.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 24,979 times
Thanks for your response, salatheel!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,988 times
I think you would love the Charlotte area. My Niece is 23 and moved there about a year ago from upstate New York and loves it. My family is moving to Fort Mill, a SC suburb of Charlotte in June. we chose Fort Mill for the schools but if that is not an issue you could find less expensive housing. I think any area around there would be great. There is an area called Ballentyne that I would have loved at your age ( Actually still do ). When we recently visited we met my nice at a great place for dinner there. Looks like it has great growth, jobs and both day and nightlife.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I consider Charleston more suitable for someone your age and location (tropical Florida). Charlotte gives off a more corporate, buttoned-up, family-friendly feel. That's not exactly a bad thing, but it's not exactly an exciting city in terms of what young people typically find exciting.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
Default SC or NC

Hi Sunshine,

I have lived and loved both Charleston and Charlotte but, I am partial to Charleston. Maybe an option is to consider Columbia. Charlotte and Charleston are an 1 1/2 hoour away. Consider what you are plans are for the future in regards to work, education etc. Columbia has a very large lake as does Charlotte which is a plus especially for me since I am a water nut. Columbia and surrounding school districts are amoung the best in the nation in a family is in the future. Anyway, good luck!!

Coulmbia Native
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina