Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2006, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 24,408 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!! I went to Simpsonville, SC for my first time visit. My goodness I wished I did not have to leave. I really wanted to quit my job and find a job in SC right then. However, I am not able to So I will wait and take my time and have my dream house built. So I am looking to purchase land and then have a builder build on it. Can anyone give me a reputable builder? And maybe give me some leads on where to purchase any land 1+ acres. Not in a subdivision Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 09:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,185,939 times
Tammie,

My family and I are looking at doing the same thing. We were in Virgina and the border of NC about four years ago, but did not make it to SC. I've been researching on where to go in SC. We will most likely build on some land somewhere there. With the prices of resale homes as low as they are there I can only believe that land and a custome built home will be even less!

I plan to make this my last move, so the way I see it is I should build the house I will live in till I go to God. How was the weather there when you were there? Let me know if you come across a good builder.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 05-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Oh My!!!!! The weather was NOTHING like NY. Right now in NY it is in the low 60's at the time I was in SC (April) it was in the mid to hi 60's. I am in the process of having a home built to resell. What size house are you looking for? I have a rather large family, so I am looking for atleast 5br. How many br are you looking for? How much are you looking to spend for a house. I have a couple of builders one that is VERY in expensive to a more upscale builder. I, personally am looking for someone in between. If I can help let me know.

Last edited by Tammie_215; 05-12-2006 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,185,939 times
Tammie,

I have a co-worker that was raised in NC and he said SC in the summer gets really really "hot, muggy, and stickey" don't know how true that is. I lived in Texas for almost 8 years and when you talk hot and humid that's it! I can't imagine SC worse in the summer? hope not.

I live in California and own property and in the proccess of selling. My step-daughter and family lives 20 minutes from me. I would moe there till the house is finished in SC. I'm looking at a 3 to 4 BR 2 bath. on acrage I think I would be willing to pay (including land) $150-200 thousand depending.

Thanks

Mark

Old 05-14-2006, 10:33 PM

32 posts, read 127,767 times
Tammy,

My family and I are looking to move from NJ to SC and came across Simpsonville, Mauldin area while searching homes on the net. It looks like a beautiful area and the schools look pretty good too. We are planning a visit in July to really check it out, do you have any suggestions of places we should see? I have two kids 8 & 12 and I want to make sure there is plenty of activities for the kids, and places to go see and visit if we do make the move. I live in South Jersey, not far from Philly so if you know my area at all, it's overcrowded to the point their is no more room to build, just another reason we want out of NJ besides the taxes. Anyway, Simpsonville appears to be a more open land area with pleanty of trees parks. I'd hope for some close convenience stores and shopping areas, but not over run with them like we are here. Can you give me a better picture of Simpsonville from your point of view? And just courios, is their a downside to the subdivisions down there or is it just your preference to have more land? Sorry so long...
Lisa

Old 05-15-2006, 07:56 PM

Default I hope this answers your question

Lisa,

I can tell you that when I went down there I was REALLY impressed by how nice it was. I am not sure how it is in Jersey, but in Long Island it is slow compared to NYC, and that is the way I like it. As far as anyplace to visit I went to the the Mall (not Greenville) it is nice, but nothing to go crazy about. If you are not a Mall person Woodruff Road is the way to go. Every kind of store is down that strip, and it is close to I385 and I85. If you take 385 south you will go right into downtown Greenville which is a mini Soho village in NYC. Absolutely wonderful!!! Now about the subdivisions, it really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend on a house. Alot of the subdivisions have small lots (.18+), however the house can be upto 3200 sq ft. Then there are subdivisions where the lots start at .75 and the house can be 2700+ sq ft. You really have to look around. If your not driving rent a car, and if you are driving be prepared to spend alot on gas. Do alot of driving around. There is almost no way to get lost. Everything runs in circles, you'll see. One subdivision that is really nice is Whitehall and they are on Woodruff Rd. Email me directly and I will give you the website info. Sorry THIS is so long, but I could go on about SC. AND to think I was only down there for 1 WEEK!!!!!!! I hope I was able to help you.

Tammie

Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,138 times
Hi: I lived in Seneca SC & Greenville SC for a total of 9 years. I know the area of Simpsonville, Greenville, etc. Housing is cheaper and that means a lot.

People are much more polite than up North, too.

The climate is extremely hot in summer compared to the Northeast but the weather is more consistent. The seasons are not extreme. Winters last about 6 weeks. I love that!

Once we moved to Greenville, SC I found a lot of implants from across the US.
That help me adjust faster.

It is worth networking with other people from the Northeast once you have moved to SC. You can help one another network for jobs, housing, everything.

We are back in CT now but are making plans to get back to SC when possible.

Marianne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina