Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,758 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband, myself, and our three children (ages 6, 5, and 9 weeks) are looking to relocate to South Carolina or North Carolina preferably before the next school year starts (mid-late) August. We are looking to rent once we make our decision while we wait for our house here to sell..

We are looking to live in an area that is family oriented and near a coastline, because we LOVE the beach. Of course, we are coming from a no/low crime area and would like to move to an area similar to where we live- which is in a South Suburb of Chicago. We are aspiring to move to a middle-class enviorment... where real estate is affordable. We look forward to receiving your suggestions!

Thanks

Last edited by ybuckner; 06-02-2008 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybuckner View Post
Hello all,

My husband, myself, and our three children (ages 6, 5, and 9 weeks) are looking to relocate to South Carolina or North Carolina preferably before the next school year starts (mid-late) August.
Thanks
Also, we are leaning towards, Charlotte, NC- so, any pointers here would be great.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I think a lot will depend on the line of work that you're in. Charleston is the only major city on the coast in either state; in the other areas, jobs would be mainly tourism-focused. If you move to Charlotte you will be about 3 hours from the closest beach.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM

O.K. Well, perhaps we can compromise on the beach, as long as there are at least some reservoirs we can fish in. Also, my husband is an expert graphic/web designer and has finished another year of teaching grade school children computers at a private school near our home. I have been reading quite a few positive things about Charlotte...we are preparing to visit in just a few weeks to look for housing and employment...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 20,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybuckner View Post
O.K. Well, perhaps we can compromise on the beach, as long as there are at least some reservoirs we can fish in. Also, my husband is an expert graphic/web designer and has finished another year of teaching grade school children computers at a private school near our home. I have been reading quite a few positive things about Charlotte...we are preparing to visit in just a few weeks to look for housing and employment...

Charlotte is a great start. There are some really good suburbs around Charlotte that are affordable. Also Check out Fort Mill/Rock Hill area, is about 15 min outside Charlotte. Great schools/next to no crime, there is a lake there that is pretty nice (Lake Wylie). 2.5 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the Mtn's, good weather, great place to live and check out if you want to stay outside the city. Fort Mill is about 10 min south of Charlotte in SC, Rock Hill is about 15 min south and is one of the largest suburbs of the Charlotte area. Also MUCH MUCH lower taxes in SC!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 121,617 times
I have to throw my hat in for the Charleston area. I've lived here all of my life and love it! Mt. Pleasant or James Island sound like perfect places for you guys to look for rentals, they are both just minutes from the beach and have great shops and restaurants. They are affordable rentals and the schools are the best in the area. As for the jobs part, although there is an abundance of service-industry, the tech industry is booming as well. Google is opening an operating facility in the North Charleston area, and there are various other web development companies, too. Check out CharlestonJobMarket.com and Jobs.sc.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
The Columbia area is a possibility, too. The traffic is much better than in Charlotte and the cost of living is very reasonable. The economy is very stable and unemployment is typically low. Both Lake Murray and Lake Wateree are nearby, along with 3 rivers adjacent to downtown. There are many good schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina