Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:51 PM

35 posts, read 121,021 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this town? I can't find any info on it. I know it's near Columbia but thats about it. Is it a nice area (middle class?) If any one knows it would be great to hear about it.Anything about the schools would be great to! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 31,797 times
Smile Hopkins, SC

Hi Cairnsclan

Hopkins is south of Fort Jackson near Sumter, SC and Shaw AFB. It is predominantly African American and the crime is high. I have a friend who lives there and she says there is a lot of violent crime.

Hope this helps and sorry to be negative.

Michelle

Old 01-16-2007, 02:39 PM

55 posts, read 237,702 times
Hopkins has 13,513 people (according to the most recent census taken), has a 5.6% unemployment rate, the most recent crime statistics that I could find reported 6 violent crimes and 3 property crimes in a year (I think it was 2004), the average price of a home there is $110,000 and the average appreciation rate on real estate is about 5% annually. I am not sure how precise these numbers are as I found conflicting data that had no date to go along with it. The other data that I found had the unemployment rate at 4.5%, average home value at $96,000, and a population of just under 13,000.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Hopkins is just south of Columbia. It is a country setting, where a lot of people have acreage, horse farms, etc. It is set to be the next boom area of Columbia, because of the farmland. People are already selling out, and their neighbour's are upset, as they don't want the growth. They are already building new subdivisions out there, some of them expensive. In a few years it will just be part of Columbia. The selling point is that the south part of Columbia is not tangled up in traffic like the booming northern part. You can get to a downjob job very quickly. With this in mind, retail has already started in that direction. Big new Wal-Mart already in place, updating of an older mall is finished, with nice new stores. Land is cheaper in that direction also - so that is where the builders are going. Shame really. Don't know much about the schools, but the top-rated Columbia schools aren't in that area. There are private schools over there though. There are also Catholic schools, and a Catholic high school in town.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 23,964 times
Default students would appreciate hopkins information

Hello. A group of 6 students at Clemson University are seeking information about Hopkins for a community profile to potentially be used in community development efforts. Our initial question is what are Hopkins five best assets and what are its five worst drawbacks to community development. All opinions are welcome! Thank you! and thank you Nausikaa
Senior Member for your earlier post.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 10,986 times
Default Hopkins, S.C.

I was born and raised in Hopkins, and visit there at least once a year. I still have friends, family, and relatives in the area. I would be glad to try and answer any questions that you may have.
I live in Alaska now, but still own some land in that area.
Ed Manning, II

Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Hopkins is more of just an "area" than it is a town. It is not incorporated and the population figure cited is probably for the census designated area called Hopkins. Part of the area called Hopkins is now in suburban Columbia and will continue to transition from more rural to suburban over time.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times
I grew up in Hopkins. If you have kids, you're gonna have to send them to a private school, because the education picture out there is NOT pretty. The schools are probably the only real negative, although there are some really sketchy areas. Stay close to 378, and you'll probably be OK.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 33,764 times
Don't move to Hopkins! The school district (Richland #1) is one of the worst in the state and is one of the Palmetto Priority Schools with 4 not reaching potential. Anyone wanting to know about schools, go to the school web sites by starting with Web Page Under Construction and go to the websites of the schools for each district you are interested in. They give school reports and how each ranked. If there are 3 unsatisfactories, the state calls them a "Palmetto Priority School" (near to be taken over by the state!). If they don't straighten up, they are state run and everyone leaves or gets fired. Look it up on the SC Dept. of Ed site. It's a poverty area and one of crime. People I know won't even drive there let alone live there.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamept View Post
Don't move to Hopkins! The school district (Richland #1) is one of the worst in the state and is one of the Palmetto Priority Schools with 4 not reaching potential. Anyone wanting to know about schools, go to the school web sites by starting with Web Page Under Construction and go to the websites of the schools for each district you are interested in. They give school reports and how each ranked. If there are 3 unsatisfactories, the state calls them a "Palmetto Priority School" (near to be taken over by the state!). If they don't straighten up, they are state run and everyone leaves or gets fired. Look it up on the SC Dept. of Ed site. It's a poverty area and one of crime. People I know won't even drive there let alone live there.
You really can't lump all schools in Richland District One together as there are some very fine schools in the district. In fact, A.C. Flora High School was just named as a member of the top 5% of public high schools in the country by Newsweek.

The State | 06/17/2008 | A.C. Flora makes top schools list (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina