Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,747 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a freshman at CofC and does not plan on going back. She loves the city, but finds the student body hard to get to know. There is way too much drinking and what she called degenerate drunken behavior on the part of a large number of students. It gets old fast. There isn't any easy way to get around it, and she doesn't want to do the Greek thing. I assure you she is a very bright, pretty and
creative kid who had high hopes. Maybe it is due to her being from a private school background that did have diversity. And she is from the north.It is all sad because she said after two and a half months nothing has changed. That doesn't mean it won't work for your child of course. We are heading back to a small private liberal arts school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrydust View Post
My daughter is a freshman at CofC and does not plan on going back. She loves the city, but finds the student body hard to get to know. There is way too much drinking and what she called degenerate drunken behavior on the part of a large number of students. It gets old fast. There isn't any easy way to get around it, and she doesn't want to do the Greek thing. I assure you she is a very bright, pretty and
creative kid who had high hopes. Maybe it is due to her being from a private school background that did have diversity. And she is from the north.It is all sad because she said after two and a half months nothing has changed. That doesn't mean it won't work for your child of course. We are heading back to a small private liberal arts school.

I find that amusing because when my daughter (who is a southerner) took the tour, she felt that the overwhelming number of students were from the north. Not sure if the statistics bear that out but it was a turn-off for her. Interesting how different people have different takes on things. Mine also decided she loved the city (shopping and restaurants) but not the school.

I hope your daughter finds a better fit for her.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
Talking Ferrydust?

We are from CT, My daughter is a freshman @ C of C and is getting along great both academically and socially! Pls do not blame the school for your daughters social issues. If you do not think that drinking is previlent on all college campuses you should consider transfering to Brigham Young???

Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I find that amusing because when my daughter (who is a southerner) took the tour, she felt that the overwhelming number of students were from the north. Not sure if the statistics bear that out but it was a turn-off for her. Interesting how different people have different takes on things. Mine also decided she loved the city (shopping and restaurants) but not the school.

I hope your daughter finds a better fit for her.

many of SC's state schools have large out of state enrollments

according to 2009's edition of US News' profiles on colleges and universities in the US:

Clemson - 30% out of state
Coastal Carolina - 48% out of state
C of C - 37% out of state
Citadel - 53%!!!! (so much for calling it THE military college of south carolina)
USC - 24% out of state

essentially at the major in state schools 1/3 of the enrollment is going to be out of state.

coastal is slightly less than 1/2.

compare this with the major in state schools from NC (NC State, UNC Chap and ECU) where the average is like 15-20%. in fact NC State only has like 10% out of state students.

still for SC schools the in state enrollment is the majority 2/3rd's to be exact as the average.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
I'm not denying that there are out-of-state at all the schools. I gave my opinion of how it felt. Sheesh, what is happening to freedom of speech or opinion?

And, 37% of 10,000 at CofC is going to "feel" different than 24% of 26,000 at USC. College of Charleston felt like a northern school in a southern city, which is born out by Joe Campano's statement. His daughter is from Connecticut and is very happy there. I'm glad she's happy. Mine is happy in a very different environment.

I also agree with Joe's statement: drinking on college campuses exists everywhere, probably even at BYU.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
I transferred from Clemson University to Coastal Carolina and I loved Coastal. I graduated there in 2000 and if I had to do it all over again, I would in a second. I don't know what is not to like about going to a great school in the heart of myrtle beach.......

Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM

8,219 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
If you think that's unusual, I know someone that went to Central Carolina Tec, transferred to UVA and then transferred to Francis Marion. Why anyone would want to go from a prestigious school like UVA to what is basically a community college is beyond me.
Matt... you just slammed my alma mater....I never felt that we were a community college.. more so a commuter college. but compared to UVA.. I guess anything is possible......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina