Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,699 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking to move to south carolina I am defiantly not looking for city i am looking for more suburbs and looking to kinda be close to north carolina boarder i am okay with traveling 30 to 45 minutes to get to a city to work any ideas of a place tat might be right for my family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 16,553 times
Smile Some info please on Duncan area

Hi all! My family is considering relocating from Northeast PA and would like to know some information. We are in our 40s and have a 10 year old and a 19 year old. My mother may also be coming who is 75. My husband has a job opportunity in Duncan (he is a truck driver) and I do transcription from home, so jobs aren't a problem. How is the school system, things to do for young and seniors, and anything else you might like to add. We really appreciate it!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,259 times
Smile Hi, This is to all trying to relocate to SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Been enjoying this forum and would appreciate some information. My family would like to move from Long Island, New York, to South Carolina.Too stressful here. We want to be near the coast but not so close that we have to worry about hurricanes. We are looking for towns with nice people, good schools and low crime rates. We have looked into a small town called Johnsonville, with a new community being built called Persimmon Fields. We have not been to South Carolina yet, but plan a trip this fall. Any ideas about Johnsonville or other areas we might like?
We are couple of seniors living in small town in SC called Great Falls. Nothing fancy about it, but you can live here very comfortably, even on small, fixed income, yet have acces to lakes, forests, fishing, boating. There are nice walking trails and everything you need, like: supermarket, library, schools, medical clinic, emergency unit and police station. Town is located just in the middle between Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC. About 40 min drive to each. You can buy a decent house here for $49.000! It is 3 bd 2bath 1740sqf on quiet street. It just happen that we have to sell our house, with regrets. If you or somebody out there is interested, please send us e-mail zfitz75@gmail.com

Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,259 times
Smile We have what you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn110281 View Post
I am currently looking to move to south carolina I am defiantly not looking for city i am looking for more suburbs and looking to kinda be close to north carolina boarder i am okay with traveling 30 to 45 minutes to get to a city to work any ideas of a place tat might be right for my family
Please read our reply to BARBARA question
Our Great Falls house is located exactly! in the middle between Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC. It is a great home for the family. Walk to school! supermarket and library, yet peaceful and safe with nice, smiling people. Only $ 49.000 ! give it a try : zfitz75@gmail.com

Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 17,002 times
I'm wanting to retire in SC. I live in Nashville Tn now. I would like to live an hour drive to the beach. I love old historic towns and homes. Being an hour from the beach,would homeowners insurance be really high?
What are some sweet safe small towns?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Was interested in this address . Does this area flood Really bad? On the Waccamaw River.
1005 Rowe Pond Rd.
Conway, SC 29526

Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I heard Hugo mentioned several times on here. I am native to North Carolina and have experienced two hurricanes in 66 years. One was Hazel back in the mid fifties in Wilkes County (the mountains) and the other was Hugo in 1989.

I live in the next county over from Charlotte. I came home from work and my husband was putting our patio furniture in our garage. I asked why he was doing that and his answer was that the weather man and news had suggested it since we were going to get a hurricane. I laughed at him. We are three hours from Myrtle Beach and about four hours from Charleston where Hugo came in.

Last week we got rain when Beryl was on the Florida/Georgia border and the next couple of days as it moved on up the coast. I didn't consider that experiencing a hurricane, but that is usually what we get here when there is a hurricane. We get some downpours of water. Last week it was like the sky opened up and buckets were pouring out.

Hugo and Hazel were different. We did not get any sleep that night. At about midnight the wind started really blowing and it continued until about 5 A. M. We think a small tornado touched down in our back yard. It leveled about 20 small trees. My son put dirt around them the next day and tied them so they would stand up and saved almost every one of them. We had sustained winds of about 80 mph and gusts up to 100 mph for hours. It got quiet for just a little while and then started again. The eye of the hurricane went directly over us. There were a couple deaths in our county if I remember correctly.

If you are moving to any location in the South, you need to know that lakes are pretty but be sure to get a home in an elevated area above the lake and watch those long rivers like the PeeDee. They will flood more than you expect. Check out the map and see where all the water comes from. If you are in an elevated area, you will probably be fine. A topography map is a good idea if you are looking in an area and it has been my experience that the better communities are usually located in the most elevated areas. We learned this the hard way when we bought our first house and the little branch out back turned into a lake in our back yard when we would get an inch of rain in about an hour. Our beautiful green comes from all that rain. You might want to check the news about what areas have flooded in the past in an area. Flooding is not fun.

I prefer the counties in South Carolina that are closest to the North Carolina line. The South Carolina low country is very hot and very humid in the Summer. My favorite towns in South Carolina are Fort Mill, Indianland, Chester, Tega Cay, Pageland. There are many small towns along I-77 and I-20. I-85 seems to be very congested, but there are some good towns along I-85 too. And yes, Great Falls is great. For years the schools from our county and the schools from Lancaster County had a football game the Friday before our school year began. There would be about three schools from each county playing a decided schedule--not a normal game. The winner of the game got to claim Andrew Jackson for the following year. Andrew Jackson was born almost on the NC/SC border and the state line has changed several times and even historians cannot agree as to which state he was born in, so we share. Great Falls was always a tough team to beat.

Last edited by NCN; 05-31-2012 at 10:58 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,678 times
Lived my first 50 years in South Carolina and then several states including Florida before retiring in East Tennessee on a mountain lake near Knoxville for about 15 years now. The cost of living is the lowest, the crime rate is much much lower, weather is pleasant most of the year. The views are breath taking. It is paradise but don't tell anyone. We visit family and friends in South Carolina but when they visit us they are jealous and do not want to leave. Just look at East Tennessee and see for yourself.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Thank you both so much. very helpful. I was raised in Kingsport, Tn. and really don't care for the area. I was hoping to be in a 1-2 hour drive to the beach. I worry about taxes in North Carolina. Again thank you both.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersdylan8 View Post
lol, im not trying to bash south carolina but...we have the worst public school system in the united states .

the main good schools are in Irmo/chapin are and also in york county and some in columbia.

you can check to see if the school you are going to is good at myscschools.com

like for example...my mom and i (im 13 and go to chapin middle school...ranks nationally)were bored so we decided to go into columbia and my mom said "let me show you where my friend used to live, she lived in a bad area"...well were getting close (near monticello road) (eau clair highschool is on monticello road...horrible school...people have been killed there...but jermain oneal did come from there)and she shows me this how...it is in the ghetto, like across the street there are houses that are run down (probably crack houses ) and we see these gang members (so we think) they are all wearing red so were both like lets get the hell out of here...

hope i didnt change your mind about the school system....remember the best schools are in irmo, chapin, york county, and some in columbia (gibbs middle school is in the ghettto i was riding by and saw a homeless guy sitting right near the entrance).

i'm assuming this poster who listed their age as 13 back in '06 has grown up and ventured outside the midlands. in fact i don't hope i pray they have. your cited website for checking school rankings also went off the grid so to speak and the domain no longer exists. good job sport :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina