Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 AM

698 posts, read 2,830,134 times

Advertisements

Being in SoFL we're used to homes that are built on a concrete slab because of the high water table. While I'm looking at homes in SC online I very often see that many of them have foundations that are crawl spaces. My husband doesn't like that and says crawl spaces can encourage moldy air entering the house. I've read a little about that and see that a vapor barrier needs to be put down on the soil under the house to prevent mildew/mold.etc.
Could anyone explain why so many homes in SC are built on crawl spaces and not concrete slabs? Is there a distinct advantage or is it just to accomodate the type of terrain/bedrock, etc.
Also, are newer homes being built with crawl spaces or is it mainly existing homes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM

425 posts, read 1,565,272 times
I would also love to hear what others have to say. Our realtor in SC ( we are moving from PA where we all have basements) said having a house with a crawl space is better if you ever need repairs or additions ect.. I guess it offers easier access.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:40 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,498,586 times
Well, I've lived in both types. I'm not an expert, but have read articles about it. seems not much difference. My home has a crawl space, as do all in my neighborhood. the newer cheaper homes seem to be on a slab. a home with a crawl space will have a plastic ground barrier. our house is on a slight hill, so can walk in one side of our crawl space. There we have a gas furnace and hot water heater under the house. also some storage space for tools etc. it allows ready access to all plumbing pipes, furnace, etc, and is quite convenient. especially convenient if you want to remodel, i.e. plumbing. Also, the biggest factor to me - concrete slab floors will kill your legs when working in the kitchen. Also it makes the house colder in the winter. i personally don't like concrete slab. most people around here prefer crawl space. because we don't have basements, because i guess of the humidity, if you don't have a crawl space, your furnace/AC, hot water heater, have to be in the house somewhere, which takes up room. Also, generally, we don't normally have frozen pipes to worry about.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:10 PM

745 posts, read 2,223,248 times
I've lived in basement, crawl, and slab houses. Slab construction is the cheapest, but as others have said, it is cold, and there is no access to the pipes under the house. A friend who remodeled his bathroom had to cut up the concrete, move the pipes, and repair the concrete. I would prefer a basement in our next house (in SC), but will settle for a crawl space. No more slabs for me!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,144,497 times
In addition to what the others have said I will add this,

We almost purchased a home with a fairly large crawlspace. The home was built prior to indoor climate control. It would have been very easy to add central A/C in this house because all of the ductwork could have been under the house.

I would much rather have a pipe leak under my house than under my floor (assuming I was going to get a blasted leak).

Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,571,249 times
Default Concrete slabs...

Something else to consider about concrete slabs.... ants love them (and they will infest your house).

Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,498,586 times
to be fair to concrete slabs though, I've never known anyone with a plumbing leak. The pipes are in the concrete, and are protected. any plumbing problems will probably be outside, from roots, etc. It's just not so easy to remodel, they hard on yr legs, and are cold in winter. i've lived in 2 solidly built bricks houses on a slab, and never had a prob. prefer crawl space though, for the convenience.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Question thanks for pros and cons but why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
I've lived in basement, crawl, and slab houses. Slab construction is the cheapest, but as others have said, it is cold, and there is no access to the pipes under the house. A friend who remodeled his bathroom had to cut up the concrete, move the pipes, and repair the concrete. I would prefer a basement in our next house (in SC), but will settle for a crawl space. No more slabs for me!
We have the ants, that's for sure, but figure that in SoFL ants are just the unofficial pets in any house.

At night the big ants come into our garage looking for things to add to their nests. Last summer I opened a garage window to spray WD40 on the cranks and found a huge nest the ants had built on the inside of the glass and inside the crank mechanism, with mounds of wood mulch that sits below there in the hedge.
I removed the nest (and still intend to remove the mulch from around the house) but that shows the ants like wood too, which leads me to wonder if SC homes have wood siding or vinyl?

The cold floor is a real misery, and even in our last high rise condo we had tile over concrete and that was icy cold all the time.
A warm floor is something I hadn't thought of, but would be a welcome change.

Unless I missed something on this thread, I'm still not sure *why* SC homes are built mainly on crawl spaces. Considering that you have said slabs are cheaper, does it imply that construction there is just a higher quality, that the guts of a house such as plumbing and wiring have to be accessed more often for repairs or is it done because of a structural or terrain necessity?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM

90 posts, read 441,947 times
It is mostly due to terrain and soil bearing capacities. The new SC building codes are strict with what foundation is allowed for what type of soil you have. Concrete slabs are a very inexpensive way to build and I personally would never have a home on one. We own a construction business and my husband has built homes for years and he has not once built on a concrete slab. He has never been 'requested' to do so, and I know for a fact that he would never agree to build a home on one. There are too many issues that would arise if you did want a house on one. So many problems can occur. Years from now, you'd be looking at structure and foundation erosion and that's just the tip of the ice berg. If you're looking for a house on a slab, I think you'll be out of luck here. Every house around here has a basement or crawl space. That's just the way it is. My husband could write you a book on why you shouldn't have a home on a concrete slab!

Most people around here do not have any trouble with their crawl spaces. They give easy access to the under belly of the home, you have a bit of storage space for small outdoor items, etc. It is in older homes where you will find the mold problems seeping up into the home from the under belly of the house. Home owners are having to get someone in to vapor barrier their house. If you look for a newer home, you are more likely to find a vapor barrier already in place. Crawl spaces in new homes here in Anderson Co have to have vapor barriers now. It's code. You cannot pass inspection without one. And they cannot just be thrown in there. The inspector goes under the house and makes sure it is properly laid and secure. You will not pass inspection if it is just thrown in there and hastily laid. We are not required to lay one in our Greenville county homes, but we put one in place with all of our new construction that we do. It's something my husband believes in and he provides this to every home he constructs.

I think you should rest easy about the slab/crawl space issue. Don't make too much out of it. It's just what we do here.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catschmidt View Post
It is mostly due to terrain and soil bearing capacities. The new SC building codes are strict with what foundation is allowed for what type of soil you have.

I think you should rest easy about the slab/crawl space issue. Don't make too much out of it. It's just what we do here.

Thanks, Cat!
I'm not worried at all. In fact, I think from what I have read that it's a good idea. My husband, on the other hand, is the wary one, having a father who was a master plumber for 45 years who prefers a slab, who now lives in a home with a slab and now that we have been chatting about this, I see why. Perhaps he likes that the plumbing is secured underground and does not, on the whole, leak. They did have a slab house long ago in the Midwest that developed a leak and their bedroom floor had to be ripped open to repair it. Homeowner's covered it, but I'm sure it was a big mess.
Still, my father in law seems to prefer slabs and as in many other things, we tend to inheret our opinions from family.
If we move to SC we will learn as much as we can and embrace the crawl space!
I was just curious about the reason for them so thanks for addressing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina