Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,642,588 times

Advertisements

I stood in line for almost 24 hours on Black Friday in front of Best Buy just to save $350 on my laptop. The experience was how do I say it...interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 AM

207 posts, read 1,001,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I think 'tax-free' is just a gimmick. If you go out and spend $300 on a child for clothes, supplies, backpatc, etc you'll save what... approximately $21? Is it worth that to fight crowds similar to those of Black Friday? Especially when you consider that if you've watched sales the last several weeks and continue to watch them over the next few weeks leading up to the new school year, you'll be able to save at least that much - if not more - and not have to corral through a big, hot, muggy, sweaty, stinky crowd. Several weeks ago Walmart had spiral notebooks marked down to $.10 each. I bought 20 of them for my daughter for drawing, song-writing, etc. That's not the only sale on back-to-school items I've seen.
I agree...its not worth it to me...not enough of a savings. Although a lot of stores will discount things as well during this weekend to try to make it worth it.

And school supplies are not really that expensive. Our district requires us to make lists that can be purchased for $10 or less. I suppose that adds up if you buy for 5-6 kids...but still less than a tank of gas.

Still...I love the rush of Black Friday

Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Gman, almost everything is cheaper down here. It is one reason we made the move.

I don't have a supply list yet so buying stuff is kinda useless right now. I do know I need to buy a trumpet though.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 AM

843 posts, read 2,737,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I don't have a supply list yet so buying stuff is kinda useless right now.
We got ours through the mail several weeks ago. In fact, they may have sent it home with my daughter on the last day of the school year, I don't remember now. I don't know if they're out yet, but Walmart usually has a few kiosks set up near the front of the store with supply lists for all the schools in the county.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:04 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
We got ours through the mail several weeks ago. In fact, they may have sent it home with my daughter on the last day of the school year, I don't remember now. I don't know if they're out yet, but Walmart usually has a few kiosks set up near the front of the store with supply lists for all the schools in the county.
We are new to this school this year (1st year middle school). I was told by the webmaster that lists weren't available and that I would probably get one at meet and greet. I've checked Walmart but nothing is available yet.

If I had more than 2 kids sales tax holiday might be worth it but I usually spend under $200 for these supplies and my time is worth more than the $12 savings I'd realize anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina