U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM

7,292 posts, read 11,019,290 times

Advertisements

I-73 seems to have taken another step forward. This highway could be a real boom to the towns of Dillon, Marion, Mullins as it funnels visitors to Myrtle Beach from the upper Mid-West US. These communities may see an increase in not only economy travelers that may be seeking to be close to the Beach without being in the heart of it and the possible construction of retirement communities for those seeking to retire near the cost but not pay the higher prices and insurance premiums. Given its strategic location at the intersection of I-73 and I-95 Dillion stands to be a potential winner. Direct Interstate access should cut down on driving time and make access from these areas to the beach more convenient.

The State | 08/06/2008 | Northern section of I-73 gets key approval (broken link)
http://www.i73.com/images/SC_sm.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM

11,338 posts, read 22,636,736 times
So, when is construction going to start on it? Never.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,689,458 times
Realistically, even after it all is approved, how long do you think it will take the 90 or so miles of I-73 to be built in SC?? Probably at least 5-10 years, so you're looking at it opening maybe in 2015 if things fall into place (small chance - realistically probably 2020 or beyond). This is one of the main problems w/our governments, the incrediblely slow process of getting things accomplished, it takes 20 years (they've been talking about this for at least a decade now) to get a freaking expressway built in almost all rural land.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,488,770 times
Agreed.... I just saw that the overpass scheduled for Hwy 17 Bypass (Glenn's Bay Rd I think?) is scheduled to START until 2011 and is already $21M over budget.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Realistically, even after it all is approved, how long do you think it will take the 90 or so miles of I-73 to be built in SC?? Probably at least 5-10 years, so you're looking at it opening maybe in 2015 if things fall into place (small chance - realistically probably 2020 or beyond). This is one of the main problems w/our governments, the incrediblely slow process of getting things accomplished, it takes 20 years (they've been talking about this for at least a decade now) to get a freaking expressway built in almost all rural land.

This is true.. I am sure some of the hold up.. aside from funding is probably various environmental regs which seem to change annually... God forbid if a Red Cockaded Woodpecker or other endagered animal is found nesting in its path in addition to the aquisition of the right of way. I am sure that they will also encounter the occasional "hold out" who will fight the eminant domain of his/her property for use as a highway to the Supreme Court. If it goes....it could make a potentially long process longer . In Northern VA and parts of MD are beginning to experiment with so called "Hot" lanes that are built and I believe controlled by private entities. They are similar to toll lanes with the exception that the price will go up or down depending on the level of congestion. The private sectors invovlement may get them built quicker however; this is in existing Right of Way so they may not have the same aquisition of right of way issues as 73. Additionally, the private sector is looking at profiting off of the congestion which we don't have along 73 or will be season once it is built. If tolls were added most people may opt to avoid them thus pushing congestion into areas and small towns where it is not currently. So hopefully, in the distant future, our kids and grand kids will be able to get to the beach easier

Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM

177 posts, read 907,353 times
I think those areas of both Carolinas need the interstate, the entire route is so rural. But, I don't think it will help any of the existing businesses much, only give travelers a faster means of avoiding them. Any new businesses that come along at any interstate exits will be the only ones to benefit.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM

It would be interesting to track what happens in and around the Lumberton area where I believe I-74 intersects with I-95. The last time I was in that area, it was growing though very slowly along I-95 where there were the usual interstate type businesses. With 74 coming through, you wonder if that will increase the growth of that community.. also given its "interstate access" to Wilmington and the NC Coast. Since NC beat SC to the punch, they may certainly benefit first since their interstate will/is be completed first...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM

177 posts, read 907,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
It would be interesting to track what happens in and around the Lumberton area where I believe I-74 intersects with I-95. The last time I was in that area, it was growing though very slowly along I-95 where there were the usual interstate type businesses. With 74 coming through, you wonder if that will increase the growth of that community.. also given its "interstate access" to Wilmington and the NC Coast. Since NC beat SC to the punch, they may certainly benefit first since their interstate will/is be completed first...
Lumberton probably will be the only town to prosper, maybe Laurinburg too. From there to the coast, actually from Monroe to the coast...with exceptions, the communities are so small they'll lost in it all and be completely bypassed. The proposed interstate areas in S.C. have nothing close as far as towns that could feed off of the interstate. All of those small towns have only a few hundred people. N.C. will definitely benefit a lot more than S.C.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:41 AM

3,796 posts, read 5,001,190 times
Quote:
HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) — Gov. Henry McMaster is expected to announce $300 million for construction of I-73 in Horry County, according to State Senator Stephen Goldfinch (R-Murrells Inlet).

McMaster is expected to make the announcement Monday, according to an invite sent out to officials and obtained by News13. South Carolina Department of Transportation Secretary Christy Hall will join McMaster for the announcement.

“He has not specifically told me what the number is going to be,” Goldfinch said. “My understanding from others is that it’s going to be no less than what he dedicated for I-26.”

Goldfinch said the funds for I-26 were in the range of $300 million.

https://www.wbtw.com/growthtracker/m...-senator-says/

Old 10-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Well this is good news for the Pee Dee especially places like Marion and Marlboro County.. I can see retirement communities popping up in Marion County as it is more rural and less pricy than Horry but this new route will provide better connectivity to get back and forth between the coast and ones retirement home.

If a large developer comes in and builds a large retirement community in Marion County. It could be to Horry what Jasper County is to Beaufort County

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-04-2021 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina