Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,938 times

Advertisements

OK - I KNOW THIS IS A LOT BUT, HERE GOES!

MY HUSBAND HAS ACCEPTED A JOB IN FLORENCE AND HE WILL BE GOING DOWN SOON WHILE THE KIDS AND I SELL THE HOUSE. WE ARE CURRENTLY LIVING IN COLLIERVILLE, TN WHICH IS RIGHT OUTSIDE OF MEMPHIS. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO LIVE NEAR THE COAST SO FLORENCE SEEMS GREAT IN THAT RESPECT. I KEEP HEARING ABOUT MYRTLE BEACH BUT, ARE THERE NO OTHER BEACHES CLOSER OR THAT AREN'T SO CROWDED?

COLLIERVILLE HAS WONDERFUL SCHOOLS (WHY WE MOVED HERE FROM THE CITY) AND I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT FLORENCE SCHOOLS. I HAVE RESEARCHED ALL THE SCHOOLS AND HAVE DECIDED ON CARVER, SNEED, AND W FLORENCE HIGH BUT I HAVE SEEN MANY POSTS THAT SAY PRIVATE IS STILL THE WAY TO GO. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY COMMENTS THAT MAY HELP EXPLAIN WHY THE BEST SCHOOLS IN FLORENCE REALLY AREN'T THAT GREAT. ARE THERE ANY SCHOOLS (ELEM, MIDD, & HIGH) IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS THAT ARE ANY BETTER?

I ALSO COULDN'T COME TO A CONCLUSION ON THE CRIME IN FLORENCE. OF COURSE, THE PROBLEMS IN MEMPHIS STEM FROM THE WORST MAYOR ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET THAT SEEMS TO CONTINUALLY GET RE-ELECTED OVER ANS OVER AGAIN BUT, REGARDLESS, THE CITY OF MEMPHIS IS HORRIBLE!!! HOWEVER, IN COLLIERVILLE WE HAVE VERY VERY LITTLE CRIME AND THE POLICE OFFICERS ARE VERY DEVOTED TO KEEPING THE TOWN RUNNING SMOOTHLY. THEY HAVE BEEN KNOW TO RACIALLY PROFILE (WHICH IS VERY WRONG) BUT, WE DO FEEL VERY SAFE HERE. WE DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE COLLIERVILLE FOR ANYTHING REALLY SO WE DON'T HAVE TO TRAVEL INTO THE RIFF-RAFF IN MEMPHIS TOO MUCH. ARE THERE ANY SUBURBS AROUND FLORENCE THAT ARE LIKE THIS OR, IS FLORENCE LIKE THIS?

ALSO, HOW RACIST ARE THE PEOPLE IN FLORENCE? IN MEMPHIS IT IS HORRIBLE BOTH WAYS. I REALLY WANT TO GET AWAY FROM THESE VIEW POINTS AND HOPE THAT FLORENCE IS DIFFERENT.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT SUB TEACHING AT THE SCHOOLS? HERE WE CAN TAKE A TEST AN INTERVIEW AT THE SCHOOL BOARD TO QUALIFY FOR SUBSTITUTE TEACHING. I WOULD LIKE TO DO THIS SO I CAN BE WITH MY KIDS MORE. IF NOT, HOW IS THE JOB MARKET DOING NOW? I HAVE BEEN WORKING PART TIME FOR A CPA'S OFFICE SO I HAVE A LOT OF FREEDOM TO BE WITH MY KIDS. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TAX SEASON, I ONLY WORK A FEW DAYS A WEEK. MY HUSBAND IS TAKING A PAY CUT SO, I MAY HAVE TO WORK MORE. ARE THERE MANY PLACES TO WORK SO THAT I CAN STILL DROP OFF AND PICK UP MY KIDS FROM SCHOOL? I REALLY WANT TO BE WITH THEM MOST OF THE SUMMER TO BUT IF I CAN'T, WHAT KIND OF CARE IS THERE DURING THE SUMMER?

I ALSO NEED TO REFERENCES TO PRESCHOOLS IN THE AREA. MY YOUNGEST IN NOT QUITE FOUR YET SO WE ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT PLACE FOR HER TO START AT.

I AM ALSO CONFUSED BY OTHER STATISTICS THAT SAY IT IS A RELATIVELY POOR PLACE BUT THERE SEEM TO BE TONS OF HIGH DOLLAR HOUSES. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

I REALLY NEED ALL INFO THAT ANYONE CAN HELP WITH. I AM SO STRESSED NOW AND ANY HELP I CAN GET WOULD BE GREATLY HELPFUL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Sounds like you need a Realtor..They can answer a lot of your questions. Would you like me to refer on to you? If yes..DM me your contact info and I'll have someone contact you.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:03 PM

194 posts, read 748,680 times
West Florence has the better schools and many new homes and safe neighborhoods. You can find Crime Info by searching for SC Crime Statistics. Florence has crime just like most places do and since SC seems to be ranked #4 for crime, some areas are likely worse than others and bring down the ranking of our state in this regard. You should check with the School District about the sub teaching and I believe qualifing is similar to your area. You can also search for info on positions available online. There may also be other part time opportunites for you in other fields.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 AM

163 posts, read 664,561 times
Florence is kind of the "hub" for the region around it, known as the Pee Dee. People from smaller, surrounding towns come to Florence for medical care, shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. You should be able to find most of what you need right there. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Florence, and once you get familiar with the city you'll be able to find a place that is right for you. Most of the real estate is very affordable.

To the north and south of Myrtle Beach you can find some coastal areas that are not as crowded, such as Cherry Grove, Surfside, Pawley's Island, etc. Florence is also within day-tripping distance of Charleston.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,896 times
Hello, I am a Realtor in Hartsville, SC, a short distance from Florence. As I understand, the schools in west are very good as far as South Carolina schools in general. It is easy to become a Substitute teacher in SC as well. If I can be of assistance you can contact me through myspace (bobgardner22) or The Century-21 office in Hartsville at 843-383-5199.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina