U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 AM

289 posts, read 1,067,155 times
So whats the big deal, you buy it on sat. and then have it on sunday..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM

245 posts, read 680,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
Exactly! Or if you live near the border of NC, just drive there.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM

78 posts, read 194,548 times
what's the 'rule' in Greenville city? We (ignorant visitors that we were!) tried to order a glass of wine w/ lunch downtown on Sunday and were told 'no'.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,954,474 times
I grew up in the South under blue laws and miss them. with Blue Laws you couldnt purchase alcohol on sunday but you could consume it if you had bought it already.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,049 times
In Lexington County (Columbia). You can't buy alcohol on Sunday, but you can drink it in a restaurant.

You can buy food, gas, whatever on Sunday morning, but places like Wal-Mart don't sell merchandise until 1:30 p.m. They can sell food though. Grocery stores are all open on Sunday morning (just can't buy alcohol), have to go to restaurant. Malls opens at 1:30.

In Richland County (Columbia), you can't buy alcohol on Sunday, but can have alcohol in restaurant. Stores can sell merchandise before 1:30 p.m.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,043,033 times
Okay I am dying to know about Fort Mill and this law. I have never heard of such a thing. Can anyone tell me if they have it or where to find out about it. We are moving on June 1st. Between this and the personal property tax on things such as cars it has me scared about what all I don't know.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
Okay I am dying to know about Fort Mill and this law. I have never heard of such a thing. Can anyone tell me if they have it or where to find out about it. We are moving on June 1st. Between this and the personal property tax on things such as cars it has me scared about what all I don't know.
you pay the tax when you buy a tag, because it's not in your property tax. you will pay it one way or the other. just a different way. tags are only pricey on new cars, it becomes very low when they are a few years old.

i have never been in a southern state that sells alcohol on Sunday? correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM

2,357 posts, read 233,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
well, it's not a big deal. but that doesn't mean that it makes sense.

if I'm going out to eat on Sunday in Sumter, and I want beer or a glass of wine, I can't order it. Why? Because it's not Christian. Well.. what if I'm not a Christian? What if I'm a Christian who thinks having a glass of wine on Sunday is O.K.? What if I want to buy a 6-pack of Natural light and go fishing on Sunday, and I forgot to on Saturday? It is definitely a P.I.T.A.

I realize that it is legal, and not unconstitutional, per se, but I do think it violates the spirit of "separation of church and state". I also think that it serves absolutely no benefit to society whatsoever.

If they are like Chik-fil-A, and they want to do it on their own, I respect that. I just don't think it makes sense for the local/state government to force establishments to observe Christian views.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM

245 posts, read 680,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post

Yes, Ft. Mill has the blue laws too, they are part of York County. As far as the car tax it isn't too bad unless you have a newer vehicle or an expensive one. And that is paid once a year, you have to re-new the sticker on your car.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,898,638 times
Default Blue Laws in York County

As some other posters have mentioned the blue laws have to do with alcohol sales and retail sales (before 1:30 on Sundays).

The blue laws are not only changed from county to county but also can be changed from city/town within a county.

So with that said (all of)...York County has temporarily suspended the blue laws for 5 years on the retail portion of the blue laws (meaning businesses do not have to wait until 1:30 on Sunday to open). Prior to the suspension the only stores that would have been open were grocery stores and stores like WalMart that also offered groceries (yet the other portions of Wal Mart such as the clothes, etc. were off limits until 1:30 on Sunday).

The Blue Laws in regard to alcohol sales in York County are a little different too. The only city within York County that does not have the Blue Law restriction for alchohol is Tega Cay, SC (for over 20 years now). Yet rather ironic...since the only location in Tega Cay that alcohol is served is at the Tega Cay Golf Course. This too will change as Tega Cay has annexed land off of Hwy 160 and Gold Hill Rd...were in the near future will be a Wal Mart, additional retail stores and of course restaurants (yet right across the street....in Fort Mill...they will still continue to be dry on Sunday).

Of course we also have the option of driving 5 minutes out of town and crossing over into Charlotte where the blue laws do not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina