Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,193 times

Advertisements

Hey! Anderson County??? We currently live in Orlando/Daytona Bch area of FL and are relocating to SC this summer...Grandma lives in Salem and we love Anderson. Any suggestions on areas to live? Hubby is a pharmacist and we have two young children (4 and 11). Of course we are looking for the same thing as everyone else...affordable, safe, things to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:43 PM

425 posts, read 1,567,232 times
Thanks to all who replied to me. I don't mind not buying beer, wine on sundays it is that way here in PA. I just do a lot of my other shopping for groceries, clothing and essentials on Sundays and would hate to not get started till 1:30 but as lovethecarolina's has said I guess I can just drive 5 minutes. It is really hard coming from somewhere you have lived for 25 years (most of my childhood and adult life) to somewhere new. I am afraid of so many changes for my kids and my stress making it worse.

After reading about the car tax I do say we are going to reconsider the new honda van we were thinking about- ouch.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 AM

3,256 posts, read 9,160,706 times
I grew up under the Blue Laws and miss that it gave everyone the day off on Sunday, even if you did not go to church. There are hassles but if you grew up with it, it's not so bad.

I spent some time in PA and thought it very odd that there wasn't beer/wine sold in the grocery stores. You had to go to a specialty store to buy it. Liz

Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM

225 posts, read 688,555 times
I agree with "LOVETHECAROLINAS", in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area, you are so close to NC, that it is a short trip to Charlotte, if you need to do your shopping early. Perhaps with the new Walmart being built and a new Lowe's on Hwy 160, we won't have to go into NC.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 AM

548 posts, read 1,975,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Can anyone please explain this Blue Law thing and why it is pertinent to retail stores in the PeeDee region?

In many areas in FL, I remember you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays, thats ok w/ me, I understand that. What kills me is that retail stores don't open nor can sell goods ie: clothing and other non-food items, until after 1:30pm on Sundays! I work 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and it's driving me crazy that I cannot get anything accomplished until this time on Sundays, then have to contend with throngs of after-church mobs. Oh, did I just answer my own question?
It depends of where. In Greenville city you can drink, buy liquor (at least beer and wine) and shop on Sundays but you can't smoke <yeah!>. In the county (outside city limits) no sunday alcohol sales but you can shop and smoke <boo>. In Myrtle Beach and Charleston you can do all you can in Greenville city including smoking but I think Charleston just passed a no smoking bill (again yeah!). Other counties around may or may not allow shopping on Sunday but most don't allow alcohol sales. Columbia I believe still waits until 1 or 1:30 to open but Lexington county has no restrictions. This is strange for the mall which sits in the two counties. Those stores that are in Columbia county can't open, those in Lexington can...weird.

note: I am very opinionated about smoking, especially in restaurants and outside entrances to buildings.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,510,364 times
You got that a little wrong. It's Lexington county that the department stores are closed on Sunday morning. The Home Depot and Lowes are on the other side of the interstate (Irmo), and they open early on Sunday. The Columbiana mall does straddle the line, and several stores decided to open early, but it didn't work out. No one was interested.

Many people like to sleep late on Sunday, read the paper, have breakfast, and don't go out until after lunch anyway. All the restaurants are open. Thye can serve alcohol on Sunday. You just can't buy in a store on Sunday.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
You got that a little wrong. It's Lexington county that the department stores are closed on Sunday morning. The Home Depot and Lowes are on the other side of the interstate (Irmo), and they open early on Sunday. The Columbiana mall does straddle the line, and several stores decided to open early, but it didn't work out. No one was interested.

Oops sorry was trying to recall from memory what side had what. I think the issue is that the big stores were all in the wrong county so it wasn't advantageous to open early.

Many people like to sleep late on Sunday, read the paper, have breakfast, and don't go out until after lunch anyway. All the restaurants are open. Thye can serve alcohol on Sunday. You just can't buy in a store on Sunday.
That was the way it was in Greenville City limits until a judge decided that since the vote to allow sales didn't specifically say *only* in restaurants stores could now sell. The just started to this year.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyDog View Post
what's the 'rule' in Greenville city? We (ignorant visitors that we were!) tried to order a glass of wine w/ lunch downtown on Sunday and were told 'no'.

Greenville city *allows* sales on Sunday's since June 2000. This doesn't mean a restaurant has to sell it. In fact, they make it a pain in the neck (or at least they did when it first came out) by making the business apply for a license every week to sell on Sundays. They might have changed it since. One can now also purchase beer and wine on Sundays in the city. Outside city limits no on both.
What restaurant did you go to? It maybe that they are so small that the cost of the license isn't offset by purchases so they don't bother.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 79,212 times
When you move to an area, especially ones that still have strong religious beliefs, you probably should expect restrictions on Sunday. Many cities in most states do not sell alcohol before a certain hour (depending on each city times will differ). Some counties are dry counties and don't sell alcohol any day. There are many areas that are considered "bible belt" in the south, and one would expect such rules to exist. There are other places that are not really what you would consider to be "bible belt" but they still have laws in place restricting the sale of alcohol on Sunday, but not shopping or anything else. Even Miami, which is nothing close to being a "bible belt" area has restrictions on alcohol sales on Sunday's.

As far as separation of church and state... that always gives me a big laugh. This whole country was founded on Christian principles... and they are very deep rooted in this country's beginnings. The founding father's meant for the separation of church and state to be freedom of religion, meaning not a State sponsored religion as it was in England where Henry VIII was the head of the church and king, and not freedom FROM religion. It was not meaning that laws could not be inspired by religious values, and Christianity has always been the most predominant religion in this country.

Certain laws may seem crazy to some, but to others they are highly valued.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 88,966 times
Default Soooo yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
you pay the tax when you buy a tag, because it's not in your property tax. you will pay it one way or the other. just a different way. tags are only pricey on new cars, it becomes very low when they are a few years old.

i have never been in a southern state that sells alcohol on Sunday? correct me if i'm wrong.
Yep...your wrong.....Aiken City, which is in SC, allows Sunday alcohol sales. Thank you god. I can't be young forever and Aiken found a new way to generate revenue. I miss living 5 minutes away from that wonderful town. I love Spartanburg but I hate when the gov't tries to regulate EVERYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina