Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,488,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
They don't have blue laws in Charleston, and I don't think they have them in Myrtle Beach. I know they have them in Sumter, and in Columbia. Personally I think they are absurd, and I think (and hope) their days are numbered.
Columbia and Richland County voted to do away with our blue laws like 20 years ago. The only thing still in effect is the state law that stores can't sell alcohol on Sundays except in tourist areas along the coast. Stores can open in Richland County and sell anything else whenever they want to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

543 posts, read 2,358,566 times
You can purchase alcohol in horry county on sunday but you can't purchase it in some areas of columbia on sunday.

I could care less because I don't drink.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:09 PM

58 posts, read 221,246 times
Default Tega Cay SC and Sunday alcohol sales

Tega Cay residents might not have to drive to Charlotte to buy beer on Sundays if voters approve a measure planned for the November ballot.
Tega Cay and Rock Hill allow bars and restaurants within city limits to sell alcohol by the drink seven days a week. Soon York County voters will get to decide whether to allow that in the rest of the county. At the same time, Tega Cay residents will be asked to consider whether to allow retail stores the right to sell alcohol to be consumed off premises. Right now Tega Cay stores can't sell alcohol on Sundays. The (golf course) clubhouse can, but no one else. City leaders want to change that.

With the city's first commercial growth on its way in Stonecrest, tenants such as Wal-Mart and Petro Express would have an advantage over other retailers because the countywide referendum only deals with bars and restaurants.

That onsite and offsite consumption are two separate issues under state law -- and that the city only dealt with one of them years ago when Tega Cay became one of only a handful of S.C. cities to allow Sunday alcohol sales.
You can go to Harris Teeter on Highway 49 (in North Carolina) at noon on a Sunday, and about half of the people there are from Tega Cay buying a 24-pack. So, obviously, there is a demand for it!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM

24 posts, read 79,163 times
If there are laws prohibiting Sunday sales, and you know you like to have a few drinks or whatever on the weekends.... buy on Friday or Saturday and you are set.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,011,905 times
I love how people blame this on religion, when in reality that doesn't have much to do with it. As a matter a fact, I think its rather ignorant to instantly blame religion.

When these laws were implemented, the Southern states faced major issues with alcoholism as well as drunk driving...mainly during NASCAR season (go figure). In response to this the state and local governments made it so you can't purchase alcohol on Sundays (not because of religion, but because of race day, do the math). And you thought religion was a silly reason......?

Liberals found a way to blame the Blue Laws on religion, which is why it has become mainstream to assume so. If you are really going to whine about this law, then move somewhere else. Instead of separation of church-and-state it should be separation of sports-and-state.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM

I am from Germany where alcohol is available everywhere, and I find most people drink there in moderation. I made an observation here in the South, in areas where they still have the blue laws. Alcohol seems to be more interesting (especially to young people) where it is prohibited. I just got back from Pennsylvania, talk about double standart there. You can only buy beer from a private vendor in a 24+ case. Where is the moderation there? Don't they know beer has an expiration date. Like you cannot find just one beer or a six pack at a gas station. I found that to be strange.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I love how people blame this on religion, when in reality that doesn't have much to do with it. As a matter a fact, I think its rather ignorant to instantly blame religion.

When these laws were implemented, the Southern states faced major issues with alcoholism as well as drunk driving...mainly during NASCAR season (go figure). In response to this the state and local governments made it so you can't purchase alcohol on Sundays (not because of religion, but because of race day, do the math). And you thought religion was a silly reason......?

Liberals found a way to blame the Blue Laws on religion, which is why it has become mainstream to assume so. If you are really going to whine about this law, then move somewhere else. Instead of separation of church-and-state it should be separation of sports-and-state.
If the blue laws were made for race fans then the police should patrol the race track. About religion, where I grew up katholic monks made beer from the 11th century to today. It should be up to each individual to decide, it's a free country. Am I right?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,662,317 times
Quote:

Nascar season runs from Feb. through Nov. so I don't believe that and not all fans drink.....I am a fan and I don't drink. While the Cup race is on Sundays, most of the time, race fans go from Friday-Sunday because qualifying is on Friday, and the Busch (now Nationwide) series race on Sat.. So if alchohol is purchased I believe most of it has been done before Sunday.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,011,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Nascar season runs from Feb. through Nov. so I don't believe that and not all fans drink.....I am a fan and I don't drink. While the Cup race is on Sundays, most of the time, race fans go from Friday-Sunday because qualifying is on Friday, and the Busch (now Nationwide) series race on Sat.. So if alchohol is purchased I believe most of it has been done before Sunday.

However, in the 1950's when the laws were first created, the race-related drinking problems were A LOT worse. By the way, a lot of the race fans celebrate afterwards, I know I do, thats where Sunday comes in to play.

Religions are not as anti-alcohol as everyone assumes, Catholics encourage drinking. Hell, I'm a baptist and I had my first drink at church.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 PM

168 posts, read 693,049 times
Quote:

Nice theory. If this is the case, then tell me what NASCAR has to do with purchasing just about anything not grocery related before 1:30 on Sunday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina