Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 29,938 times

Advertisements

ahh yes christianity strikes again..... worship the man on the tree with the nails in his hands. if you dont he will send you to hell where you burn for ever and ever but he loves you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,506,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
Nice theory. If this is the case, then tell me what NASCAR has to do with purchasing just about anything not grocery related before 1:30 on Sunday?
Exactly. The NASCAR theory is a weak one, at best. All of the blue laws should be repealed in my opinion. If people don't want to drink or buy certain things on Sundays they don't have to, but leave the rest of us alone.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM

168 posts, read 693,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Exactly. The NASCAR theory is a weak one, at best. All of the blue laws should be repealed in my opinion. If people don't want to drink or buy certain things on Sundays they don't have to, but leave the rest of us alone.
I'll second that sentiment.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 88,958 times
Default lol

I think it has more to do with the respect for those that do choose to worship on sundays. It was probably stemming from that when it was originally created.....and those just chose not to repeal it. It not religions "fault". It's more or a respect thing. Like pulling over as a funeral caravan passes. It's obviously not a law.....BUT I for one wouldn't have a problem with them making it one. It urks me so bad to see people passing cars that pull over in reverance to the deceased.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelcurt View Post
I think it has more to do with the respect for those that do choose to worship on sundays. It was probably stemming from that when it was originally created.....and those just chose not to repeal it. It not religions "fault". It's more or a respect thing. Like pulling over as a funeral caravan passes. It's obviously not a law.....BUT I for one wouldn't have a problem with them making it one. It urks me so bad to see people passing cars that pull over in reverance to the deceased.
What about respect for those that don't?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,017,927 times
Quote:
Reminds me of the whole "pull aside for emergency vehicles" things, but I believe that is a law. I always thought it was common sense (but apparently they don't do it in certain states).

South Carolina has a terrible drunk driving fatality record, and the most teenage drinkers of any other state, so it's really no surprise that people will take any chance they can to make it more difficult to get. It seems like once again the masses are punished for the wrongdoings of a minority.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM

9 posts, read 88,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
What about respect for those that don't?
I mean what kind of "respect" are you asking for?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM

293 posts, read 824,199 times
Wow it was some very bad misconceptions about Blue Laws portrayed in this thread....First off the Richland County area of Columbia mechandise stores have opened at 12p for many many years...while it's been 1:30p in the Lexington County area. Liquor stores are closed on Sundays and just recently it's passed for the city of Columbia to sale beer and wine on Sundays in grocery stores and etc. Richland County will vote on it in November and it's probaly going to pass with ease. Alcohol in Richland County and Columbia [city limits] restaurants, bars and clubs have been sold for years. Many Lexington county establishments allow restaurant, bars and clubs to sell alcohol on Sundays also. The Walmart thing isn't in effect for the Columbia/Richland county area...you can purchase anything you want 7days/24hrs from their...not in Lexington County though....groceries--yes...but nothing else.

I find it amazing how many associate Blue Laws as just being a southern thing when it's not even something that was started by southerns. Most reports have it being started in Colonial New England via Connecticut and they spread thru the colonies. It was an attempt to keep moral in check during those times and to respect the Lords day. It was silly things like ...you could by a box of nails on Sunday but you couldn't by a hammer...lol...but most places started scaling them back over the years ... but many still use them to regulate alcohol and mechandise sales. I mean Georgia nor North Carolina are exempt from them....like Savannah stores open around noon on Sundays and no liquor stores are open on sundays either [along with no beer or wine sold in stores]...and this is true in many other parts of GA...same with NC and parts of VA and TN.

Stupid and silly...yeah...but give them time...they'll fade. My thing is....please allow the beverage stores to stay open later than 7pm...it's been many days where i get off at 6:30 and have 30min to rush to the store.....[and no i can't go on my lunch break b/c one isn't close the the job and no i can't go early because i work 12hr shifts]. I believe that if the stores closed at 9pm M thru Th and 11p Fr and Sat then purchasing it on Sunday wouldn't be an issue.....7pm is just too early....and if those owners don't want to stay open later...do like California...sell it in the grocery stores.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I mean what kind of "respect" are you asking for?
Just that laws are the same 24/7/365 without any changes because of the day of the week.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM

221 posts, read 1,029,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
Stupid and silly...yeah...but give them time...they'll fade. My thing is....please allow the beverage stores to stay open later than 7pm...it's been many days where i get off at 6:30 and have 30min to rush to the store.....[and no i can't go on my lunch break b/c one isn't close the the job and no i can't go early because i work 12hr shifts]. I believe that if the stores closed at 9pm M thru Th and 11p Fr and Sat then purchasing it on Sunday wouldn't be an issue.....7pm is just too early....and if those owners don't want to stay open later...do like California...sell it in the grocery stores.
The blue laws limiting alcohol sales by type and certain times are in place as a means to encourage resposible consumption. I guess the law makers in SC think responsible people can get to the liquor store at some point between 8am and 7pm, M-Sat. Yet they allow gas stations to sell individual beer cans/bottles chilled (practically begging folks to drink and drive...).

I understand other states limit the sale of chilled alcoholic beverages, which forces you to at least wait some time for a cooler and ice to get it ready to drink.

Every state has laws that don't exactly make sense. Even if SC does reduce or eliminate the restrictions related to sunday, I doubt they'd do much to change the rest of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina