Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 PM

12 posts, read 85,880 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please explain this Blue Law thing and why it is pertinent to retail stores in the PeeDee region?

In many areas in FL, I remember you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays, thats ok w/ me, I understand that. What kills me is that retail stores don't open nor can sell goods ie: clothing and other non-food items, until after 1:30pm on Sundays! I work 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and it's driving me crazy that I cannot get anything accomplished until this time on Sundays, then have to contend with throngs of after-church mobs. Oh, did I just answer my own question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:15 AM

90 posts, read 443,109 times
That is still one of the 'sensitive' topics here in the state. I had no idea what the "Blue Law" was until I moved here back in '99. The law prohibits anyone from working or conducting business on Sunday before 1:30 p.m. unless the work is charity conducted solely for charitable purposes. It also prohibits anyone from employing others to work on Sunday before 1:30 p.m. A majority of the larger cities are voting to remove the law and have been successful in doing so. Anderson Co (where I live) had voted to remove the blue law before the new year and stores began opening up at 9 or 10 am on Sundays. Once the new council members came in (Jan 07), that was the first thing they voted on and, in the end, voted the blue law back on the books. This is one of those subjects that gets towns divided. You have people who are for it and then there are those who strongly oppose it. I'm originally from Atlanta and, to me, it's funny to see people fight over this subject. I have fun sitting back and watching them go at it!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:28 PM

64 posts, read 289,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catschmidt View Post
That is still one of the 'sensitive' topics here in the state. I had no idea what the "Blue Law" was until I moved here back in '99. The law prohibits anyone from working or conducting business on Sunday before 1:30 p.m. unless the work is charity conducted solely for charitable purposes. It also prohibits anyone from employing others to work on Sunday before 1:30 p.m. A majority of the larger cities are voting to remove the law and have been successful in doing so. Anderson Co (where I live) had voted to remove the blue law before the new year and stores began opening up at 9 or 10 am on Sundays. Once the new council members came in (Jan 07), that was the first thing they voted on and, in the end, voted the blue law back on the books. This is one of those subjects that gets towns divided. You have people who are for it and then there are those who strongly oppose it. I'm originally from Atlanta and, to me, it's funny to see people fight over this subject. I have fun sitting back and watching them go at it!
Is this active in Spartanburg county too?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys1108 View Post
Is this active in Spartanburg county too?
So-so. some items you can buy before that time. no on alcohol via stores/c-stores, but some businesses/restaurants in particular, can.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM

90 posts, read 443,109 times
According to the Spartanburg county site, they got rid of the blue laws in 2003. Not sure on their alcohol sales tho'. I would imagine that you cannot buy in grocery stores and convenience stores. I'm sure restaurants can serve tho'.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM

15 posts, read 85,583 times
If you want a drink in Spartanburg on Sunday you can only get it in a participating bar or resturant within the Spartanburg city limits. No retail sales at grocery or liquor stores. The only other option are gritty "membership" private bars. They are all over SC and one normally just needs to join and pay dues to order a drink....

Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
They don't have blue laws in Charleston, and I don't think they have them in Myrtle Beach. I know they have them in Sumter, and in Columbia. Personally I think they are absurd, and I think (and hope) their days are numbered.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Yeah they have them here in the lexington area,I think they are dumb too.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Historically in Richland county stores could open at 1:00pm on Sundays. In Lexington county it was 1:30pm. Which stinks if you were a retailer or shopper in the Columbiana Center as some of the stores were in Richland and some were in Lexington counties.

Also historically the State would allow liquor sales by restaurants on Sundays. But they had to reapply every week.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,510 times
The Blue Laws vary from county to county. Here in Lancaster County the Super Wal-Mart is open 24 hours a day, but on Sundays only certain items can be purchased before 1:30 pm. The grocery stores are all open before 1:30 pm. There are no alcohol sales anywhere on Sundays.

I don't think the blue laws are going anyway anytime soon in Lancaster. Over Christmas there was vote to do away with them for the holiday season and it barely passed. The blue law was lifted only for Christmas Eve.

People have really strange feelings regarding this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina