U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM

1,913 posts, read 3,767,039 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my home here in Michigan and moving south. I haven't decided on a place to live, but will be taking a road trip next month to figure that out. I will need to be working and on one or two threads here I saw mention of poor job prospects in Aiken and that the jobs are in Augusta.

My question is......... when you live in one state and work in another, don't you have to pay state income tax to both?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,082,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I'm selling my home here in Michigan and moving south. I haven't decided on a place to live, but will be taking a road trip next month to figure that out. I will need to be working and on one or two threads here I saw mention of poor job prospects in Aiken and that the jobs are in Augusta.

My question is......... when you live in one state and work in another, don't you have to pay state income tax to both?

TIA
No, I haven't worked in tax world for a while, but basically from what I remember, you will have GA state tax withheld, then receive a credit on your SC-1040 for taxes withheld in another state, reducing your liability in SC by that amount. Someone from Rock Hill/Ft. Mill area can probably help you w/the specifics as there are plenty of people that live there who work across the state line in Charlotte.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 PM

802 posts, read 2,035,147 times
Default taxes cross state lines

I'm in Charlotte but work with many who live in SC and work in NC., Basically, it was explained to me that everything you pay into North Carolina comes back to you and you endorse the check to South Carolina.

hahaha

Buckeye is correct, you get the credit on your 1040 and at least up here North Carolina taxes are higher than South Carolina so most get a refund from SC.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM

1,913 posts, read 3,767,039 times
Thanks guys!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 AM

463 posts, read 699,855 times
It turns out to be about even, what you owe one state (SC) as to what you get back (Ga). You file in Carolina only (since that is your residence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina