Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:21 AM

12 posts, read 52,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully55 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Savannah Lakes village in McCormack, SC? Any info would be welcome on the area. Has anyone recently located there? How do you like it? I am from MA and would like to relocate, (Tired of the cold and snow). Whats it like in McCormack?

Sully
Hi sully, Are you still interested in info on McCormick and Savannah Lakes. If so, read this thread or write me and I can help. We just visited there in August, 07. Highmichigander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Default SLV relocator

Hi Sully,
My husband & I have just returned from SLV and we did purchase a lot ther. After living in Ma. for 27 years and now Ca. , we are looking forward to a quiet area and low crime for when we get older. It was beautiful and the lake was calm while we were boating. Ca. midlifer
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with Savannah Lakes village in McCormack, SC? Any info would be welcome on the area. Has anyone recently located there? How do you like it? I am from MA and would like to relocate, (Tired of the cold and snow). Whats it like in McCormack?

Sully

Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
There is a Food Lion in McCormick that you can do most of your grocery shopping at. If you're looking for things like Lowe's, Best Buy, fast food, etc. you'll have to drive to Greenwood (20 minutes) or Augusta (45 minutes). Same applies to medical care. The only kids I have seen there are ones visiting their grandparents. I made my first trip there back in 1996 and it really hasn't changed all that much. Sure there are more houses and people living there, but the shopping situation has not changed.

The boat traffic on Lake Thurmond depends on the time of year. It was very busy (by Lake Thurmond standards) over Memorial Day weekend. There is a large fireworks display around the 4th of July and there is quite a bit of traffic then as well. I was out there this past weekend and it was very quiet. Keep in mind that compared to just about any lake in Michigan, Lake Thurmond is pretty quiet. I don't think it's difficult to get tee times for golf, but you do need to plan ahead a few days in advance, especially for the weekends. The 2 SLV golf courses have group golf functions on a weekly basis for both men and women. My parents play a lot of golf and my dad works in the cart barn at Tara. It has been hot here the last couple of weeks. Over the past 2 weeks, several record high temps were recorded. Typically it's going to be in the 90's during the summer the some 100+ degree days. Breezy days are fairly uncommon, especially in the summer. Did you notice how many people have ceiling fans on their porches?

If you like to golf, fish, boat, etc. in a quiet, fairly close knit community, then I think it's a great place to live/retire. I love it there and my wife and I spend as much time as we can out on the lake during the summer.
HI! I am having issues with using this message site! Sorry! (Technologically inept). ...Anyways, Just bought a piece of property in Savannah Lakes. Excited 80% of the time and scared 20% of the time. I am going to build my retirement home.I am 51 and have lived in NH for the last 22 years. Kids are finishing college, Animals are dying off, hate winter, getting tired of employment (teaching), have potential for private work, LOVED the hospitality in the south this past summer, aunt lived there for 40 years. It's very private, which I want. Is there enough in an hours commute to satisfy culturally? I come from a college town in NH with everything in 5 minutes. I scouted the area out, and travel the same time where I live now, but have a college (Dartmouth) which supplies an environment not found in MCCormick. NOt sure I will really miss it, but am a little scared. Any thoughts?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM

168 posts, read 692,952 times
Greenville and Columbia are each about a 1 1/2 hour drive from SLV. Maybe Clemson is closer, not sure though. Greenwood is about 20 minutes away, but not sure what it has to offer culturally. Augusta is about 45 minutes, not sure what's there either. Newberry and Abbeville are both a bit closer. Each has an opera house that may have something you're interested in. Newberry also has a small college. Both are very small southern towns. See Newberry Opera House here: Newberry Opera House and Abbeville Opera House here: Abbeville Opera House

I live just outside of Columbia in Lexington. My parents live in SLV. My wife and I drive out to SLV on a regular basis. Yes it's a 1 1/2 hour drive, but it's generally a quiet, relaxing drive.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Quote:

Sully
I am from MASS, too. I have afriend who has recently moved to savannah lakes he is happy down there. I have been there and enjoyed the time. Savannah Lakes Vill. does offer defferent things to keep you busy I have purchased land in the vill. myself and plan on moving there when I retire in a few years. THERE is a VILL news papper that I recieve if you leave away to contact you Icould send you a couple of copies.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM

239 posts, read 699,383 times
i live near mccormick and i have a really good crappie spot about 5 mins away from slv if you want to catch a mess of fish....

Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,255,286 times
This post is four years old. That person has probably moved to SC and returned to MA by now.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,225,846 times
anyone know the price to live there (HOAs specifically).....looks like the housing prices are dropping - is there a mass exodus from Savanah Lakes? Developer problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina