Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:58 PM

283 posts, read 900,115 times

Advertisements

I moved here almost 2 years ago, and feel it is a very conservative area. Heavily Republican, very religion-oriented, very insular and small-town. There are 2 wally's but you can't buy anything other than groceries before 1:30 pm on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 37,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
There aren't many neo-Liberal small towns in South Carolina or Georgia. But then again, what exactly would be small to you? (under 20,000?). Columbia would be a close match, but most of the "Liberal" population is college age.

Asheville has a slightly higher median age, and would better suit your needs. It is somewhat more expensive than the other places you mentioned, but still for a Liberal town, Asheville is quite inexpensive.

Here in the South, much of our industry is modern, concealed and barley noticeable. It shouldn't be a big concern like it would be in the Northern portion of the country.
thanks for the response. I guess a small city for me would be around 40,000. I was hoping for a city between 40,000 to approx. 200,000. closer to the 100,000 marker though...

Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I moved here almost 2 years ago, and feel it is a very conservative area. Heavily Republican, very religion-oriented, very insular and small-town. There are 2 wally's but you can't buy anything other than groceries before 1:30 pm on Sundays.
Depends on who you know and where you go ....get out much? i know as many libs as cons and you'll see just as many Mcsame yard signs as Obama.Depends on the area i guess.I think there is a nice mix here in Aiken.But i think heavily Republican is stretching it a bit.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Depends on who you know and where you go ....get out much? i know as many libs as cons and you'll see just as many Mcsame yard signs as Obama.Depends on the area i guess.I think there is a nice mix here in Aiken.But i think heavily Republican is stretching it a bit.
If anything I've seen more Ron Paul signs in yards more than Hussein or McSame. But that doesn't really have any bearing on political orientation, especially with all the mixes and crossovers this time around...

According to 2004 and 2006 election maps, Aiken county is as red as they get, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% Republican (South Carolina has a large Conservative Libertarian crowd more than anything...).

Aiken county migration data shows that most residents moved from Columbia and Richland counties in Georgia, as well as Edgefield and McCormick counties in SC. Based on that, I see no immediate reason for Aiken or Aiken County to be Liberal aside from the proximity to USC. New York, California, and New Jersey migrations are steadily growing, but it has not yet affected the political aspect of the county.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,025 times
Asheville NC. We spent a few days there last year, reminds me very much of Vermont - similar leaning politics, mountains, bohemian atmosphere.

For me, that is exactly what I wanted to leave behind in VT, so that is why I chose Greenville SC.

Definitely check out Asheville NC, it's just like VT but without the 7 month winters.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 PM

283 posts, read 900,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
yeah, I get out a lot. I stand by the heavily Republican remark. Case in point - in the latest state/local primary season, there were no Democrats to vote for in my precinct. My favorite political sign is on Whiskey Rd - says "no incumbents".

Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 37,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
Asheville NC. We spent a few days there last year, reminds me very much of Vermont - similar leaning politics, mountains, bohemian atmosphere.

For me, that is exactly what I wanted to leave behind in VT, so that is why I chose Greenville SC.

Definitely check out Asheville NC, it's just like VT but without the 7 month winters.

Good luck.
So, if you don't mind me picking your brain more....

What do you see as the differences betwen Asheville and Greenville?

As much as I would love to live in a liberal oasis surrounded by mountains, I do have a couple of concerns. First, there doesn't seem to be any large body of water near Asheville, or at least none that I could see from the mapquest map. Boating is pretty important to me and so am hoping to be no more than 40 mins. (tops) from a large body of water (i.e., lake). My second concern is employment. It wouldn't be in a sort of typical service oriented position, but rather in the mental health field and/or higher ed. My concern is that Asheville will have limited opportunities in those areas as a result of it being a fairly small city, as currently where I am, the opportunities are limited due to that very factor.

So, is Greenville liberal, and just doesn't have the Bohemian vibe or is it more conservative? From what I have gathered on this forum and others, S. Carolina in general tends to be more conservative than N. Carolina. Is this the case?

Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal chic View Post

As much as I would love to live in a liberal oasis surrounded by mountains, I do have a couple of concerns. First, there doesn't seem to be any large body of water near Asheville, or at least none that I could see from the mapquest map. Boating is pretty important to me and so am hoping to be no more than 40 mins. (tops) from a large body of water (i.e., lake). My second concern is employment. It wouldn't be in a sort of typical service oriented position, but rather in the mental health field and/or higher ed. My concern is that Asheville will have limited opportunities in those areas as a result of it being a fairly small city, as currently where I am, the opportunities are limited due to that very factor.

So, is Greenville liberal, and just doesn't have the Bohemian vibe or is it more conservative? From what I have gathered on this forum and others, S. Carolina in general tends to be more conservative than N. Carolina. Is this the case?

Thanks again!
Gman over in the Greenville forum could help you a lot.and lake Lure is right near Asheville..http://www.lake-lure.com/

Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal chic View Post

Thanks again!
You are close on each of your guesses. I would definitely recommend Asheville first in your case (small, very liberal city), but if you are unable to find employment there, Greenville will certainly be a better option in that regard. Greenville is definitely more conservative, but has a surprisingly decent and growing bohemian vibe, mostly in and around downtown. There are lots of liberals living in the Greenville metro area, but obviously they are outnumbered by the conservatives. Greenville wins hands down regarding nearby large lakes, with Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocasee each within a short drive from the city.

My recommendation is to visit (in person) Asheville, Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, and Chattanooga before making your decision. Spend a bit of time in each city to get a feel for life there. In the end, you will be glad that you invested in experiential knowledge in addition to your acquired information from online sources.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
When you find this place let me know. Quite frankly Im not sure it even exists. I hope you find your place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina