U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 AM

217 posts, read 556,703 times
Default HOA question

I have been looking at houses in the Fort Mill area and alot of the listings state the HOA payment (example: dues = 400). Is that monthly or yearly??

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,292,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp
I have been looking at houses in the Fort Mill area and alot of the listings state the HOA payment (example: dues = 400). Is that monthly or yearly??

Thanks!
Most HOA's are due annually (yearly). With an HOA like that it has to be yearly, or if it isn't "they better give you something" Even if not, that's high. About $100-150 is an average.

I hate HOA's and will not buy into one at all I don't care if it's the cleanest, crime free, secure, etc. I had a friend that owned a condo. and paid annual dues. One year they came along and said we need to do this, and this, and this, and each homeowner had to put up $80,000 each. They can be a disaster. I do not want anyone telling me a can't put out an American flag or paint my house the color I want. I'm sure there are others that will say the're great, but for me no way.

Mark

Old 06-08-2006, 01:09 PM

2,472 posts, read 5,679,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp

Thanks!

in most cases that I have seen in Fort Mill...that would be an annual charge.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 PM

32 posts, read 86,834 times
I have seen subdivisions (single family homes) listed with HOA fees of $300 annually, which I'm assuming goes towards pool fees and maybe community functions. I've heard of condo communities charging more money for upgrades on roofing or new windows, etc. But can subdivisions due that too? I'm not sure what they would need the money for but maybe to spruce up their pool or playground. Has anyone ever heard of them charging more?

Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 PM

195 posts, read 1,426 times
I have heard of $450 a yr

Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 PM

19 posts, read 76,453 times
Do you know of any areas that are not in an HOA?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,391,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1206 View Post
I have seen subdivisions (single family homes) listed with HOA fees of $300 annually, which I'm assuming goes towards pool fees and maybe community functions. I've heard of condo communities charging more money for upgrades on roofing or new windows, etc. But can subdivisions due that too? I'm not sure what they would need the money for but maybe to spruce up their pool or playground. Has anyone ever heard of them charging more?

The reason Condo complexes can charge for roofs, etc., is that they are shared property. The exterior maintenance is done by the HOA. In single family subdivisions each homeowner is responsible for the maintenance of their own property.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 AM

41 posts, read 73,412 times
Tega Cay does not have HOA fees. I live in LAkeshore and i enjoy those extra bucks :-)

Old 03-27-2007, 07:53 AM

759 posts, read 1,074,954 times
We pay $400/year in dues and for that we get pool access, landscaping of the public areas, and clubhouse events throughout the year (for instance, there is an Easter Egg hunt coming up in the next week or so with live animals (pony rides), games and food). Our HOA rules are minimal and we are not told what kind of mailbox/landscaping/colors to have. They only state that if we do CONSTRUCTION we have to seek approval if it's on the front of the house. Anything in back they don't care about.

So I don't mind paying the $400 per year, knowing that my family and I will be using that pool EVERY DAY when it's open, and that we've attended every party/function they've given since we moved in.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM

289 posts, read 1,039,237 times
Yes, if you have a pool, its worth it not to have to maintain it like you would a personal pool. That comes out to about 30.00/month I dont think you can own your own pool for that if you consider the time, etc. you take to maintain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina