U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 AM

38 posts, read 160,036 times

Advertisements

How bad are the bugs??????????????
I hear the ants are bad, plus all insect that can fly too.
Are there things I need to know when I move to the Charleston area?
What to do for all of mother nature insects? If anyone has some old wife tails for me. That I could use, please let me know.
waiting for some letters
dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 AM

7,140 posts, read 12,315,842 times
There will be plenty of bugs.

According to some scientists, fire ants don't like tall grass, so don't mow your lawn. Corn grits don't kill ants so don't waste your time.

Big "wolf" spiders will kill cockroaches. So don't kill spiders.

Bats and house martins will eat mosquitos. Buy a bat house and install it. Buy and install a bird house too.

Empty all standing water on a daily basis.

Sprinkle a fine dust of borax powder in the back of your cabinet beneath the sink to reduce the number of cockroaches.

Even if you hire an exterminator to spray on a regular basis, you will still have bugs, so don't waste your money.

Termites might be the biggest problem if you are a homeowner. Keep your termite bond current.

No-see-ums or sandgnats don't like the smell of skin-so-soft, which you can buy from Avon. You can also wear long sleeves and a hat when they are bad.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM

38 posts, read 160,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

According to some scientists, fire ants don't like tall grass, so don't mow your lawn. Corn grits don't kill ants so don't waste your time.

Bats and house martins will eat mosquitos. Buy a bat house and install it. Buy and install a bird house too.

Empty all standing water on a daily basis.

Sprinkle a fine dust of borax powder in the back of your cabinet beneath the sink to reduce the number of cockroaches.

Even if you hire an exterminator to spray on a regular basis, you will still have bugs, so don't waste your money.

Termites might be the biggest problem if you are a homeowner. Keep your termite bond current.

No-see-ums or sandgnats don't like the smell of skin-so-soft, which you can buy from Avon. You can also wear long sleeves and a hat when they are bad.

Thank you so much, you have given me so much to think about.
Yes I have heard about some of your suggestion. Each state is so different with each little insect or little small animal. I have never had to deal with some of your insect that live in this area and I want to be ready for all of them and a little help goes a long way. My Mother is living right now in St. Stephen and learning it is so different from WV. So I will be sure to pass your info along to her too. It is learning what people do in the area that they live at. I have never lived at the Coast, so it is new to me.
If you have anymore idea for me and my family, I sure would love to hear from you again.
thank you
dee

Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 PM

1,560 posts, read 5,111,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Amen to that!

Quote:
I found that cats work well too, plus they're friendlier than spiders.

Quote:
Let's differentiate things just a bit. Exterminators will help keep household roaches, and other bugs to a minimum. They will not keep out all of the palmetto bugs, keep a cat for the strays.

Other than that, Ellie's right on.

Last edited by GoPadge; 02-20-2007 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: spellcheck...

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 AM

7,140 posts, read 12,315,842 times
I don't have any other kind of bugs in the house except the random palmetto. Over the years I have known people who use an exterminator and others who don't. No difference in how many bugs in the house - usually few or none.

Now if you don't wash your dishes and clean your counters after you eat, you will definitely attract more palmetto bugs and other critters. Keeping a clean house really does reduce bugs.

Window screens and screen doors will keep out flies and mosquitos. I like to get a little fresh air in the house in spring and fall.

I don't like my cat to eat palmetto bugs because they may have picked up toxins in other locations. Sometimes the cat will throw up a dead bug - how pleasant is that to clean up?

The worst problem I've had is fleas. They are terrible in the south. If you can afford to buy the expensive flea meds from the vet, do so. The cheap stuff from Walmart doesn't work. Prevention goes a long way. Once you get a bad infestation of fleas, you may have to call the exterminator. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to have a coating of insecticide around my baseboards, I like to go barefoot sometimes.

Last edited by ellie; 02-21-2007 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina