Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,061 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a move to SC in January. We will be staying with some family for a couple months until we figure out where we will be living. We want to check out Charlotte, NC but we are open to pretty much anything in SC. All we really want is somewhere there are a lot of young people (we are 22 and 24), good night life, water (lake or ocean whatever), cheaper rent, and some culture. I also want a job in sales so somewhere where I could find a job doing that. We would love to either live in a downtown area or right by the water. If you could give us some suggestions of cities that are a match for us that would be great! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeSouthern View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning a move to SC in January. We will be staying with some family for a couple months until we figure out where we will be living. We want to check out Charlotte, NC but we are open to pretty much anything in SC. All we really want is somewhere there are a lot of young people (we are 22 and 24), good night life, water (lake or ocean whatever), cheaper rent, and some culture. I also want a job in sales so somewhere where I could find a job doing that. We would love to either live in a downtown area or right by the water. If you could give us some suggestions of cities that are a match for us that would be great! Thanks in advance
While Charleston would fit what your looking for in young people, good night life and close to water (plenty of beaches), you will have a tough time finding cheap rent depending on your definition of that.

Columbia might be a little better fit being that we typically have cheaper housing costs. We have 3 rivers that converge near downtown - a lot of people go rafting/kayaking on the rivers. We also have Lake Murray which is a very large lake that is about 10-15 minutes west of the city. There are plenty of young people w/the Univ. of South Carolina in town, and a lot of nightlife opportunities in the Vista & at 5 Points as well as in other areas throughout the metro.

As far as sales jobs go, you'd probably have the easiest time (not sure anything is easy to find in the current economy) in the upstate as there are a lot of national & worldwide companies that have locations in the Greenville area such as Michelin, BMW, IBM & Microsoft to name a few. Can't really help you much though on that not really being familiar w/those type of jobs; I think a good salesperson though will always be able to find a job regardless of where they move too.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Charleston seems to fit what you're looking for best, but you'd have to choose between cheaper rent and living downtown because it's hard for both to be had--unless you're willing to make a significant sacrifice in terms of quality of housing or something like that.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM

173 posts, read 680,820 times
Charleston is one of the better areas of SC and fits your choice the best for everything you're looking for. It's the only place in South Carolina that I can truly say has a "Charm" to it. I guess because of the fact that it's more sophisticated. Honestly, it sorta looks and feels like a south Florida city, but alot more historic and "Southern", and minus any meditteranian theme. I would go as far as saying that it's a S. Carolina version of Boca Raton or Naples. It's expensive to live there for what you are looking for though.

Avoid North Charleston because it's VERY seedy there. Don't know if crime is actually bad though but just driving through it alone makes you cautious.

Your second best choice from what you are describing, is Myrtle Beach. It is a very happening place with LOTS to do (Esp. If you're the ecclectic or eccentric type), but alot of areas near the oceanfront are very seedy and crime is somewhat bad, although crime is alot worse in the nearby cities of Georgetown and Conway (Guarantee you that on Channel 13 news you will see those 2 cities almost, if not every weekday).

I would steer clear from the northern inland part of eastern S. Carolina, as it is very rural, poor, run-down, and little-to-nothing to offer anyone until you go further south to and past Florence.

Pretty much all of the state (Even from what I heard about the western half, never been there) has the typical "historic south" and rustic type look. I don't know if that is your thing or not, but if that bothers you then don't move here at all because it is very prominent.

The lower part of N. Carolina is pretty rural and old looking too. Not much to offer unless you go up further north in the state. Not sure what's east or west as I haven't been there in years.

Last edited by rickyd; 10-31-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeSouthern View Post
You probably won't get everything you're looking for.

Charleston, Savannah (GA) and Wilmington (NC) are coastal cities, with historic, cultural downtowns, and plenty of people in their 20's and 30's. Rents aren't cheap, though, and you'll see competition on the job front.

Myrtle Beach has good nightlife (some people seem to like it. personally, I think its lame), but it has no "downtown" to speak of.

Greenville, Columbia, and Charlotte are generally cut from the same mold, although Charlotte is much larger. Reasonably cheap, reasonably good job market, reasonably good night life, nice downtowns. There are lakes in those areas, but in all likelihood you won't be near water.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 17,656 times
Go for NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina