U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 35,846 times

Advertisements

Hi-OK, Should we expect to see cockroaches as part of the scenery in our home if we are in an area like Summerville or Goose Creek or Mt. Pleasant?
Here on Long Island, you only get them in your home under certain conditions...but are they just "native" to these areas of SC? I can't stand those little buggers. It might sound silly to some, but I couldn't live with cockroaches--had a bad experience once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM

556 posts, read 1,499,953 times
I lived in South Carolina for almost 30 years, and in my experience, the only folks who have cockroaches are the folks who do not keep a really clean house. I certainly never had any. Hope that calms your fears a bit. :-)

Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,757,843 times
Can't say about SC, but in South Florida, normal to see one once in a while in even the cleanest house - unless you have a lawn treatment service.
I had a small problem here after hurricane season 2004-5 and again when I dug up the soil next to my house to plant a garden (several varieties of ants, too). Ack.

They live in the ground - well, under and in things that keep them hidden - pull up a rotting log or concrete flagstone...

Disruptions make all kinds of critters prefer your house. The more foliage you have around the house will effect what lives nearby. Keeping things as clean as you can will help...but you are fighting nature.

If it helps - I didn't see any roaches while I was there in Greenville...just an extraordinary amount of Yellow Jackets.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 PM

1,560 posts, read 5,109,831 times
As with another recent post I made, let's differentiate between household pest roaches, such as the German cockroach, which can be kept at bay with a clean house; and the American cockroach, aka the Palmetto Bug, which will wander into the cleanest homes. The German roach is an indicator of a dirty home, or dirty neighbors (especially in apartments.) The Palmetto Bug is a whole lot bigger, but is for the most part just visiting. The bad thing about palmetto bugs is their inclination to fly....

Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,801,689 times
In 14 months I have seen one Palmetto Bug, and it was taking a tour of the garage. When I lived in FL there were sightings almost daily, mostly outdoors.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,267,461 times
We are moving down next month from NJ - does it pay to have someone come in and spray every couple of months?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM

Not if you're a good housekeeper moving to SC. Sounds like Florida might be a different story; I can't speak to that.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM

113 posts, read 324,866 times
Since we are on the subject of unwanted critters. What snakes are prevalent in the Greenville area? I know in NJ the garter snake is quite common & non-poisonous. Realy not to fond of ANY snake.

Dan

Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM

83 posts, read 272,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
I lived in South Carolina for almost 30 years, and in my experience, the only folks who have cockroaches are the folks who do not keep a really clean house. I certainly never had any. Hope that calms your fears a bit. :-)
Where in SC? In the Low Country, "Palmetto Bugs" are ubiquitous. You'll see them on the street -- they can live indoors or out. While cleanliness will cut down the frequency of their appearance, you're still likely to see them inside, particularly if you live in an older house with cracks through which they might gain access.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaiken View Post
Where in SC? In the Low Country, "Palmetto Bugs" are ubiquitous. You'll see them on the street -- they can live indoors or out. While cleanliness will cut down the frequency of their appearance, you're still likely to see them inside, particularly if you live in an older house with cracks through which they might gain access.
I lived in the upstate area, so that probably accounts for my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina