U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 28,197 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We are from Long Island, New York and want to move to Lake Hartwell and live on a houseboat full time. Please let me know if you or any one you know has any information regarding this. What is it like living there in the winter, etc. My husband and I will both be working, although my husband works from home, he has a web design and development company. If you know of any better lakes, we are open to suggestions. We are going to the Houseboat Expo next weekend in Louisville in hopes of getting better educated on this and speaking to people who live this life and look for houseboats as well. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 02:46 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,125,412 times
Hey, good for you guys. I am very jealous, my wife would never go for that! I was lucky that I was able to talk het into moving from NY at all. Sorry, I can't help on the Lake Hartwell situaution though, never been there.

Good luck and congrats.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM

286 posts, read 1,009,067 times
Have you visited Hartwell? Do you have experience living on a houseboat?

Why not try renting a houseboat on Hartwell for a month and get a feel for it?

Of the Upstate Lakes, Hartwell is the least scenic and most populated. During the warmer months you'll be hardpressed to find a spot that you aren't being nagged by personal watercraft.

I don't know if you're allowed to live on Keowee, but it is an adjoining lake to Hartwell that is much prettier and less crowded (more respectful crowd too).

Not trying to rain on the idea, just think it's worthy of serious inquiry before making the commitment.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 PM

2,357 posts, read 374,102 times
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16522561.htm

Just FYI, they are considering new legistlation involving houseboats.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,492,711 times
Living on a houseboat would be interesting, especially if you could use all the inland waterways to travel with it, but being stuck on just 1 lake it wouldn't take long & it would get old, i think after the new wore off then you would want an actual house.

what would worry me with one would be lightning also.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 28,197 times
Thanks all for your replies. After serious consideration and visits to Hartwell, we have decided to live on land and just get a boat for pleasure. We love Anderson and the surrounding areas. We just need to narrow down which area we like the best. My husband works from home but I will probably be commuting to Greenville. Anyy suggestions on which areas are better would be helpful. We are going back down around Easter. Put our house up here on the market and as soon as we sell, we will be down.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 13,646 times
We currently live on Lake Hartwell. Between the Memorial Day and Labor Day the lake is a little busier than the rest of the year, but it is by no means "nagged by personal watercraft." And the marinas are of course wake-free zones. During the week the lake is very quiet, and the increased traffic on the weekends is not enough to possibly be a deal breaker. We were just out on the water yesterday and spotted a total of two PWCs who kept their distance.

There are three days where the traffic is really high. Predictably they are Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor day. This is what you would expect on most lakes.

I agree that Keowee is a very scenic lake, but also smaller and remains cold for most of the year. Both lakes are scenic and wonderful to visit.

Waking up and seeing the mist wafting across the smooth lake on spring mornings, the friendly and professional people we have met, and we can find anything from rafting on Tugaloo to seeing great live productions at the Peace Center in nearby Greenville.

I know you chose not to live on the lake, but I wanted to toss my 2 cents in for anyone else tripping across this thread in the future (like I did).

Since you are moving to the area but staying on land the Powdersville area is a great spot between Anderson and Greenville.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 13,317 times
I have lived on a houseboat at Lake Lanier, GA for several years. It is beautiful and relaxing. I get up every morning to the peaceful waters and drive in to work. Can't wait for evening to get home to the boat. Presently I have a 2008 85' x 18' houseboat on Lanier that I am selling because I am moving. It is a 5 BR 2 BA with a glass enclosed front deck area. Perfect live aboard. I will move it anywhere within a 250 mi radius for buyer. Asking $399 but of course this is negotiable.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 13,195 times
Thumbs up houseboat/land living

I have a houseboat on Hartwell , lake life is wonderfull. I see you have decided to stay on land . I have several homes for sale ,I am a builder here
in the upstate . Let me know if I can help.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,311 times
I am looking for opportunities to move back onto a houseboat. I tried livaboard in St. Paul MN but it got too complicated in the winter, sold the boat and moved back on land. I am looking to relocate to Anderson and would like information on marinas on Hartwell. Would appreciated any insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina