Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in moving to South Carolina. We both have wanted to move in that direction, he is from indiana,I am from pa. I am not bashing my state or anything. I love alot of the things here but I really wanna move closer to the beach,(my grandmom had a house on the beach where I spent my summers for 19 years)The beach calls me literally!I need to be near it. we prefer the hot weather,he works in 90 degree wheather in rubber gloves and sleeves so we aren't worried. people are friendly south, it's not rush rush rush etc. So we have two very small children and are looking for somewhere that has good schools,but affordable single houses from $100,000-150,000 if that's possible.I would be okay with a 30 min drive to the beach. My husband is a lineman so we would have to move near a utility company. our town here you can walk around shop, eat lunch, go to the bank,gym everything is close but mostly everyone drives,and the school is terrible!I don't mind the snow but with the kids being so small it makes me feel trapped in the house. our houses here are old and beautiful ours is 110 years old, but I really wanna wake up look out my window and say god this is beautiful and not see my neighbors brickwall or 4 langry large dogs fenced in a very small yard!I have lived here for 5 years and don't know any of my neighbors! Property taxes are crazy,50 bucks shy of my monthly mortgage payment! We want a bigger yard,a town that still has doctors,banks,grocery stores etc close,not like indiana where he is from where the houses are smack in the middle of fields but nothing else unless you take the highway to the city.I like taking the kids out in the stroller on the sidewalks. but I have read alot of these blogs where people have said some places just don't like outsiders but I don't know If I believe that.It is getting more city here every year, You can't smile and say hi to anyone unless you know them and no one ever makes eye contact.I hate that dont get me wrong I love the people we know,but getting to know people is hard even finding a babysitter is hard if there isn't family around. That's not for us. We are both warm and friendly and come from big families where everyone is invited and our friends are like family.I feels like it is dragging us down,I spent 2 weeks in colorado come home and almost forgot where I lived well until I got into the car, lets rush to the next red light! that makes no sense what is the rush!why is everyone rushing through life instead of living it? We just think that although I'll miss my family here there are lots of other people in the world and new friends to be made and we just want a slower pace. I don't wear a watch! so if you all think this would be a good place let us know we aren't partial to anywhere we are always home with each other. Your input is appreciated thanks for reading my novel here I just didn't know how to explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Conway and Moncks Corner come to mind. Maybe Georgetown as well. I think you'll find what you are looking for in those towns. They are all slow-paced towns, near the coast, where land is fairly cheap. For $150K you can get a house, with a yard in a decent neighborhood. Nothing huge and nothing fancy, though. If you move out to a rural area you may be able to get a few acres, I don't know.

I've never been to Indiana, but at my old job, I used to look at Aerial photos of Indiana a lot. It's funny to see huge corn and soybean fields, with a few houses scattered about. It really is different from here. We still have tons of forests and swamps, whereas Indiana has all been converted into farmland/urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina