Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2006, 04:35 AM
KMT KMT started this thread

80 posts, read 355,538 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to South Carolina from Florida. We are looking to hear from anyone who homeschools in SC who can offer some insight about the state law. I've read the statute but am looking for comments on how it is applied.

Also, any comments about the Oconee/Pickens County areas would be appreciated.

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 134,393 times
Default SC Homeschooling

Hi! Our family homeschools. We decided that rather than going through the district that it was easier to go through an organization. We use the South Carolina Association of Independent Homeschools (www.scaihs.org) (broken link). We report to them and not to the district. It really helps us helps us cover our end of the responsibility. If we went through the district, we would have to meet daily time requirements and other things that are not required of us with the association.

Sorry I cannot offer any info about Oconee/ Pickens except that I know much of Pickens is in a country setting.

If you need any more info, I would be glad to help if I can

Alicia

Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker
Hi! Our family homeschools. We decided that rather than going through the district that it was easier to go through an organization. We use the South Carolina Association of Independent Homeschools (www.scaihs.org) (broken link). We report to them and not to the district. It really helps us helps us cover our end of the responsibility. If we went through the district, we would have to meet daily time requirements and other things that are not required of us with the association.

Sorry I cannot offer any info about Oconee/ Pickens except that I know much of Pickens is in a country setting.

If you need any more info, I would be glad to help if I can

Alicia
Thanks Alicia!

I understand you have to be affiliated with an association by law (3rd option right?). Is that who you submit reports and evidence of attendance and instruction to?

Keith

Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 AM

Default Homeschool Option 3

Yes, according to option 3, we chose to be affiliated with an organization. We did this becasue we did not want to deal with the district (since I was a teacher there and resigned from that district). If you want to go through the local school district you can, but the requirements are a little more strict. We submit our reports and attendance to the association.

Thanks,
Alicia

Old 06-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker
Yes, according to option 3, we chose to be affiliated with an organization. We did this becasue we did not want to deal with the district (since I was a teacher there and resigned from that district). If you want to go through the local school district you can, but the requirements are a little more strict. We submit our reports and attendance to the association.

Thanks,
Alicia
Alicia,

We do not want to be affiliated with any district. All we do in Florida is notify the Superintendant of schools of our intent to homeschool, maintain a portfolio and have a certified teacher evaluate us at the end of the year. South Carolina (3rd option)does not sound too far off from that.

Keith

Old 06-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Good luck if you decide to head this way!

Well, it sounds like you have your facts in order. If you decide to come this way, I wish you the best of luck! I will be glad to help you in any way I can if you do. You may e-mail me if you need anything :-)

Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Thanks again

Alicia,

Thanks again for your help. Starting our homeschool experience four years ago was scary enough. Relocating to a new state with different laws is scary too! From what you've said and from what I have heard from other sources (mod cut), we should be fine.

Keith

Last edited by Yac; 06-18-2006 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina