Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

SC has a subtropical climate, modified by elevation in the piedmont and narrow mountain strip. Summer (vs winter in the North) is the "mean" season. The afternoon t'storms of summer seem to be a source of frustration and consternation to many who grew-up in a Continental climate.
well the coldest days down here are the warmest days up here minus the 3 feet of snow to shovel. it will be a nice change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
we will be down around the sumter area. we currently live in upstate ny so we might not need to buy anything. but dw wanted to find out what everyone wears down there so she doesn't feel like an eskimo in the tropics , if you know what i mean.
I live in Sumter and am from Ohio. When I moved here 4+ years ago I pitched all my coats when packing up because, as someone said, I figured the winters would be mild. I did have to pick up a light-medium weight jacket for the really cold days, most most times I'm fine with a sweatshirt/sweater or t-shirt & flannel over-shirt.

I think you'd be better off just dressing in layers because it tends to warm up by mid-morning. If you're wearing a jacket and take it off then you may find it a bit too chilly for just a t-shirt. But if you're wearing like a long-sleeve t-shirt, a button-up over-shirt (I call them that because I buy them too large to wear as regular shirts, so that they're big enough to fit over what I'm really wearing) and a light jacket then you can remove and add as needed.

The *cold* days are few and far between. Folks will say it's cold, but to me most mornings it's just chilly (and usually warms up to just cool).

*Edit - Oh, and winter boots are not necessary. No snow/slush to stomp around in.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:04 AM

thanks for all your help. it will come in handy when we move down in the next month. can't wait since we got almost a foot of snow yesterday and right now it's -8 degrees out. BBBRRRRR

Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
You will find that the winter season is mixed. Some days it will get up in the upper 60's to low 70's and then drop in the 20's at night.

I mostly wear a hoodie or light jacket.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Yeah. Today it's 48 (nice!) and I was fine in my Buckeyes long-sleeve t-shirt with fleece vest. Wednesday it's supposed to be 78...

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Yeah, I just went for a jog over lunch, wore my Cavaliers hoodie - whom are a nice 17-3 I might add - and by about half-way through, I was hot and sweating....one thing you'll find in moving here (or at least I have having come from Ohio as well) is that the temperature rises much more rapidly through the day than it typically did in Ohio - I think b/c it's so much sunnier . Like it will be 30 when driving to work around 8, but by noon or 1 PM it can be up to 60. As Ceezer noted, you're best bet is wearing like removable layers for that reason.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
we will be down around the sumter area. we currently live in upstate ny so we might not need to buy anything. but dw wanted to find out what everyone wears down there so she doesn't feel like an eskimo in the tropics , if you know what i mean.
Definitely leave the down filled coats up north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts.
You will see lots of people dressed like this all year long.

I throw a sweater on in the morning over my tshirt and I'm fine.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 AM

that's great. we'er looking forward to moving down there.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
FTR weather isn't the only factor to consider when pondering a move to SC. Just because you liked SC when you were vactioning here doesn't mean that you'll fit in or like SC year 'round. It's the kind of place that you have to accept warts and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina