Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,970,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Some time ago in the Charleston area..did an unicorporated area sue the City of Charleston to keep it off of one of the islands? I can not remember which one..
Has happened numerous times:

St. Andrews PSD.

James Island.

Main event was circa 1983 when it looked like Johns Island would incorporate, so the SOB's used their clout in Columbia to get a law passed forbidding any new incorporations of municipalities within 20 miles of the Atlantic Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 PM

8,141 posts, read 13,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Has happened numerous times:

St. Andrews PSD.

James Island.

Main event was circa 1983 when it looked like Johns Island would incorporate, so the SOB's used their clout in Columbia to get a law passed forbidding any new incorporations of municipalities within 20 miles of the Atlantic Ocean.
I guess thats not totally surprising.. I believe that if an unincorporated area that wants to incorporate is within five miles of an existing town or city... it has to seek permission of that neighboring jurisdiction. That was the case when an area just north of Irmo sought to incorporate.. they had to get Irmo's permission. They got it, but I think the incorporation still failed.. though one would wonder if the process was sabatoged by the neighboring town. Not saying that it was but, if I were Irmo.. I would not want potential commercial and residential dollars that may be available for annexation siphoned into a new town. It also could be future competition for tax base. I would be curious to know what new towns, if any, have been incorporated in SC in the past ten years??? I can't believe it has been many...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM

8,141 posts, read 13,198,297 times
............in fact I think more towns of become "un" incorporated over the years than incorporated. These being mainly towns with lower or declining tax bases that have decided to turn over their affairs to the County.. Lynchburg at one time was considering becoming unincorporated as was Mayesville. Some in Mayesville fought and succeeded in remaining a town. Not sure about Lynchburg. Drive up an down any SC rural road and you will see signs for communities.. some of which may have actually have been towns, that do not formally exist. Interesting enough, I see the word "town" and "city" used interchangably. At one time I thought that a community had to have over a certain amount of people to be considered a "city"... believe it was around 10,000. Dont know if that is still the case now or if it just depend on simply what you incorporated as.. Mt Pleasant.. has over 40,000 people but is the Town of Mt. Pleasant.. as is Irmo which is over 10,000. Forest Acres , also over 10,000 is identifies itself as a the City of Forest Acres. Maybe now its more of a marketing thing?? "town of" may make a community seem more rural inviting uncomplicated.. but "City of" makes the community feel more urban or sophisticated???

Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,488,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
............in fact I think more towns of become "un" incorporated over the years than incorporated. These being mainly towns with lower or declining tax bases that have decided to turn over their affairs to the County.. Lynchburg at one time was considering becoming unincorporated as was Mayesville. Some in Mayesville fought and succeeded in remaining a town. Not sure about Lynchburg. Drive up an down any SC rural road and you will see signs for communities.. some of which may have actually have been towns, that do not formally exist. Interesting enough, I see the word "town" and "city" used interchangably. At one time I thought that a community had to have over a certain amount of people to be considered a "city"... believe it was around 10,000. Dont know if that is still the case now or if it just depend on simply what you incorporated as.. Mt Pleasant.. has over 40,000 people but is the Town of Mt. Pleasant.. as is Irmo which is over 10,000. Forest Acres , also over 10,000 is identifies itself as a the City of Forest Acres. Maybe now its more of a marketing thing?? "town of" may make a community seem more rural inviting uncomplicated.. but "City of" makes the community feel more urban or sophisticated???
When a municipality incorporates in South Carolina they decide on the designation of town, city, etc. and this can change if desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina