U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,014 times
Default Snowbirds

My husband and I are beginning to think about retirement. We live in upstate NY and are tired of the cold and snow. I am looking for input regarding areas of South Carolina near the coast where we might comfortably spend the winters. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

35 posts, read 87,133 times
We are going to the Murrells Inlet area for a 'look-see' in August. We will be retiring next year--but really would prefer something a little more rural. How to set ourselves up down there is a challenging thought. We'll be coming from NJ with no real destination. Thinking of renting a condo for a yr., and spanning out from there on wkend trips to see what we find. Yes, we too are tired of the snow and TAXES!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 AM

748 posts, read 1,092,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
We are going to the Murrells Inlet area for a 'look-see' in August. We will be retiring next year--but really would prefer something a little more rural. How to set ourselves up down there is a challenging thought. We'll be coming from NJ with no real destination. Thinking of renting a condo for a yr., and spanning out from there on wkend trips to see what we find. Yes, we too are tired of the snow and TAXES!
Renting for a year and exploring the state sounds like an excellent idea and tip for others in your same situation!

If you want a rural retirement setting, you are coming to the right place.

I'm in the Upstate region (Northwest region of the state around Greenville and Spartanburg--farthest from the coast) and there are many retirees who come to rural communities around here.

If you are interested in the Myrtle Beach area though, I'd suggest looking at the rest of Horry County outside of the "Grand Strand" beaches because Horry is mostly a large rural county. Check out towns like Little River, Aynor and Socastee. These are more rural in feel yet close to the beach. Not sure if retirees locate to these places, but it's worth a look.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM

539 posts, read 916,032 times
Not sure where in NY you're coming from, but keep in mind your hobbies. There is very little to do here, besides golf, unless you make friends, which I'm sure you'll do since there's a bazillion retirees! We prefer trips to Charleston with the family and the dog since they have many outstanding dog parks, points of interest, and seem much more family/dog friendly. MB is basically for tourists, honestly. Like innovator said, consider the outskirts. You may like towns like Little River, or even Pawleys Island (gorgeous!) and close to Charleston.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Well, we just vacationed in Pawleys Island--hoping to find a place to retire--and the choice has been made-- We are from a very rural area of NJ (yes, this exists!)--and think we want the coast. Pawleys Island, Litchfield area is so calm. Easy to get around.. very polite folks there--and we definitely will retire to that area, rent a furnished condo for a year (to see the seasons cycle)..travel around the state...store our "stuff' in a SC storage unit somewhere--and being our new life away from the snows and high taxes. Can't wait!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM

539 posts, read 916,032 times
You picked a beautiful area! You'll enjoy the lack of snow and cold during the winder, but at Christmas it will be a little wierd, trust me!! Enjoy your retirement

Old 09-22-2009, 06:24 AM

21 posts, read 69,713 times
NYSW - I moved down to the Hilton Head area after living north of Syracuse for 20+ years. Love it. I'd throw in keeping in mind the Hilton Head / Bluffton / Beaufort area of the Lowcountry as well. Close to Savannah and Charleston with great views and a relaxing lifestyle. Something to consider looking into!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Pawleys Island Real Estate

Is it cheaper to rent or buy on Pawleys Island. We're coming from NJ--retired--and will be living on around 5600 a month. We have medical insurance and no debts. We don't understand the tax structure in SC. Can anyone help?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Status: "want to be beach bound, again, soon! lol" (set 22 days ago)

5,380 posts, read 9,425,757 times
I would think with the current economy you would be better off renting. If you buy a house in Pawley's and then don't like the congestion that the summer brings next year you won't have to sell a house. We stay in Litchfield when we come to the beach in the summer and love it there. But it will be quite different in the summer months.

As far as taxes you will pay a yearly tax on any property you own, i.e., home, auto, boat, motorcycle, RV. Someone in Horry or Georgetown county would be better at giving you ideas on what those run.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,266,768 times
Quote:
We don't understand the tax structure in SC. Can anyone help?
Don't feel bad. I've lived in SC most of my life, and I still cannot figure it out. Tax bills come in the mail, then you pay them. Other than that, it's all done by black magic, with a heapin' batch of confusion stirred in by the Columbia Legislative Zoo.

Here's a Tax Guide for New Residents. As far as real estate taxes, they vary from county to county, based upon the purchase price of your home. <More Info> (http://www.screaltors.com/webinar/Property_Tax_Brochure.pdf - broken link) If you'll call the Georgetown County Auditor's Office, they are usually very helpful in answering questions.

If you figure it out, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina