Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

I used to be the guy that ran all up and down these forums hot and heavy about how transplants are taking over the South. I really did, and trust me, about a year ago this place was full of North vs. South debates, flame wars, the entire works.

Most of what I was assuming was the "Northern Takeover" came from the fact that I couldn't find a single South Carolina native when I moved to Greenville.

However, I then discovered some data from the IRS that shows taxpayer county to county movement. And while yes, places like Greenville and Columbia (and other places in the South) have swelled, most of the growth is internal. Case in point; Low Country blacks moving to Columbia and people from the 96 district moving to Greenville or Columbia metro areas.

I soon found out that yes, Northerners, Westerners, Californians, Pacific Northwesterners, etc. all move here in large numbers. However, they are scattered throughout the counties. Rarely did you see an out of state location on the top 10 sources of migration. There are obviously exceptions to this, but the fact is there wasn't the 'takover' I had originally thought was happening.

Of course, North Carolina is a completely different story, but also a whole 'nother issue. The pattern seems to be happening throughout the Sunbelt region of the US. But as scattered as transplants are, I see no way that they could dilute the culture. Like I said, there are exceptions, but overall things are not so dire.

I would say the worst problems brought by transplants are sprawl, traffic, and the concept of changing our ways. Other than that I think we are in the clear. Since the number of people moving down as significantly slowed, we can work on converting the ones already here before the next wave comes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 AM

765 posts, read 1,911,195 times
Man you should see Aiken it's identity is all but gone.. Most of the locals have been pushed to the outskirts of town farther and farther away.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Man you should see Aiken it's identity is all but gone.. Most of the locals have been pushed to the outskirts of town farther and farther away.
Pushed? Howso? And by whom? I'm thinking that not all of those people were from NJ and Michigan.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Pushed? Howso? And by whom? I'm thinking that not all of those people were from NJ and Michigan.
They were genrally taxed out of their homes and land and forced to sell.. And the general demograpic is NJ, NY and PA .. There is very few locals left in the downtown area There is even a new ghetto formed on the northside to accomadate the displaced people from downtown.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
They were genrally taxed out of their homes and land and forced to sell.. And the general demograpic is NJ, NY and PA .. There is very few locals left in the downtown area There is even a new ghetto formed on the northside to accomadate the displaced people from downtown.
I'm sorry, but that all seems pretty darned anecdotal. I've got family not far from Aiken, and they paint a picture that's a little less bleak than all that. Aiken isn't Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,745 times
I get referred to as a "Mommy" instead of a "Mama." YEEEKS!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM

It's not bleak just disappointing . I see this towns identity disappearing more and more. But what can you do? Change happens. I personally moved to the country and i am doing fine.. But what some of the developers do is just downright shady at times, and more than once i have been forced to deal with an unpleasant transplant. Dealing with an unpleasant local is easier because i probably know them or their family.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
locals pushed to the outskirts? hmmmm... I don't think I've seen that many sold signs in the neighborhoods around downtown.

Where is the new ghetto on the northside? Are you talking about the Trolley Station subdivision area?

Do you work at the DMV or something so that you know where everyone is coming from when they buy their new car plates or register to vote? How do you know which states most of the unpleasant transplants are coming from? Personally, I just can't tell where everyone is from just by looking at them while I'm shopping at Kroger.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

The ghetto i refer to is Crosland park and yes most of them as i said are displaced people from downtown .... And do you dispute the fact that very few "locals " are left downtown ???? Anyone can look and see how the influx of outside influence is changing the demograpics of this town. People are in fact being taxed out of their property and yes the shady developers are ruining Aiken.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Crosland Park has been around for a number of years, and I've been told that it has been a number of years that it has been less than desirable. I don't think it is a "new ghetto". On the contrary, I think the problems in Crosland Park are long standing and have nothing to do with newcomers moving into Aiken.

Which of the developers are the shady ones? Names some names. Inquiring minds want to know.

Where do you get the demographics of the town? I'd like to see those figures.

And, you never responded to where you got the "fact" that the "general demographic is NJ, NY, and PA". I'd like to see your data on that.

Incidentally, in the past 2 years, there have been 10 new people in my office who moved here from another state. Not a single one of them is from NJ, NY, or PA. That's my anecdotal evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina