Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Aiken starting in june. I don't want to live in Aiken because its too small. Augusta and Columbia are much bigger cities. Both cities are growing and about the same distance to Aiken. Where should I live i can't decide? Im leaning towards Augusta but I like Columbia too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstorm1 View Post
I will be working in Aiken starting in june. I don't want to live in Aiken because its too small. Augusta and Columbia are much bigger cities. Both cities are growing and about the same distance to Aiken. Where should I live i can't decide? Im leaning towards Augusta but I like Columbia too.
While I would recommend Columbia since it is where we chose to relocate too and have been pretty pleased thus far w/our decision, I'm not going to diss Augusta b/c I'm not real familiar w/it. However, I do know that Aiken is actually much closer (less than 20 miles) to Augusta as opposed to nearly 60 miles from Columbia. So not sure who told you they were about the same distance - even Lexington on the west side of the Cola metro would be a good 40-45 miles from Aiken. So, if you like Augusta, I'd probably recommend there just so you have a more reasonable commute.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Augusta is certainly much closer to Augusta, but Columbia is larger than Augusta. I would visit both cities and see what feel you get. I wouldn't totally dismiss Aiken, either. It's a nice town and you can always drive to Augusta or Columbia for other things to do.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Several of the people I work with live on the Georgia side, around Augusta. They say it is more affordable to live there - housing prices, taxes, etc., are supposedly lower. I don't know for a fact, tho, as I live and work in Aiken.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,781 times
Default Choose Aiken!

I think Aiken is the best of both worlds. It's between Augusta and Columbia and an easy drive to either place. Aiken is definately quieter but it also has less traffic, crime, and lower taxes.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 AM

61 posts, read 267,801 times
Live in Aiken. Why get involved in a commute. If gas prices go back up you will be sorry you have that expense. You can go to Columbia and Augusta for whatever you think is in a big city. There are some potential tax issues as you would reside in GA but you would be paying SC income tax cause you work there. Also, check with other issues such as insurance and car registration and other advantages or disadvantages of living in either state.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM

68 posts, read 515,882 times
I grew up in Aiken, now live in Augusta. I can't imagine driving from Columbia. I do know people who drive to Columbia for work, just because of lack of opportunities in the Augusta/Aiken area. Why not North Augusta which is in Aiken county in SC? It's right across the river from Augusta, two minutes from downtown, quick interstate access, way more affordable housing. I've lived in Aiken, North Augusta, and Augusta.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 53,589 times
I live and work in Aiken, and have been thinking about moving to Columbia and commuting. Despite the distance, my vote would be for Columbia over Augusta. Augusta is closer, but it is more conservative and less of a city. Columbia is growing, increasingly progressive, and has a nice downtown with lots to do of all kinds. Augusta is an Old-South city, with tenser-than-normal race relations and very conservative ideas. If you want city ambience and city amenities, Columbia would win hands down. But, the commute would be a good hour each way on the freeway.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,190 times
Default South Carolina Home

Thank you for the great advice concerning the diffences in both cities. Speaking as one who has lived in both cities for some time, . .You probably want a less stressful life. You may even enjoy opportunity, . .and the pursuit of happiness. Aiken is peaceful. Columbia has more opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina