Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Okay ... I've been so South Carolina about three times in my life. Spent about a week each time. Traveled a bit around the state so I'm not completely ignorant ... but my question concerns just how cold does it get in SC?

Rain
A good friend of mine grew up in SC. He says one of the reasons he refuses to return is, "that extreme, horrible weather." When pressed, he says the winter storms are real bad. Can someone speak to this?

I've lived in areas like Wyoming so snow and ice are not strangers. But are there prolonged months of near Hurrican-like wind and rains?

Snow
I'm told it only gets about an inch of snow and not every year, true or false?

Heat
I already know about the heat. Humidity too. No need to waste time on that one. (smile)

I only want a clearer picture of what plants will be able to weather the winter if I moved to some place like Rock Hill or St. Mathews.

Oh ... and many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
SC encompasses at least two (maybe 3) climate zones, so that's an awful general question.
All time High temp- 111F set at two locales back in the 30's; -19F is the record low- set at Cesars Head in 1977.
Snowfall ranges from 7" in mtns to a trace on the s. coast.
Those are averages, of course.
Rainfall comes mostly in T-storms, and can be extreme.

But then, the Upcountry has been in an extreme drought for the past few years.

That's all from memory.
NOAA is a good website for such questions.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
my first suggestion for research would be sites where you can get an idea of averages and historical figures. But lately seems even those dont help any. Where i'm at right now, average snow is 46" +/- per year; last year we hit over 100" and this season we're ahead of that pace with over 50" so far. So much for that theory....
We did use some charts and basic info to get an idea for Columbia, but more for comparing from market to market, not necessarily for what it would be like in a specific area.
Good q's though

Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default woaw ....

Are you telling me that the Columbia area is getting approximately 50 inches of snow this year ?????????????????

Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM

nope, where i'm at yet is WI, will be in SC in a couple weeks. Just was stating that averages dont give an entire answer.
didnt mean to scare ya!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:58 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times
Snow is a rare event in SC (with the exception of the moutains) So here is what happens .. The weather man comes on TV says it might snow everyone runs out and buys milk and bread ( I still don't know why) Later the weather man says it will snow schools close... Then it snows everyone has a good time then later in the afternoon it is gone and life resumes. Now every couple of years we have ice.. Same thing as above except more crashed cars and the power lines break.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Okay ... I've been so South Carolina about three times in my life. Spent about a week each time. Traveled a bit around the state so I'm not completely ignorant ... but my question concerns just how cold does it get in SC?

Rain
A good friend of mine grew up in SC. He says one of the reasons he refuses to return is, "that extreme, horrible weather." When pressed, he says the winter storms are real bad. Can someone speak to this?

I've lived in areas like Wyoming so snow and ice are not strangers. But are there prolonged months of near Hurrican-like wind and rains?

Snow
I'm told it only gets about an inch of snow and not every year, true or false?

Heat
I already know about the heat. Humidity too. No need to waste time on that one. (smile)

I only want a clearer picture of what plants will be able to weather the winter if I moved to some place like Rock Hill or St. Mathews.

Oh ... and many thanks.
Extreme weather? I've never thought of SC as having extreme weather. There are about 3 months when it is hot and humid most of the time, but there are often afternoon and evening showers that cool it off and everything is air conditioned. There are occasionally winter storms, but they are rare and it is unusual that they are extreme in any parts of the state. The coast does sometimes receive hurricane conditions, but they are not common and severe hurricanes only hit our state about every 20 years on average. I hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post

Rain
One thing that has come to mind re: "extreme, horrible weather" (esp for the Upcountry) is an icestorm.
Though nowhere as frequent or intense as those in central Ill. or Indiana (icestorm capitals of the nation), the ones in SC (most frequent inland) are also very bad, or have the potential of being.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 AM

^^ out of curiousity; as you've lived in areas south when a winter storm means ice and not snow; as well as up in the midwest where for us we can get ice but it's "rare", but the snow can add up quickly, with the drifting making it even worse.
My opinion, after a recent ice storm here that caused dozens of roll overs in the stretch between Madison and the Dells--i'd prefer to drive in snow. Seems to give one a better feel for the road beneath and you can get some form of traction if driven properly. Ice?? not much you can do once you hit a patch. But in a warmer climate, the ice will melt soon enough. The snow up here can stay for months.

your thoughts?
thx

Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
It's very hard to pinpoint the exact type of weather because just like this winter season, the weather changes from year to year.

The only advice that I can tell you from living here all my life is that the summers are hot and humid, the winters are mostly mild compared to up north and fall can either put you in a t shirt or a sweater. It may or may not snow. If you live further inland and upstate, the snow sticks better than it does at the beach.

January and February are our coldest months. March and April are always strange because you have cool days and slightly warmer days mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina