Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM

45 posts, read 41,041 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a physician working in Connecticut and I'm sick of the winters here. I'm looking to relocate somewhere warm. My first choice was Florida, however I'm having a difficult time finding a decent paying job in a nice location. I've been researching the West Coast and also considering the South. I've never visited South Carolina but have driven through it on a couple of road trips from CT to FL and back so don't really know much about the state. The big problem with California is the exorbitant cost of living so I'm having a look at SC and other southern states.

My ideal location would be a small-mid size town on the coast. I definitely don't want to live in a big congested city and have to deal with traffic.

What's the SC coast like? Are there some decent small-mid sized towns that are usually overlooked by tourists all headed to Myrtle Beach? From what I remember when I drove past Charleston is that it is a typical congested city that didn't seem appealing to me. Perhaps there are nice parts that I didn't see.

How's the cost of living in SC compared to CT? Right now I'm renting an apartment (2b/1b) on the beach (Long Island Sound) in a small town for $1500 and am living very comfortably. In fact, if it weren't for the winters I would just stay here because the summers in CT are amazing.

How cold does it get down in SC on the coast in the winter?

Are there nice beaches in SC comparable to FL?

Is the SC coast prone to storms/tornadoes?

I'm married and no kids yet but they are in the future. Where would you guys suggest is a good place to raise kids?

So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime
- affordable housing (eventually would like to buy some acreage)
- has some culture or at least within driving distance to a city with culture
- great place to raise a family

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Where in South Carolina are are seeking to locate?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Somewhere on the coast

Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Where along South Carolina's coast are you considering?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't know yet. I was hoping to get some suggestions from people who know the state better than I do. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking for a place close to a nice beach, with low crime, affordable housing, good place to raise kids, and has some culture (or at least within driving distance to a city with culture). Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
I don't know yet. I was hoping to get some suggestions from people who know the state better than I do. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking for a place close to a nice beach, with low crime, affordable housing, good place to raise kids, and has some culture (or at least within driving distance to a city with culture). Any suggestions?
What home price range are you looking at? Typically you will not be able to get near the water (within 5 miles) for less than $300K and not on the water for less than $600K.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Have you visited South Carolina?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:03 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:

So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime
- affordable housing (eventually would like to buy some acreage)
- has some culture or at least within driving distance to a city with culture
- great place to raise a family

Thanks!
There's no city I can personally think of that matches everything you want. Imo Beaufort is the closest to what you want, but still not perfect. You can also try Conway and Bluffton.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Have you visited South Carolina?
No I've never visited SC but as I mentioned I have driven through it on my way to FL from CT and back. I don't really know anything about the state other than that it is supposed to be warmer than the NE which is why I'm considering it in my search.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
There's no city I can personally think of that matches everything you want. Imo Beaufort is the closest to what you want, but still not perfect. You can also try Conway and Bluffton.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll look into those towns. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of the towns you mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina