Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM

50 posts, read 113,832 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid 40's and are considering a relocation either to the Columbia or Greenville areas. My job gives me the opportunity to consider many places across the country, so employment will not be and issue. We would just like a little slower pace, with a good environment for our family. We have five children, ranging in age from 16 to 6.

The main concern we have is being accepted and fitting in. I have heard from several friends that grew up in the South that we will always be outsiders. That, combined with the posts here about the anti-yankee thing gives us pause. Is this true?

I was born a yankee, its true, in upstate NY...a red part of the state (as most of upstate is). My wife grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. Since I am second generation Italian, none of my relatives fought in the civil war for either side...they came later . Because of my job we have lived all over the country, mostly in Arizona, Virginia, and Colorado where we live now. We are conservative evangelical Christians, and are very involved in our church. It seems to me if anyone could be accepted from the outiside it would be people like us, but I would like your opinions on that!

So, what do you think? Would folks like yourselves enjoy seeing outsiders like us come in? Or should we look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dan in Co
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,856,141 times
I don't think you will have a problem at all as long as you are good neighbors. But if you do have reservations, choose an area where ther are a significant amount of transplants. I moved to the Waccamaw Neck from LI and there is a nice mixture of transplants and locals. There is also a great variety of Christian denominations. Do your homework and I'm sure you will be accepted where you choose to live.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 AM

286 posts, read 1,473,878 times
Sometimes I believe these sort of posts are just trolling for a rise out of someone....

Greenville is a growing metropolitan and I would venture to guess that 90% of the people I know are transplants from somewhere. Fitting in, for us, is all about putting in the effort. You'd have to do that no matter the town or state you move to.

The larger the town the easier to fit in. Some of these pre-concieved judgements that you mention may happen to a greater extent in the small rural towns. But even then, I've not found it.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Sometimes I believe these sort of posts are just trolling for a rise out of someone....

Greenville is a growing metropolitan and I would venture to guess that 90% of the people I know are transplants from somewhere. Fitting in, for us, is all about putting in the effort. You'd have to do that no matter the town or state you move to.

The larger the town the easier to fit in. Some of these pre-concieved judgements that you mention may happen to a greater extent in the small rural towns. But even then, I've not found it.

Tony, I'm sorry if you thought I was fishing for a rise, because it was never my intention. And the information about Greenville and your experiences is greatly appreciated. Moving a family of seven is a big undertaking as you can imagine, and I apologize if I'm coming across a bit paranoid. We've moved around enough to know that it takes couple years to really settle in somewhere new. I just want to make sure that eventually, we can.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM

286 posts, read 1,473,878 times
No apologies necessary. You do seem to have a genuine concern. Can't fault anyone for doing some research.

Just remember, this is South Carolina, not Iraq or the Sudan. We don't bite.

Seriously, if you happen to come across some close minded fool, it is easy enough to move on to any of the other hundreds of thousands of people here.

I've been here 7 years now and have not run across prejudice once. I have a good idea of where to go to find it, but it's isolated.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 PM

287 posts, read 1,457,909 times
Dont worry about other people, if its right for you..just go.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 PM

64 posts, read 303,265 times
I am pretty sure you would like Greenwood. My neighbors are from NY and I really like them. I can almost guarantee you that if you move next door to a native, they will be there with a casserole or pie to welcome you.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,741,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SClady View Post
I am pretty sure you would like Greenwood. My neighbors are from NY and I really like them. I can almost guarantee you that if you move next door to a native, they will be there with a casserole or pie to welcome you.
That's what happened to me! I moved to SC recently and my neighbors brough a cake and fresh caught shrimp plus offered to cut our grass! No problems here, as long as your friendly and not always comparing NY to SC. By the way, the weather here is really great!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
That's what happened to me! I moved to SC recently and my neighbors brough a cake and fresh caught shrimp plus offered to cut our grass! No problems here, as long as your friendly and not always comparing NY to SC. By the way, the weather here is really great!
That's what we're hoping. Believe it or not, we are trying to find a more humid environment for one of our children. It is very dry here in CO, and living at 7000' makes it worse. We've lived in the Tidewater area, so we basically know what we're getting ourselves into weather wise. Looking forward to milder winters, thats for sure!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 PM

585 posts, read 612,613 times
Everyone and anyone can "fit in" where they want to "fit in". I was born here in the south and over the years have lived in many states. I loved them all but one and that was because I never took Spanish, so where I was in Texas, I had a hard time communicating with most of my neighbors. That is and was the key to me loving any place I had been.....communication.

As far as the weather goes, you may prefer the Greenville area. That is if you do like snow from time to time. No matter where you go in SC, it will never be like NY but Greenville definitely gets more snow than deeper south.

Trust in God to help you make the right decision as to where and all will be fine. As for the majority of the south, we are all friendly and polite. But just like any where else, there will always be a few bad apples. God Bless and may your move be as perfect as you dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina