Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times

Advertisements

Some counties in SC are in the upper teens.

Jobless rate hits 9.5% (http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/28/jobless_rate_hits69742/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Unfortunately I think it will get worse. I think it is fairly telling that the jobs lost in business/professional services is larger than Hospitality and construction combined. This isn't just one area of the eonomy tanking like some seem to believe. I am surprised the government number hadn't dereased I have heard about layoffs from several state agencies here in Charleston. Also MUSC and the local schools are discussing cutting positions so I would assume they have to show up somewhere.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Wow!

We're in the 6% range up here and it's scary.

Since the UE rate captures only 50% of the truly unemployed, that means the true SC rate is approx. 18%.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Wow!

We're in the 6% range up here and it's scary.

Since the UE rate captures only 50% of the truly unemployed, that means the true SC rate is approx. 18%.
The 3 major metros are all among the lowest counties(between 6.5 - 8% I believe). The problem SC has is it's rural counties really drag it's number down (or up in this case). If you look at the table, a couple counties are in the 18-19% range, yikes! There was a good editorial in the State here yesterday about the need to help those areas economically as even in good times those rural counties unemployment rates stay in the double digits.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:03 PM

If "low" is 6.5% (That's 13% in real terms) vs the approx 4-5% (8-10% reality) here, then standby for the Bastille to be stormed.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
yeah well....here's one for you all...Wilmington Ohio where DHL had it's American headquarters.
DHL is pulling out of the USA entirely. 6 out of 10 people in Wilmington work directly / indirectly with DHL, Wilmington will have a 60% unemployment rate for their county.
It's not a big town but still, the town will basically about fold up.

My company today, (located in Charlotte)had another 25 people let go, even after they told us 2 months ago they were finished with laying off....They had actually hired 3 people a month ago, and let everyone of them go today. Why do that to people???

Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
The 3 major metros are all among the lowest counties(between 6.5 - 8% I believe). The problem SC has is it's rural counties really drag it's number down (or up in this case). If you look at the table, a couple counties are in the 18-19% range, yikes! There was a good editorial in the State here yesterday about the need to help those areas economically as even in good times those rural counties unemployment rates stay in the double digits.
Agreed, in my area of SC not one of my neighbors is laid off....so far.
However a county South, Lancaster? way over 12 %. Then again where I live most of us work in NC (charlotte) so, not sure how those figures get figured up....in the NC % or the SC %? Since the claims would be filed with NC for the unemployment, then SC would not be aware correct?

So for the people on border states, the figures are not accurate I'd say.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Note the 4-5% I refer to is the rate for the major metros up here (Madison, Fox Cities, Green Bay, Wausau). Milwaukee and that Racine-Kenosha corridor way down south have higher rates.

6% overall for state as a whole.

Climbing as is everywhere else in US.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 AM

135 posts, read 525,807 times
Thumbs down Stressed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
yeah well....here's one for you all...Wilmington Ohio where DHL had it's American headquarters.
DHL is pulling out of the USA entirely. 6 out of 10 people in Wilmington work directly / indirectly with DHL, Wilmington will have a 60% unemployment rate for their county.
It's not a big town but still, the town will basically about fold up.

My company today, (located in Charlotte)had another 25 people let go, even after they told us 2 months ago they were finished with laying off....They had actually hired 3 people a month ago, and let everyone of them go today. Why do that to people???
Mrs. P, I totally undertand what you're saying. Where I work, the same thing is occuring. I used to have four people working in the cube around me, I am the only one remaining. We had formed our own "family" within the workplace, because we all worked together for so long and looked out for each other. It is disheartening and unnerving to say the least when I go to work now. All decisons were "performance based". I'm grateful to still have my job, but I work all day wondering..will they walk me out today? I 've witnessed HR do this four times within the last 1 1/2 months to people I know!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
It's sad, it really is.

What I can't understand is how SC is pushing for 1-73 in our area. I know it will bring jobs and revenue but I think the money would be better spent for the unemployment funding crisis we are facing and to fix the existing roads in SC. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina