Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,008,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
It's sad, it really is.

What I can't understand is how SC is pushing for 1-73 in our area. I know it will bring jobs and revenue but I think the money would be better spent for the unemployment funding crisis we are facing and to fix the existing roads in SC. JMO.

I kind of agree about I-73, while it will shorten the drive time to Myrtle Beach for those coming from the midwest, I think people who want to go there will go regardless of whether there is an interstate or not - plus, when it takes 11 or 12 hours, shaving an hour or so off isn't really that big of a deal, it's still a long drive! Unless they are going to make the speed limit 85 or something (which of course they won't), it really won't make that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. I think our country/state would be better served in making sure every current expressway/highway are in good condition first, and then worry about future roads later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,803,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
What I can't understand is how SC is pushing for 1-73 in our area...
Right on, although I'm not sure the I-73 push extends too far beyond the Grand Strand area. My take is that the upstate and midlands could care less. Unfortunately, the Grand Strand fixates totally on tourism, despite the historically low wages it generates. If Horry county would redirect these efforts toward attracting industry to the inland portions of the county, they could begin to create a tax base that extends beyond tourists and retirees. Of course, that would distract from the time currently spent on the war against bike weeks.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,972,250 times
What it means is that the Constuction and Tourist lobby is stronger in Columbia than is the Social Welfare lobby.

Go figure.........

Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,534,084 times
What would help this state immensely is if they would start popping the people who LIVE here that have expired license plates, meaning they pay no taxes. Especially out of state plates. This has long been a real thorn in my side, when I see 3 neighbors less than a block apart with expired plates over 2 years old.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Ah, but thats enforcement.
Meaning tax $.

I've got an idea. How about making Multinationals- like BMW- pay their fair share.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,534,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Ah, but thats enforcement.
Meaning tax $.

I've got an idea. How about making Multinationals- like BMW- pay their fair share.

How about they put something on their already established www site,so that someone could put the plate # and address of car? How much extra would that cause them? In my neighborhood alone it would take them 15 minutes to drive by and see if the offense was indeed true. They could mail the ticket and give the offenders 48 hours to get down to their local DMV / tax bureau and pay their fair share.

Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-01-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Good idea, but it gets you peanuts.

Whereas if you tax the multinats.........

Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM

26 posts, read 57,255 times
I have a brother who works for a big plumbing outfit in MB. He said they are so slow it is not funny. they have 7 men on staff and last Friday they had 6 calls. Now the company wants them to go from 400$ per call to 800$ per call. That's right they are mandating how much your avg. call has to be. So if you get a call to fix the leak in the sink you have to push to have something else fixed. This is making the men push fixes that are not nessessary. At the same time they are raising the prices on each fix. They are at 189$ to replace a toilet seat. The same seat you can pick up at wal-mart for 9.99 and replace yourself in 5 min. This is recipe for disaster. The company is based out of Memphis and when people in high rise offices dictate how to con money out of customers it is the beginning of the end for the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina