U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM

23 posts, read 41,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
Oh, by the way, believe it or not, my car insurance is more in SC than FL, and I lived in Orlando. Same insurance company.
Must have been a while ago. Orlando is terrible. Houses broken into, cars stolen out of driveways (and I live in Avalon Park), one of the highest crime rates in the US now. It's "Miami, jr."

Orlando used to be different, much different. It's almost like Orlando has a welcome mat for criminals and malconents. Greenville much better, friendlier, less crime, better economy. And btw, more and more foreigners are moving in, and more and more Americans are leaving. Orlando has changed, and it sucks, especially being a FL native, but I have to face reality. The quality of life has gone down hill, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 5,910,709 times
I live in Orlando, my family lives in SC - Dillon. Here is what I've found....

SC (in the rural areas) has much cheaper cost of living. However, the more urban areas (if any place in SC could be considered urban, but you understand my meaning) of Greenville, Columbia and especially Charleston seem to be about equal to Florida. Some comparisons:

Florida:
No state income tax/no tax on car (car registration runs around $30-$80 a year depending on your car - my mom pays over $600 taxes on her car in SC)

Gas is higher in Florida due to about .40 a gallon state gas tax

No sales tax on food or drugs in Florida

Cheaper Car Insurance

Housing was much more expensive but has now come down to about the same levels as SC in many places.

Home Owners Insurance CAN be more expensive depending on where you live - however it has come down drastically. I just purchased an annual policy on a 3200 square foot home with a pool for $690 with Allstate. I doubt you could do much better in SC.

Property Taxes are HIGH in Florida unless you've lived here awhile and can take advantage of the SOH (Save Our Homes) program which caps your annual increase to a maximum of 3%. The average millage rate is around 1.8% minus a 50K homestead deduction which comes off the top. My home is assessed for tax purposed at $289K, I pay $4400 a year in property taxes after homestead and SOH is applied. I lived in my previous home for 18 years and was only paying $900 a year in property taxes on a $200K home. So the property tax issue here is grossly unfair IMHO.

Hopefully some of this info will be helpful to you. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM

155 posts, read 30,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
Oh, by the way, believe it or not, my car insurance is more in SC than FL, and I lived in Orlando. Same insurance company.

Why would that be? That doesnt make any sense. I live in Orlando - in one of the "nicer" areas... there are cars getting stolen out of driveways where we are... and houses are $300k and $400k... not bragging or anything like that, just showing you what it's like in Orlando now.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,262,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design&Build View Post
Why would that be? That doesnt make any sense. I live in Orlando - in one of the "nicer" areas... there are cars getting stolen out of driveways where we are... and houses are $300k and $400k... not bragging or anything like that, just showing you what it's like in Orlando now.
Figures released this year put SC #2 spot for drunken drivers, and we have many drivers uninsured, and actually never licensed (this per my insurance agent with State Farm). You're talking rural here, for a majority of this state. Florida is much more populated with large cities than SC.

Oh I think it was Montana? that was #1 for drunk drivers...or one of those ridiculously cold states..

And stealing a car out of a driveway costs the insurance carrier less money, than say a drunk who hits someone head on (as in hospital costs, suits for injuries and or deaths)

Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,262,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
SC isn't the lowest in the US for schools. That would be Washington, DC.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/nde/statecomp/sortingSingleYear.asp (broken link)
South Carolina's average was actually 2 points above the national in this ranking for mathematics, 8th grade, 2007. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, DC, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, and West Virginia ALL scored under South Carolina's average.
That's 22 states under SC out of 51 (including DC). That makes us right at the middle... a little under... but *hardly* worst in the US.
That may will be, but SC is no where near the middle. It has consistantly rated in the lowest 5 on and off.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 AM

165 posts, read 433,526 times
Cost of living - FL is way more expensive overall. SC is a lot cheaper in gas, property taxes, and housing (The reason why is very evident in a lot of places here though), but overall quality of life is a lot poorer.

I'm actually trying now to move out of SC (Dillon) to FL (Somewhere in Martin County).

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM

8,059 posts, read 8,661,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Figures released this year put SC #2 spot for drunken drivers, and we have many drivers uninsured, and actually never licensed (this per my insurance agent with State Farm). You're talking rural here, for a majority of this state. Florida is much more populated with large cities than SC.

Oh I think it was Montana? that was #1 for drunk drivers...or one of those ridiculously cold states..

And stealing a car out of a driveway costs the insurance carrier less money, than say a drunk who hits someone head on (as in hospital costs, suits for injuries and or deaths)
It is worse in FL, the state is LOADED with uninsured and unlicensed drivers. It is estimated 40% of the drivers have no car insurance, and it is the 4th most populated state.

FL is also the hit and run capital of the US.

We're looking at SC, nicer people and a better quality of life than what FL has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina