U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM

8,719 posts, read 14,281,855 times
Default Cost of living SC vs FL

Just wondering how they compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 PM

29 posts, read 52,083 times
Well, having lived in both states (growing up in SC, currently living in FL), I would say that FL is BY FAR more expensive. Especially if you live in south Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale). Everything is more expensive in FL. Housing, food, gas, insurance, taxes, etc. Worse yet, wages in FL are at the same level and in some cases lower than they are in SC. I'll be moving back to SC as soon as I get the opportunity.

SC equals better quality of life and lower cost of living, no brainer.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM

8,719 posts, read 14,281,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdb View Post
Well, having lived in both states (growing up in SC, currently living in FL), I would say that FL is BY FAR more expensive. Especially if you live in south Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale). Everything is more expensive in FL. Housing, food, gas, insurance, taxes, etc. Worse yet, wages in FL are at the same level and in some cases lower than they are in SC. I'll be moving back to SC as soon as I get the opportunity.

SC equals better quality of life and lower cost of living, no brainer.
Just out of curiosity, why did you leave?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,206,806 times
SC : Cheaper gas, real estate, cigarettes
SC: Higher state tax (since Florida has none)
SC: Utilities usually cheaper

Car insurance about the same both states are high compared to other states. My car insurance doubled when I moved here.

Home insurance, can be as high as Florida if one lives near the coast of SC..otherwise SC is much cheaper.

Remember however, SC is the worst in the US for schools, this may or may not affect you. Crime in both states can be an issue, just have to watch where one lives.

Senior citizen housing much more affordable and much more available in FL. Here in my part of SC, you're lucky to find anything under 150,000.00 with most much over the 200,000.00 price range.

SC is starting to recognize that some more affordable housing is needed for seniors, but it's far and few between.

In my community within 30 miles there are only 3 55 and over communities and they are all expensive to buy/live in. Once in awhile you'll find one of the one floor ranch units for 140,000.00 or so, but they don't have the great activities for seniors like Florida has.

To Me? When I retire, I'm moving to Florida. I do not care for winter here in SC. I prefer tropical weather though.

These above opinions are just from personal experience of my own, and my friends who've moved to Florida to retire.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM

61 posts, read 183,003 times
SC has an income tax. If you don't live in your house and live part time elsewhere you can get hit with property taxes that make FL look cheap. I have houses in both places and am selling the SC house. It is very nice etc but I find it is too cold and heating costs during the winter will gobble up most of the insurance and other savings. SC is cheaper but I am not sure by how much anymore. It just depends what you are looking for. The Aiken area is nice and I really like it.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM

21 posts, read 30,066 times
I agree with Jack, I have lived in both SC and currently in Florida and yes we don't have a state tax but everything else is so expensive. My daughter who lives in Irmo pays half of what I do in Florida for utilities and rent... Also I am an accountant for a company that has 18 branches in FL, GA and SC and the property taxes in SC and GA are a fraction of what we pay in FL. In the Charleston area we payed $400 and in Tampa we paid close to $12,000 for the exact same thing. I am moving back to SC in April and can't wait...

Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM

129 posts, read 239,982 times
Housing can be cheaper in SC, but it all depends on where you live. Yeah SouthFL is expensive, but this is not the case everywhere in FL. With the housing market collapse in FL, you can find some great deals. Food is the same, gas is cheaper in SC. Way more things to do in FL though. Wages are very comparable. Personally, I'll take FL over SC any day of the week. You also have to pay taxes on your car each year in SC, which is at least double that of car registration in FL

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM

129 posts, read 239,982 times
Oh, by the way, believe it or not, my car insurance is more in SC than FL, and I lived in Orlando. Same insurance company.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,206,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
Oh, by the way, believe it or not, my car insurance is more in SC than FL, and I lived in Orlando. Same insurance company.
That does not surprise me. But I was advised before I moved here that insurance in SC was pretty high for auto. So what we save ib gas tax we more than pay for on insurance.

There's some good and some bad in every state.

SAME CAR:

700.00 Ohio insurance 250.00 deductible 2004- mid 2005

1200.00 NC insurance 500.00 deductible (eventually lowered to 800.00 when the insurance company <ahem> found their error. mid 2005- mid 2007

800.00 SC insurance and had to up my deductible to 1,000.00 mid 2007 to current 2009

No tickets, no wrecks ever. Same car sitting in my driveway and 4 years older.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:24 AM

302 posts, read 449,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Remember however, SC is the worst in the US for schools, this may or may not affect you. Crime in both states can be an issue, just have to watch where one lives.
SC isn't the lowest in the US for schools. That would be Washington, DC.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/nde/statecomp/sortingSingleYear.asp (broken link)
South Carolina's average was actually 2 points above the national in this ranking for mathematics, 8th grade, 2007. Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, DC, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, and West Virginia ALL scored under South Carolina's average.
That's 22 states under SC out of 51 (including DC). That makes us right at the middle... a little under... but *hardly* worst in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina